How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-07-2008
V.I.P.

Found another article Written by TFSer Susie Bubble @ dazeddigital

Being inside a shop full of mirrors, constantly confronted by your own reflection, may not sound all that appealing; but this is the result of a completely new approach to luxury retail environments conceived by Belgian designer Raf Simons, who for the first time has been given completely creative control to design the new flagship Jil Sander store in downtown New York. You enter this 6,300 square foot space and are confronted not by rails but by a ground floor presentation space which has the capability to display an entire season's collection. This then leads to a mirrored staircase made out of turning mirror panels, and on the second floor you're introduced to the apparel and accessories in a much more intimate setting.

"I wanted to look for an alternative, a kind of passage to shopping," says Simons. "This space will offer the chance to experience the collection, the house and the atmosphere of the brand on a level between a fashion show and shopping itself. The ground floor is a different kind of store window for me, a more private one, a much more personal moment than standing on the street."

Simons invited the Dutch artist Germaine Kruip to create a point of distraction in the space and to come up with a concept for the staircase, the lighting and the dressing rooms. The store could easily have been one blank spacious room but she disrupts it a little by adding the turning mirror panel staircase and placing three mirrored changing room cubes in the middle of the room.

"The turning mirrors create a space that is in a constantly in flux," Krup explains. "The visitor entering the space is confronted with their reflection appearing and disappearing. The reflection of the light caused by the movement of the mirrors changes the experience of time and space, your entrance, your passage, your personal walk through the shop."
It isn't just the Jil Sander customers who will experience this reflective space. Passersby will see a constant movement in the windows as the white blinds slowly turn in, opening and closing the view into the shop. Kruip wanted to "create a constant visual dialogue between the exterior and interior, between the world of fashion and art and the relation it has to the streets and the daily life passing by."

Last edited by lemeray; 27-07-2008 at 02:33 PM.

02-09-2008
earthbound

Nina Ricci
39 avenue Montaigne

Full article (French): http://fr.fashionmag.com/news/news.php?id=43343

03-09-2008
taz
MUSE

wow so fresh & pure space .. love it thank you La bordélique

05-09-2008
V.I.P.

Comme des Garçons collaboration - The store's exterior on Kottodori

s:wallpaper

05-09-2008
V.I.P.

what's this collaboration about..? ^

06-09-2008
V.I.P.

Alot of the stores are wayyy too cold and clinical. They aren't inviting.

But satisfaction brought it back
07-09-2008
V.I.P.

^^^ agree! But I guess thats the whole idea. Its a world that only a select few can have the pleasure of indulging in.

I think the most inviting stores are Marc Jacobs ones. They don't have that cold feeling about them.

07-09-2008
V.I.P.

I love the Nina Ricci store

backstage pass

The pictures of the Viktor and Rolf boutique in Amsterdam that were posted in this thread way back in 2005 are my favourite; it would be absolutely surreal stepping into the shop. I guess for once I can touch a 'ceiling' with ease! :p Their ideas are so wonderful and quirky!

07-09-2008
tfs star

I really love Harvey Nichols window displays! I can't believe theres none posted here, I should be getting a new camera soon so I'll try and get some pics.

08-09-2008

Quote:
BLAAK's Sachiko Okada and Aaron Sharif has forged a distinctive contrast in their first boutique. Their forward thinking garments and careful consideration of detailing and backstory in their clothes now sits in the Old Curiosity Shop in Bloomsbury which was built in 1567 and immortalised in Charles Dickens' novel of the same name, in amongst salvaged ship timber beams. In the 90s' the interior was created by Fritz from the design duo Frick n' Frack who also designed the homes of Bjork and Boy George. As well as selling their own A/W 08-9 collection 'Buffalo Soldier', BLAAK have selected other products to sit alongside such as Oliver Goldsmith glasses exclusively made for BLAAK or Daiko Kimura's handcrafted shoes. In addition, BLAAK have also selected one of the 'Four Designers of the Future' seen at Miami's Art Basel event this year; Max Lamb to create custom-made furniture that fits both the context of the shop and BLAAK's aesthetic.

The store is now open but will undergo an inauguration during London Fashion Week on September 18th.

BLAAK at The Old Curiosty Shop, 13-14 Portsmouth Street, WC2

dazeddigital

front row

The Jil Sander store in SoHo is really impressive in person! I didn't know if I was allowed to take pictures or not, so I just snapped a pic and kind of walked away really quickly. Two, maybe three other dresses couldn't fit into the frame

my own pics

18-09-2008

viewonfashion

V.I.P.

^ that's the Lim store in LA, I assume ??

18-09-2008
V.I.P.

That place looks huge! Is real estate a lot cheaper in LA than NYC, or is Lim's label just that successful?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
design, displays, shop