How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-01-2013
backstage pass

Performance art
Quote:
In art, performance art is a performance presented to an audience, traditionally interdisciplinary. Performance may be either scripted or unscripted, random or carefully orchestrated; spontaneous or otherwise carefully planned with or without audience participation. The performance can be live or via media; the performer can be present or absent. It can be any situation that involves four basic elements: time, space, the performer's body, or presence in a medium, and a relationship between performer and audience. Performance art can happen anywhere, in any venue or setting and for any length of time. The actions of an individual or a group at a particular place and in a particular time constitute the work. Wikipedia.

I really love this kind of art, so I want to know more. I think the most famous artist of this art movement is Marina Abramović, she is the "grandmother of performance art".

Marina Abramović & Ulay - Rest Energy (1980)

The artists held a taut bow with an arrow loaded and pointing at Abramovic’s heart, with only the weight of their bodies maintaining the tension. Microphones recorded their rapidly accelerating heartbeats.

hd.cnscg.com

Anya Liftig - Rubber Bands

artslant.com

Chris Burden - Shoot (1971)

He was shot in his left arm by an assistant from a distance of about five meters.

studyblue.com

Last edited by Perickles; 07-01-2013 at 04:24 AM.

10-01-2013
backstage pass

Leigh Bowery @ d'Offay

backstage pass

Marta Minujín - Operación Perfume

metro951.com

fotolog- catalogodearte

spraying the streets with Diesel Fuel For Life.

backstage pass

Meat Joy by Carolee Schneemann

freeartlondon - wordpress

thepoliticsofcruelty tumblr

Last edited by Perickles; 13-01-2013 at 04:30 PM.
17-01-2013
backstage pass

Blue Women Art by Yves Klein (1962)

mccullagh.org

backstage pass

Piège pour un voyeur by Michel Journiac - 1969

altblog.be

backstage pass

unfortunately I don't understand french, is there any way you could expand what the above piece is about, as it looks interesting! Also thank you Perickles for all your contributions to this thread, as performance art is something I shall be exploring later on in the spring, so all this research is great

backstage pass

Piège pour un voyeur (Trap for a Voyeur), first version in 1969. This is about a human cage of white neon lights at Galerie Patricia Dorfmann, ensnaring the body of the hostage in the strict geometries of Minimalist sculpture. Michel Journiac was one of the founders of the Body Art movement in France and as a gay man activist, he attacked society's stereotypes, defended those who existed outside of daily society, and challenged traditional moral values.

backstage pass

Yoko Ono, Cut piece, 1965
Happy Birthday Yoko

last.fm

sweettalkonthespot.com

backstage pass

Kim Beom screams at yellow paint

blogs.walkerart.org

backstage pass

Fashion Victims by Yolanda Dominguez
Quote:
Now we all know and understand the term ‘fashion victim’, but performance artist Yolanda Dominguez gave a whole new spin on it with her new piece entitled ‘Fashion Victim’. The piece is a response to the recent disaster that happened in Bangladesh when more than 1.000 textile workers including many women and children died after their workshop collapsed. Yolanda placed women on Madrid’s Gran Via shopping street under rubble and a selection of fashion accessories she called “an appeal for responsible production and consumption, both for people and the planet”. Though provocative – it is obvious these type of performances need to happen to create some kind of awareness. Visuals are fantastic.

source: blendbureaux.com

fashion elite

when an idea is getting too literal, there really is no need to execute. I don't want to point out which that is/are, but this type of art sometimes can be very very superficial.

03-06-2013
backstage pass

Sometimes I think that when the art work is too conceptual you aren't able to represent what you want to say in a clear and understandable way, because you have no a good power of synthesis, which is a talent that everyone wants to have. Of course, it depends of the context, for example in this case of the fashion victim, is a good way to say what she wants to the mass. Arts are not only for snobs in a museum.

Last edited by Perickles; 03-06-2013 at 09:16 PM.
03-06-2013
fashion elite

just in case if you think that is, I was not talking about Fashion Victims. that was purely what I feel after seeing too much of sh!tty stuffs.

20-08-2013
fashion elite

I don't just try to find the bad part of it, it just came to me that I feel instantly have to post it here.
how complete bs it is!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
art, performance