How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

11-07-2010
scenester

Paris Texas. But that's already been done.
How about bout de souffle (Breathless)? Jean Seberg was stunning, such a tragedy.

source

source

source

13-07-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffany View Post
Marie Antoinette wasn't much of a film but it was so beautiful. Thank you for posting those amazing stills

Really? I loved the movie. Such a departure from the hum-drum period pieces and biopics so regularly foisted on us. I admire it for being different. And for me, I thought it showed a really interesting side to a famous woman. The party scenes, endless decadence, and fun music helped to liven up the film a bit. And I mean, it's so ridiculously gorgeous you could watch it on mute and it'd still be a masterpiece visually.

but I guess it's not everybody's cup of tea.

13-07-2010
windowshopping

This thread could quite possibly be the best thing since sliced bread.

13-07-2010
backstage pass

^ so glad I found this thread, I want to see all the movies on here I have not seen yet!

13-07-2010
trendsetter

http://visuallyoverwhelming.tumblr.com/

14-07-2010
rising star

Frau im Mond / By Rocket to the Moon (1929)

my caps

15-07-2010
trendsetter

Which movie is this kingofversailles?

15-07-2010
fashion elite

^ House of flying Daggers

15-07-2010
unspecified

it's so ridiculously gorgeous you could watch it on mute and it'd still be a masterpiece visually.
but I guess it's not everybody's cup of tea.[/quote]

I think this is what she ment. it seems to be a visual only proyect. I wouldn't even get near to call it a masterpiece, only a hype movie that mixes scene kids with history icons.

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style

Last edited by Petit Lucille; 15-07-2010 at 08:08 AM.

15-07-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petit Lucille View Post
it's so ridiculously gorgeous you could watch it on mute and it'd still be a masterpiece visually.

I think this is what she ment. it seems to be a visual only proyect. I wouldn't even get near to call it a masterpiece, only a hype movie that mixes scene kids with history icons.
I so agree with you. I think the movie the duchess was much better even tho it was quite depressing and sad IMO

15-07-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petit Lucille View Post

Well I submit that the story works very well and that Sofia Coppola's choice to include music from when she was growing up, hundreds of years later, to have everyone at court speaking the way each individual actors speaks, to focus on the decadence....I think it helps make Marie a more relateable character. That a 14 would get shipped off to a foreign land, forced to marry someone she didn't choose, was given every possible luxury and then blamed for taking advantage....it really makes her a more sympathetic character. The movie is like...magic. It's so dreamy, calm, luxurious... I've never seen anything like it. However, it is primarily a visual movie and there's nothing wrong with that. Some movies are all about clever dialogue and they skimp on attractive visuals. Some movies are all about character drama. It takes all kinds. Marie Antoinette happens to flourish beyond almost any other films in the visual department and so in that respect, I can't even see that one could argue it's value. Obviously different people want different things in movies. I thought The Duchess, for example, was too melodramatic, even though for the most part I liked it a great deal.

As for The Duchess

Last edited by KINGofVERSAILLES; 15-07-2010 at 11:14 AM.

15-07-2010
V.I.P.

^Marie Antoinette is actually my favorite film, and it's sad that everyone reads it the way they do. It's not really a period drama at all. The viewer shouldn't expect the same thing as they would from a film like The Duchess a huge climax or anything, because rather than focusing on telling a story, Coppola spends the entire film elaborating on a mood. The movie's just as much about melancholy as it is Marie Antoinette, and it's not too dissimilar from Lost in Translation, which on the other hand got oodles of critical acclaim.

I think a lot of people find it easy to write off though because of the complete superficiality of the characters, but really, isn't that the point? The whole film shows rich kids dressing up and spending their money on parties and cakes and clothes, but beneath it all, there's a palpable sense of their boredom and ennui. Other directors have done some very similar things, (Antonioni comes to mind right away) but for whatever reason they've been celebrated because of their use of visuals and slow narratives. I'm not going to argue that this particular Coppola deserves a place up there with the masters of cinema, but it'd be nice if she got some credit for her most ambitious project.

15-07-2010
V.I.P.

I'm over Sofia's movies (poor little rich girl stories are the most boring of all!) but I'll happily look at the screencaps

15-07-2010
trendsetter

Lost in Translation was one of my favorite movies of the decade. But I understand why some people don't like it...

15-07-2010
.my prison is your brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejarc View Post
But I understand why some people don't like it...
I don't.

Just kidding. But then again, not really....

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, fashion, film, movie, stills