How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-12-2008
V.I.P.

Those prices are not bad at all (thankfully)
At a fabric showroom here, some designers are $300+ a metre

I am hoping to get my hands on Nuno's wovens.. They're my favourite, so interesting, textural.. especially designs from their book called "Zawa Zawa" Seems like maybe one is available in the scarf collection on the site

06-12-2008
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
Those prices are not bad at all (thankfully)
At a fabric showroom here, some designers are $300+ a metre
Yes I know, the price range makes the temptation harder to resist. I make sure I have something to make in mind before visiting that store, otherwise I go crazy with new ideas. There are of course fabrics that cost more than 300 dollars, but there many are more affordable.

11-12-2008
V.I.P.

Here is another wonderful place to visit..
if you are in the New York City area

Habu Textiles
a showroom/gallery and weaving studio
They import unique yarns, mostly from Japan but also other parts of Asia

Quote:
We are located on 29th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues (We are not on street level, but on the 8th floor!) in a garment district - only 3 blocks from Madison Square Garden and 2 1/2 blocks from The Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City.

Nearest subway station is no. 1 (28th St. Station) or R (28th St. Station). You can also take any trains, which will come to the 34th Street Station (Pennsylvania Station). You are only a few blocks from us.
Attached is a fabric, 100% stainless steel + silk
If you were to scrunch the fabric, it would keep its shape because of the steel (much like some of Sophie Roet's fabrics earlier in this thread)

habutextiles.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iwamura1.jpg (43.1 KB, 175 views)

11-12-2008
V.I.P.

^ $1,100 a piece
approx. 2 yards by 40" wide

19-12-2008

I thought this was interesting..
Quote:
Suzanne Lee's BioCouture project explores the possibility of growing garments from bacterial cellulose. Lee, a Senior Research fellow at Central Saint Martins in London and the author of the book Fashioning the Future: tomorrow's wardrobe, has been experimenting with cellulose bacteria and yeast in a bid to bring forward sustainable techniques for manufacturing clothes. The material is cultivated in a sweet tea-solution, allowing the bacteria to produce a material half-way between papyrus and leather with a color that can be altered through the choice of tea. The end product looks like leather (here's a bad photo).

First garment prototype grown from bacterial-cellulose and machine-sewn - Shirt, June 2006

'Denim' jacket flooded with light

Close-ups of sleeve and zippers on showing decorative black patina

Layout of pattern pieces and stencils prior to printing

Quote:
Current Research
My book, Fashioning The Future: tomorrow's wardrobe, published by Thames & Hudson in September 2005, is a comprehensive exploration of future fashion and new technologies. My interests centre on the creative application of new technologies to design and innovative directions for fashion.My research practice for 2006 builds on experiments over the last year with materials scientist Dr. David Hepworth, to produce a range of Cellulose Couture - clothing grown from bacterial-cellulose.
In my capacity as Creative Director of Hamish Morrow, London I am also involved in bringing cutting edge fashion innovation to the market place. For Spring/Summer 2006 this involved working with NanoTex(r) to bring performance finishes to silk for a range of luxury sportswear.

we-make-money-not-art/csm
/biocouture

Last edited by Marvystone; 19-12-2008 at 05:59 PM.
04-02-2009
unspecified

i'm in love with everything on this thread.

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style
04-02-2009
tfs star

^me too. the pictures marvystone just posted are very inspiring!!

07-02-2009
V.I.P.

sounds beautiful ..thanks marv.. it gets very industrial / scientific in that section of the field. can only hope for hand-weavers ^^

07-02-2009
V.I.P.

Hermes

Carr 70 Ex Libris
- gold on silk

Hand cut velvet

hermes.com | joyce.fr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carre-70-Glam-Ex-libris-hermessoielame.jpg (70.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg sabrehermes.jpg (54.4 KB, 9 views)

08-02-2009
front row

+100 to this thread! I wish i could contribute but at least i can appreciate it.

fashion insider

Guis, I know about Habu textiles and I have yet to go there because I will probably have a nervous breakdown being broke and unable to to shop.

I'm interested in getting a loom. Are they expensive?

TWITTER:
09-02-2009
windowshopping

Fascinating Marvystone, though I have reservations about bacterial and yeasty growths.Wouldn't exposure to natural elements like light and air cause them to breakdown?

09-02-2009
V.I.P.

I'm wondering about how durable it is too^
Quote:
Originally Posted by educo View Post
Guis, I know about Habu textiles and I have yet to go there because I will probably have a nervous breakdown being broke and unable to to shop.

I'm interested in getting a loom. Are they expensive?
Very glad to hear that, educo!
The nice thing is, it seems you can get some interesting stuff that is not too expensive..according to the pricelist on the website. Can be good for a sample

Buying a new loom would be expensive ... I think the big floor looms go up past $1,000 and the smaller table ones are $600+.
I often find them on Craigslist, used, for $300-$600 or so for floor looms.. They are great if you have the space; and plus you can make really wide fabrics. I have one, but I have to give it away by April since I'm starting my mobile lifestyle again
You might like to research new designs... like there are floor looms which you can completely fold up and put in your suitcase! This is what I'm after It is a table loom on 'stilts' and retails $675... I've been making bodice patterns and notice the width of my body fits on a table loom (if there's a center seam). So I guess that's all I need.

10-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezenya View Post
Fascinating Marvystone, though I have reservations about bacterial and yeasty growths.Wouldn't exposure to natural elements like light and air cause them to breakdown?
Well I guess factors like you mentioned are fundamental to her research to see whether this is just a pipe dream or if it is actually feasible..There is probably more information on her website

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
I'm wondering about how durable it is too^Very glad to hear that, educo!
The nice thing is, it seems you can get some interesting stuff that is not too expensive..according to the pricelist on the website. Can be good for a sample

Buying a new loom would be expensive ... I think the big floor looms go up past $1,000 and the smaller table ones are $600+.
I often find them on Craigslist, used, for $300-$600 or so for floor looms.. They are great if you have the space; and plus you can make really wide fabrics. I have one, but I have to give it away by April since I'm starting my mobile lifestyle again
You might like to research new designs... like there are floor looms which you can completely fold up and put in your suitcase! This is what I'm after It is a table loom on 'stilts' and retails $675... I've been making bodice patterns and notice the width of my body fits on a table loom (if there's a center seam). So I guess that's all I need.

Wow, that's incredible! I guess i could check ebay too! I would definitely want a fold up loom. I'm so interested in adding an extra step to the design process by weaving some fabrics. i should check out habu textiles and give a report!

TWITTER:
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
design, textile