How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-04-2008
windowshopping

over-hyped overrated and boring because every hypebeaster feels the need to perpetually claim that murakami is single handedly saving pop art.

next.

18-04-2008
front row

Hm, I disagree that he's boring because of the attention he gets - and I don't think anyone here who is truly interested in pop art would agree that Murakami is the only "saving" force.

I think some of his art is mildly entertaining, but I prefer many of the Kaikaikiki artists over him. And, as a fan of anime and manga, I can say that some of his artwork is a "superflat" interpretation of it.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
over-hyped overrated and boring
Aka what any person who wants to appear cool, superior, erudite, blase' and/or has no real grounds to critque art will say.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETROsexualJ View Post
Aka what any person who wants to appear cool, superior, erudite, blase' and/or has no real grounds to critque art will say.
well said.

18-04-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
i don't agree with what you said, especially since it's an opinion, but i am not uneducated about art. nice word choice, did you go to thesaurus.com for erudite and blasť? get off your high horse. congratulations, you live in new york, you are so hip-to-be. murakami is like candy for the hipster art set. there is nothing really "new" or "innovative" about what he's doing with the form (anime, manga, interpretations of otaku culture) and personally i find it boring and overrated because there's a complete disconnect between calling someone "the next andy warhol" and bringing a form of art thats been popular for over 30 years (despite only catching on in the US in the last 15 or so) to a larger stage. murakami is a good artist but in no way, shape, or form, will he ever amount to more than someone playing with a form. i see no innovation in what he's doing, and while its pretty to look at, the whole post-modern posturing and japanese pop-culture references will be lost upon those that will never bother to understand where he's coming from.

its just not my bag, baby.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
i don't agree with what you said, especially since it's an opinion, but i am not uneducated about art. nice word choice, did you go to thesaurus.com for erudite and blasť? get off your high horse. congratulations, you live in new york, you are so hip-to-be. murakami is like candy for the hipster art set. there is nothing really "new" or "innovative" about what he's doing with the form (anime, manga, interpretations of otaku culture) and personally i find it boring and overrated because there's a complete disconnect between calling someone "the next andy warhol" and bringing a form of art thats been popular for over 30 years (despite only catching on in the US in the last 15 or so) to a larger stage. murakami is a good artist but in no way, shape, or form, will he ever amount to more than someone playing with a form. i see no innovation in what he's doing, and while its pretty to look at, the whole post-modern posturing and japanese pop-culture references will be lost upon those that will never bother to understand where he's coming from.

its just not my bag, baby.
Stop reading art reviews and just enjoy art. People who think too much about art are completely missing the point.

windowshopping

Quote:
Stop reading art reviews and just enjoy art. People who think too much about art are completely missing the point.
i'm not reading reviews. i went to the exhibit, its my reaction that we're talking about here. after seeing it, i wasn't impressed - i.e. my opinion
i go to museums quite often

for a real impressive exhibit, go to the guggenheim and see Cai Guo-Qiang's installations.

Geometric Discharge

Quote:
I totally agree.

25-04-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Isn't the beauty of art that it can be read into and thought about?

Especially with Murakami, whose works' face value contrasts so much with his real meaning.

And I'm going to have to partially agree with Jeepster here, Murakami may be 'of the moment', but he's been doing a pretty tired shtick for a while now...

13-07-2008
V.I.P.

I love Murakami's work. And he is so funny and nice for such a big artist.

I saw one of his toys at the Gallery and it was $220! For a plush toy. I'm going to buy it one day. Its been there forever

13-07-2008
V.I.P.

I love this piece a lot. I saw it in a documentary about Murakami I think and the asking price was around $300, 000 !!! !

And its only acrylic on canvas!!

But its so cool !
"727" (1996)

english.kaikaikiki.co.jp

13-07-2008
V.I.P.

Murakami also does installation art (that isn't necessarily related to anime/manga) which a lot of people might not know about. Below is an example of his installations.

"Randoseru Project" (1991)

english.kaikaikiki.co.jp

Last edited by helmut.newton; 13-07-2008 at 08:22 PM.
13-07-2008
V.I.P.

"Polyrhythm" (1991)

english.kaikaikiki.co.jp

13-07-2008
V.I.P.

Some photos from his retrospective at The Geffen Contemporary:

cubeme.com

13-07-2008
V.I.P.

How cool are these wallets?! I want all of them! I would frame them and put it on my wall

cubeme.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
artist, murakami, takashi