How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-07-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Annie Leibovitz: A Photographer's Life, 1990-2005 - The National Portrait Gallery London.

16 October 2008 - 1 February 2009

This exhibition presents over 150 photographs by the celebrated photographer, encompassing well-known work made on editorial assignment, as well as personal photographs of her family and close friends including the birth and childhood of her three daughters and the death of her father. Alongside these are many of Leibovitz's best known portraits of public figures - artists and actors such as Cindy Sherman, Richard Avedon and Brad Pitt.
http://www.npg.org.uk/live/woannieleibovitz.asp

26-07-2008
El Viaje Definitivo

valerie steele at FIT (and curator of its museum) came over here last month to research second and third generation japanese designers for the exhibition exploring present-day japanese fashion after miyake, yohji and rei which is scheduled for the autumn of 2010 at the museum.
it seems that she met tao during the stay.

Let the stars decide
26-07-2008
tailored

for those in san francisco...
this will be the only u.s. stop for the ysl retrospective...
deyoung museum, exhibition dates: November 1, 2008–March 1, 2009

Quote:
San Francisco, CA—Virtuoso. Visionary. Genius. These are just some of the words used to describe the late Yves Saint Laurent, master couturier and fashion pioneer. On November 1, 2008, the de Young opens the exclusive United States presentation of the special exhibition, Yves Saint Laurent, which celebrates the life of Yves Saint Laurent and showcases forty years of creativity by the Maison Haute Couture Yves Saint Laurent, whose unique style blends references to the world of art with allusions to pop culture and social revolutions. Structured around four themes, the exhibition develops the revolutionary nature of his body of work that presents a new definition of femininity and a signature that transcends fashion. The exhibition will include over 120 accessorized outfits belonging to the Foundation Pierre Bergé – Yves Saint Laurent as well as Saint Laurent’s drawings, photographs and videos. This exhibition marks the first major retrospective of Saint Laurent’s work in over 25 years.

Yves Saint Laurent was known for revolutionizing the haute couture tradition and laying the foundations of modern women’s wear. The wardrobe basics he designed — pantsuit, pea coat, safari jacket, culotte skirt and tuxedo — became true timeless classics in every woman’s wardrobe. His couture designs were equally groundbreaking reflecting wide-ranging sources of inspiration. In Saint Laurent’s vocabulary, music, art, performance, literature and international cultures were just as significant as the new shapes he introduced.

The Exhibition
The exhibition, Yves Saint Laurent, will be divided into four themes:
  • Masterful Pencil Strokes — follows his work from sketch to final garment. Within this grouping are garments that emphasize the body through slits or draping as well as a look at his masterful use of silhouette through magnified volumes in garments that defied gravity such as bubble skirts, trapeze dresses and voluminous cloaks.
  • The YSL Revolution — explores how Saint Laurent’s signature garments form the foundation of contemporary fashion design from which many of today’s designers take their cues. Groupings include YSL’s outfits inspired by men’s tailoring; the repurposing of functional wear such as safari jackets and pea coats into haute couture, and what became his signature: “le smoking,” a man’s tuxedo adapted for a woman first presented in 1966. Also featured are pieces from his famous 1971 collection in which he reintroduced hyper-sophistication while the rest of the world was focused on the hippie and feminist movements.
  • The Palette — known for his palette of candy-colored hues, this section demonstrates how YSL dared to use color in a way that broke the rules of traditional fashion design. Groupings here illustrate his fascination with exotic cultures such as Morocco, Russia, Spain and China as well as his use of clashing color palettes, textures, geometry, embroidery and prints.
  • Lyrical Sources — features the most spectacular examples of the art of the haute couture and its many inspirations. Groupings here cite YSL’s references to history; the art world including Mondrian, Fauvism, Pop Art, and artists Picasso and Braque, literary sources such as Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde and Jean Cocteau and finally YSL’s fascination with flora and fauna through his use of prints, animal motifs, feathers, pelts, flowers and sumptuous embroidery.
Organization
The exhibition is organized by the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco and the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, in collaboration with the Pierre Bergé – Yves Saint Laurent Foundation. The exhibition is curated by Florence Müller, fashion historian and professor at the Institut Francais de la Mode a Paris, Dianne Charbonneau, curator of contemporary decorative arts at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and Jill D’Alessandro, associate curator of textiles at the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco.

Catalogue
The exhibition is accompanied by a catalogue, Yves Saint Laurent: Style published in both English (Abrams, September, 2008) and French (La Martinière, 2008). The catalogue is written by Florence Müller with an introduction by Pierre Bergé and an essay by Hamish Bowles, European editor-at-large of VOGUE and is available in soft cover ($50.00)

Symposium — Yves Saint Laurent, Eternal Style
A symposium exploring the work of Yves Saint Laurent and his many influences entitled Yves Saint Laurent, Eternal Style, will be held at the de Young on Saturday, November 1, 2008 from 1–4 pm in the Koret Auditorium. Speakers will include guest curator and fashion historian, Florence Müller, VOGUE European editor-at-large Hamish Bowles, Farid Chenoune, French fashion historian and author of Yves Saint Laurent: Smoking Forever, and Nancy Troy, professor of Art History at the University of Southern California and author of Couture Culture: A Study in Modern Art and Fashion. Tickets are $30 for the general public (Museum Members, students and members of the Costume Society of America and the Textile Arts Council $20). Runway videos of past YSL collections will be played during intermissions.

Last edited by kimair; 26-07-2008 at 02:11 PM.
24-08-2008
far from home...

Quote:
rencontres d'arles 2008

through september 14, 2008
arles, france

the 39th edition of rencontres d'arles is being curated by christian lacroix. the photography festival is held all over the city, from old churches to ruins, factories and hotel lobbies. the event features hundreds of photographers from all over the world. the 2008 rencontres d’arles discovery award 2008 was given to south african photgrapher pieter hugo for two collections, ‘the hyena and other men’ and ‘wild honey collectors’. as the winner of the prize hugo will also receive 25,000 euros. hugo is among 14 other photographers nominated for the award which recognizes outstanding undiscovered work.

http://www.rencontres-arles.com
designboom

karen elson, "english sunbathing" northumberland, england, 2001 italian vogue 2001
© 2008 tim walker

fashion designer: givenchy © grégoire korganow

08-09-2008
V.I.P.

this might be very interesting.

oak bond age: presentation
September 8, 2008
To celebrate Fashion Week, Oak has invited some of its favorite designers to explore their inner kinks and create
limited-edition pieces evoking the idea of bondage for their limited line and associated presentation.

The presentation will be held at:
The Gene Frankel Theater
24 Bond St.
12 p.m.-4 p.m.
Monday September 8th
The after party will be thrown at:
The Eagle
554 W. 28th St. at 11th Ave.
10 p.m.-12 p.m. cocktails by Belvedere
Music by DFA’s Justin Miller & Runaway (Marcos Cabral and Jacques Renault)
party all night long!
RSVP: deeper@oaknyc.com

http://www.oaknyc.com/blogpostsall/#blogpost_92

09-09-2008
V.I.P.

Versailles goes kitsch as Jeff Koons' giant Lobster moves into the palace
Jeff Koons at the château de versailles, 10 September - 7 December 2008.

jeffkoonsversailles.com

09-10-2008
girl who fell to earth

Tara Donovan (who won a MacArthur genius award [or whatever it's called] this year) has an exhibition that opens tomorrow at Boston's ICA...

I actually got a sneak peak at it tonight and it's pretty incredible..
photos really don't do her work justice..
so if you can get over to the ICA and take a look....
or if her work is being exhibited anywhere near you I encourage you to go and see it..

she really knows how to make the ordinary extraordinary..

Ace Gallery actually has the best pics of her work from what I can see...
http://www.acegallery.net/artistmenu.php?Artist=8

walking underneath her "cloud" of styrofoam cups is pretty incredible

01-11-2008
El Viaje Definitivo

" Color Hunting in Brazil

Dai Fujiwara + ISSEY MIYAKE Creative Room & Campana Brothers

October 22, 2008 - January 12, 2009
Museum of Contemporary Art Tokyo

Synopsis
In commemoration of 100 years of Japanese immigration to Brazil as well as “Ano do Intercambio Japao-Brasil,” two exhibitions titled “Neo Tropicalia: Imagination of Brazil" and "Color Hunting in Brazil” will be held concurrently at the Museum of Contemporary Art Tokyo. In the latter exhibition, visitors will enjoy artistic works by Japanese creators inspired by natural colors found in Brazil, and the world of colors created by Brazilian artists.

Outline
COLOR HUNTING - A design approach to bring together the colors of both nature and the city to create textiles and patterns. In this project, Dai Fujiwara + ISSEY MIYAKE Creative Room adopted a creative method by which they find original colors in the wildlife of the Amazon, and extract colors by rotating photos of cities in order to create textile patterns. This exhibition is a display of the works as seen through the eyes of its Japanese creators including an art space installation with textiles, photos and footage of the production process in the Amazon and Rio de Janeiro, and clothing designed utilizing this method.Working together with people who live in the favela (slums), the Campana brothers, residents of Sao Paulo, collect colored materials such as vinyl tubes and wires from their urban surroundings to make furniture. This furniture is also displayed in the exhibition. In the workshop and through the guidance of the Campana brothers, participants will produce panels which reflect the Campana brothers’ interpretation of the world interwoven with the Color Hunting works of Mr. Fujiwara.

Campana brothers
The brothers, Humberto and Fernando Campana have their studio in Sao Paulo. The high quality of their art design often attracts attention from art circles, and their works have been exhibited in various art museums throughout the world including an exhibition with Ingo Maurer at the Museum of Modern Art, New York (1998). The Brothers have been invited to numerous international workshops hosted by Vitra Design Museum, Centre Pompidou (2002), etc. Their first private exhibition in Japan was held at the Brazilian Embassy in Tokyo (2005).

Dai Fujiwara
Having graduated from Tama Art University, Dyeing and Weaving Design Course, Mr. Fujiwara joined the Miyake Design Studio.After having worked on the design staff for ISSEY MIYAKE collections, he started the “A-POC” project with Issey Miyake in 1998. For “A-POC” he was awarded the Good Design Award in 2000, and for “Design of A-POC” the Mainichi Design Award in 2003. Mr. Fujiwara was appointed as ISSEY MIYAKE Creative Director in October 2006. In collaboration with DYSON, a British vacuum cleaner company, he introduced an unprecedented garment-making process for the 2008 Spring-Summer Collection.

Workshop / Talk Show by Dai Fujiwara

Dai Fujiwara will give a talk and workshop in which participants will experience the concept of Color Hunting. In the workshop, participants will be asked to imagine and draw on paper the pattern of colors produced when photos, taken during field work in Brazil, are rotated. A selection of photos will then be rotated using a machine so as to compare the patterns created with those drawn by the participants.

Date: Saturday, November 29, 2008 "

bh-project.jp
bluediary2.jugem.jp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img1_j[1].jpg (19.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20081030_582873.jpg (16.7 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 20081030_582874.jpg (16.7 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 20081030_582876.jpg (16.6 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 20081030_582877.jpg (16.7 KB, 113 views)

Let the stars decide
03-12-2008
flaunt the imperfection

i would like to see that show...in tokyo...
if you get a chance to go i hope you will let us know how it is runner...

* i went to the chanel mobile art exhibit here in Central Park ...
it was so good i couldn't even believe it...
so much really good art in all different forms, video, painting, mosaic, photography, etc...

and presented in such a unique way that tied all the different formats together so the exhibit seemed unified even though every single pieces was SO completely different...

i think it's headed to london next...
i highly recommend it for anyone who likes art...
really...it has very little to do with chanel...
it's all about the art...
which i didn't expect and was very pleasantly surprised by...
it's fantastic that chanel is funding such a great art show...

**prada eat your heart out.....

Last edited by softgrey; 03-12-2008 at 03:28 PM.
09-12-2008
girl who fell to earth

thanks for the little review softie!

i'm so sad that i missed it in NY

i was there the weekend that they were setting up the structure in central park but couldn't make it back in time to see the actual exhibit...
so bummed because i was really looking forward to it and i think that was my only chance at seeing it.. unless there is some unexpected overseas travel in my future :p

06-01-2009
backstage pass

Exhibits are ok, but can be a drag. Especially in NY. You can never find your way around, especially to exhibits. But you should be planning a lot earlier. Do not worry about current ones going on at the moment. Take your time and plan real carefully, or else you will find yourself stuck in a giant mess when it comes to travelling. So do not worry ChrissyM, you might be able to, but just plan first.

10-02-2009
windowshopping

International Fashion/Art/Music Competition
International arts non-profit Art For Progress (www.artforprogress.org) is currently hosting its 3rd annual "Clash of the Artists". It is an on-line competition where the public can go to the site and see the work of emerging designers, artists, film makers, musicians and DJ's from across the globe, then vote for their favorites! The top 3 in each category will all compete at a special live event in New York City at 320 Studios on March 14th.

On-line voting ends February 28th. Get on-line today and make your vote count!!! (www.artforprogress.org)

22-03-2009
V.I.P.

Franck Sorbier's celebrating 20 years of fashion (10 yrs in haute couture)
at the textile museum in Lyon

exhibition lasting till end of September

full article in D&C
some inventive descriptions of methods he's used
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...yon-78117.html

26-03-2009
rising star

if someone could tell me whats going on in stockholm between 7th nd 15th of april i'll be glad to know
thanks

14-05-2009

Quote:
An ancient legend mentioned by Pliny the Elder (d. 79 AD) places the origin of painting in Corinth, where a young girl, the daughter of the potter Butades of Sicyon, is said to have drawn the outline of her beloved’s shadow on a wall by the light of a candle.
‘The shadow’ as a theme has always been inextricably linked to the history of Western art. Although used basically for naturalistic purposes to enhance the credibility of the subject depicted, each period has assigned it its own connotations. The main aim of this exhibition is to draw the visitor’s attention to the host of implications, problems and solutions inherent in the representation of the shadow in art from the Renaissance to the present day. Other objectives are to highlight the existence of paths that branch off in different directions and to reveal the sometimes unnoticed links between periods and artists, despite distances in time.
This sounds like the best idea I've heard for an exhibition in awhile, wish I could go..

Tags
exhibits, shows, upcoming