How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-11-2007
front row

^^ that is the coolest thing i've seen in a long time!!! thanks so much for posting!

20-11-2007
fashion insider

as i'm studing fashion and textile design at IED Milano, that's a very interesting thread!! Thanks for posting

04-12-2007
V.I.P.

Great post, skot4mc :p
I have seen silicone prints before but I never knew they could be varied so much

04-12-2007
V.I.P.

from lboro.ac.uk

Pastry cutters and high-powered lasers help Shirley win national textiles award
Final year woven textiles student from Loughborough University School of Art and Design, Shirley Curtis, is celebrating the news that she is this year's overall winner of the British Interior Textiles Association's national competition. The prestigious national award was presented at a special dinner attended by the country's most influential names in the world of interior design. Fashion and interior designer, Jeff Banks, was on hand to congratulate Shirley on her striking monochrome sheer fabrics. The judges singled out Shirley's weaves from tough nation wide competition to award her £1,000 and a promising start to a new-found career.
Shirley took early retirement from her career as an art and technology teacher in a secondary school in Northamptonshire to embark on a part-time textiles degree course at Loughborough.
"I love the technical, mathematical aspects of weaving," said Shirley. "Yet in spite of rigorous plans, the best designs develop organically, and sometimes by accident!"

Shirley has recently bought a small table loom so that she can weave each day, without the lengthy commute from Northamptonshire. Her award-winning work, praised by Jain McCormack, Design Director of Sanderson Fabrics, as "very well executed and tasteful", was made on her loom, while the striking cut outs were achieved using an intriguing collection of tools, including a pastry cutter heated over a gas cooker! Heath Robinson-style improvisations are all very well on small fabric samples, but Shirley had to ditch the pastry cutter and opt for a more high-tech approach for her stunning degree show collection. She approached the Laser Centre at Loughborough College, who were happy to allow Shirley to use one of their high powered industrial lasers to put the finishing touches to her weave designs.

Only days after completing her degree, Shirley is busy preparing for a study visit to Antwerp, as part of a Royal Society of Arts Travel Bursary that she won last year. "I still feel I have so much more to learn about weaving, and I'm now contemplating a postgraduate course,' said Shirley. The British Interior Textiles Association award has already yielded some good contacts for future work for Shirley, and she is looking forward to using her £1,000 prize money to buy some new weaving equipment to replace her trusty pastry cutter!

Ends

For further information please contact
Anna Seddon, Publicity Office, Tel 01509 223445,
Email A.J.Seddon@lboro.ac.uk

30-12-2007
V.I.P.

Luxury Re-cycled
by Italian textile company, MANTERO
http://www.mantero.com

50% wool fibres, 50% recycled silk
creating a non-woven fabric

characteristics of felt,
with extras like softer hand and
ability to accept various treatments

more samples @ the website

01-01-2008
trendsetter

thanks for posting gius!

the recycled aspect is a postive in my book.

I'm interested to know what it feels like.

05-01-2008
V.I.P.

you're welcome, skot!

it's a neat idea
i wonder if there are other ways of recycling material to make fabric
i remember the stylist Panos Yiapanis cut up denim into strips and did a patchwork fabric out of it

05-01-2008
V.I.P.

Balenciaga S/S 2008 by Nicholas Ghesqiuère

style.com |

Cathy Horyn says:
Quote:
He is one of the few designers who can change our eye, and you’re not going to do that by shoveling stuff onto clothes. There are plenty of designers who do that just fine. Rather, you do it through fabrics, construction and the latest technology.The new collection used all of those elements. There were stiff couture fabrics like radzimir [and gazar], and new materials like foam and a crinkled fabric similar to matelassé made by a heat-shrinking process. The silhouette was a short two-piece outfit with peaked or rounded shoulders (some sleeves were pompoms of prints) with a mini that sometimes split open over matching shorts.
Some closeups of the crinkled fabric

thecelebritycity; NYTimes |

05-01-2008
V.I.P.

This is by the Cristobal Balenciaga himself
It looks like the crinkled fabric, no?
I wonder how it was originally made
Not that high technology back then

[Whitakerauction]

16-02-2008
V.I.P.

Saga Furs - Design Centre
http://www.sagafurs.com/index.php?id=8
SAGA DESIGN CENTRE

Quote:
House of Saga Furs

Situated in the idyllic Danish countryside at the heart of Northern Zealand, Saga Desgin Centre is Saga Furs administrative headquarters and the heart of creative innovation in fur.

Saga Design Centre’s team of designers and furriers have continually developed bold new uses for fur -- and have shared this knowledge with designers from around the world. As the designer’s choice, we invite creative minds to Saga Design Centre to make dreams of fur a reality.

At Saga Design Centre furriers and designers test the limits of creativity to extend the potential of fur.
Their website shows a lot of the techniques for fur they've developed too-- it's very interesting. You can also attend their workshops, accommodation provided (in the house up there^)

And here's a link to their CATWALK GALLERY
http://www.sagafurs.com/index.php?id=13
You can view the furs they've created for various labels and their own

Regards to j'adore_dior

28-03-2008
V.I.P.

rhode island school of design

Jeung-Hwa Park MFA '00

risd

02-04-2008

Marie-France de Crécy

rough google translation:
"Stylist, textile designer and consultant based in Paris.
Marie-France de Crécy, born in 1973 in Geneva, Switzerland.
Consider Duperré at the Applied Arts in Paris in textile design. Stylist in New York from 1998 to 2000. Designer independent in Paris since 2000, working primarily in the area of luxury textiles and agencies style and publicity as a consultant mode."
mariefrancedecrecy.com

V.I.P.

^ thanks for the post, marvystone ! would love it if she also described the techniques for each fabric.. that 2nd pic of the bird is an oddity & on her website she's worked for Christian Lacroix?

--

Here's some inspiration for textile designers..
for spring / summer 2009

trend forecasting courtesy of Premiere vision in Paris
-----------------------------------------------------

themes are (with sample fabrics)

- activating: breaking free from constraint , pro-action
explosion of colour/texture/decor
Quote:
leaving room between body and fabric for graceful movement

structured volume so body can move freely: quiltings, darting, stitching, pleating

fabrics ultra delicate and fine but dense + opaque (to go with idea of free constraint)

fabric surfaces ... a cheerful mess
scribbles , scratches , new colour combos

fabric finishes ... washed out, sun-light faded, chalky coatings (to mean "optimism")

- idealising: open-mindedness , accepting contradictions, new visions
keywords "artificial garden" and "fantasized nature"
ie. artificial w natural
Quote:
Signing on for a sustainable-development approach without giving in to moralising. Choosing bio-diversity and showcasing the ecological potential of synthetic fibres.
recyclable and recycled materials

- radicalising
same idea as activating... forward-thinking, taking hold of optimism
mix and match.. about focusing on the inside person and letting that show through to the outer + with no constraint , no self-consciousness

fabrics matt is key / minimised shine (to mean "no deception")
anti-stretch , blocked textures, thick silks , strong cellulose fabrics (ie. canvas)
Quote:
urban camouflage

Last edited by gius; 28-04-2008 at 05:26 PM.
28-04-2008
V.I.P.

couple more for 2 themes...
same source

idealising

--

and radicalising

06-05-2008

Gius I love the way these styles are described they sound very beautiful: "washed out, sun-light faded, chalky coatings"

I'm not sure if this belongs as its more about the design on the fabric.

Marimekko s/s 08 fabric patterns

Mustikkamaa
Quote:
Designed by Aino-Maija Metsola 2008 MARIMEKKO

Small berry like shapes in 4 shades of blue and 3 shades of purple interspered with bright green leaves on white. Cool crisp color combo looks great with white furniture or use to update a cottage look.

Juhannustaika
Quote:
Designed by Aino-Maija Metsola 2008 MARIMEKKO
Large stylized floral in rich saturated colors of blue, red, orange, yellow, green and purple on white. Great for curtains,wall hangings or bedding. Photo shows 1 repeat which is how this design is sold. Also available in oilcloth.

Lepo white/green/blue
Quote:
Designed by Fujiwo Ishimoto 1991 MARIMEKKO
Whispy lines appear to be drawn with crayon to create this soothing abstract. Great design for drapes, bedding or table linens. Grass green, spring green and light blue on pure white.

Puutarha Pink
Quote:
Designed by Kristina Isola Marimekko
An impressionist garden in greens from lime to teal, pinks and orange on a white background. Also available in oil cloth.

Nuppu
Quote:

Designed by Maija Louekari 2008 MARIMEKKO
Large abstract seed pods in black with circles of bright pink, yellow blue and gray in the background.

Kevatjuhla Green
Quote:
Designed by Marjaana Virtu MARIMEKKO
A herd of cattle outlined in black on a bright lime green background.

Tatar Green
Quote:
Design by Fujiwo Ishimoto 1994 MARIMEKKO
Very large leaves up to 20 inches long in 3 shades of green, teal, sage and olive on white semi sheer linen. This loose weave has all the slubs and nubs of natural linen. Suitable for draperies.

Yksinolla Black
Quote:
Designed by Marjaana Virtu MARIMEKKO 2008
Large abstract adds drama as a wall hanging or drapes.

Matkalla Maalle Blue
Quote:
Designed by Teresa Moorhouse MARIMEKKO
Bands of color ranging in size from 1/4 inch ti 8 inches in width. Some striated, others solid combine to fluid waves of color. Wonderful curtain fabric. Navy to pale blue and ochre

Pelimanni Black
Quote:

Designed by Iiro A Ahokas MARIMEKKO
Ribbons up to 1.5" wide meet in the center and twist and turn to create this graphic design. You get about 2 "bunches" in a yard. Black on white.
store.txtlart

The fabrics that have colours mentioned are avaliable in different colourways, there are a few more, so the selection here are just ones I randomly picked

Last edited by Marvystone; 06-05-2008 at 02:30 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
design, textile