How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-08-2012
tfs star

All of Vogue Paris's fonts are custom made by M&M Paris. You may be able to find something similar to the other text but the red headline is 100% custom.

18-08-2012
fashion insider

^thanks, GivenchyHomme! do you know if VP is the only edition of VOGUE which uses custom fonts? or uses an outside design firm for this purpose?

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
yes, I thought it was hand-drawn but thought I would double check because there is something about the swoop of it I love. I think the more you are drawn to design, the more you are drawn to typography. It's something I don't really get, as in I can't talk about serifs and connections and things, but I feel like, with fashion, you can look at it and instantly get it. You can look at a font and say 'ah yes, that's so 1970s-I'm-horseback-riding-in-the-Hamptons' or 'that's so 1988-i'm-at-the-mall-going-to-see-my-first-pg13-film'. I guess in a roundabout way, I'm trying to say it's evocative
I know it's an old post but ... I can't sleep anyway.

Actually you sure can tell from which decade some font is if you know something about it, because every decade's graphic design and therefore typography has it's own rules and features.
I'm sure everyone who knows a little about graphic would recognize, let's say, a font designed during Bauhaus or De Stijl period, then Swiss design was very strong in the 50's
with their International typographic style and then 60s with Hoffman & Miedinger's Helvetica and all the golden ages of advertisement and so on and so forth. Not to mention
the electronic revolution which took design and even more - typography to a whole new level.
Sure we are looking back for inspiration and ideas because we have to, because 'rules' and good aesthetic were made then. So called 'retro graphic design' is now even more popular
than it was in the 80's and 90's, it became legendary, a good standard.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)
22-08-2012
fashion insider

For those who are curious: here are similar fonts as id-ed by Stephen Coles @ myfont.com. I'd highly recommend this site as it's super easy to use and the forum members very helpful and amazingly speedy!

VOGUE Paris May 2003 shot by Mario Testino:

source: fashionmodeldirectory.com (full cover)

Similar Fonts:
Hombre BT (Bitstream)

Besley Hand Bold (Juraj Chrastina)

Hand Stamped JNL-Regular (Jeff Levine)

all other sources: myfont.com

fashion insider

this thread is awesome!!!

11-10-2012
V.I.P.

Does anyone know the font that Vogue Turkey uses?

glossynewsstand.tumblr.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
typography