How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-07-2008
V.I.P.

This piece is also amazing. It's huge, dimensions-wise, and its super expensive. But again, its beautiful.

kissfmseattle

13-07-2008
V.I.P.

Imagine these in your room

bombshellllifestyle.blogspot

13-07-2008
V.I.P.

These are his newest works. They were exhibited at the Blum & Poe gallery in Los Angeles.

They seem a lot darker than his previous work...

blumandpoe.com

13-07-2008
tfs star

I like the pieces in the second picture better. They're quite interesting.

14-07-2008
V.I.P.

A press release for that exhibition ^^^

Quote:
In a sensational display of new paintings, Takashi Murakami presents three distinct seriesóDaruma portraits, Korin landscapes, and abstractionsóeach signaling a playful turn toward the optical and gestural.

Each image is built up from an innumerable mosaic of digital fragments that result in a visual unity that complicates the boundary between visceral and virtual realms of perception. This technical strategy is part of the artistís larger interest in the power of fantasy and deception rooted in special effects technologies developed by Industrial Light and Magic in George Lucas films and in integrating this genre into his own practice.

Departing from the refined formalism of his previous work, the paintings combine a new lexicon of dramatic techniques ranging from sprayed ink blots, drips, Benday dots and thick calligraphic brush strokes with a brilliantly rich palette of pastels, deep hues and metallic leaf layers that entertain the eyeís movement along the surface.

The works also contain the artistís continued interest in the decorative aesthetics found in the 18th century Rimpa school and the dynamic affects of Zen ink paintings by Kyoto school Eccentric artists from the Edo period.

Enhancing the direct relationship between calligraphy and abstraction, the three Daruma portraits depict the great 6th century sage who introduced Zen Buddhism, and are identified both in image and signature (Daruma daishi=Daruma the Great) writ large. In Release Chakraís gate at this instant, the artist flattens Darumaís corpulent head and eyes as a glowing red light emanates from his urna and two disciples loom in the background. The works pay homage to the 18th century Eccentric painter, Soga Shohaku whose two aliases (Kishinsai, Dasokuken) are marked above the artistís name in the bottom right corner in each of the series. In contrast to the gestural dynamism of the Daruma portraits, the two Ogata Korin landscapes are appropriations of 18th century painterís commissioned fan paintings in serial versions of platinum and gold. Murakami overlays Korinís glistening ornate waves with his signature flowers adapted into voluminous chrysanthemums. Reflecting Murakamiís own interest in artistic identity and branding, these works are also signed with Korinís two aliases, the honorable Hōkyō and his product identity, Kansei printed inside a red seal.

The three abstract paintings signal perhaps Murakamiís most radical departure, signaling a revived interest in the design patterns of graffiti, Op art, and special effects, through carefully studied compositions and balance of forms. Davy Jonesí Tear is adapted from a heartfelt scene in the ďPirates of the Caribbean: Dead Manís ChestĒ where the villain reveals his inner torment while playing the organ. The perceived expressivity in these works is obfuscated by gourd-shaped inkblots, and vibrant streams dripping as if from freshly sprayed graffiti.

Remixing a line of artists ranging from Pollock, Lichtenstein, Kazuo Shiraga, Sigmar Polke to Terry Winters, this new group of works perform a powerful play between the spiritual and the synthetic.
source: Blum & Poe

16-07-2008
trendsetter

I like the orginal cartoon guy wallets that he did in the orginal collection with like Onion Head.

loaded and locked

when it comes to murakami's larger, more complicated paintings, I get a real Lisa Frank on acid vibe.

All he needs is a unicorn and its so there

18-07-2008
I loved you

^ truth! HAHA. I went to the exhibit in the Brooklyn museum. His scale of work is quite impressive and quite aesthetically pleasing. I'm still undecided whether I like him or not as an artist... sometimes I feel like he helps people exoticize Japan in a stereotypical way. maybe it's just me.

09-09-2010
V.I.P.

POP F/W 10.11

Britney Spears by Todd Cole & Takashi Murakami

thepop
fashiongonerogue
britney-spain

18-03-2011
trendsetter

anyone knows about his documental?

V.I.P.

Murakami for Louis Vuitton
Diffusion Superflat First Love

21-06-2011
trendsetter

thanks for share!
doodle today is made by Murakami!

V.I.P.

^yes, first day of winter in south hemisphere

google.com.ar (home page)

22-06-2011
fashion icon

huffingtonpost.com

And for the first day of summer in the northern hemisphere... this lovely doodle. I think Google keep's out doing themselves with their designs they are seriously creating beautiful works of art.

Eat me, drink me

ahahaha so cute!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
artist, murakami, takashi