How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Art & Design
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-04-2010
El Viaje Definitivo

rubber knit
from ccp S/S 04

catwalking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg POEL_MW_SS04_031.jpg (23.4 KB, 7 views)

Let the stars decide

Last edited by runner; 11-04-2010 at 10:13 PM.

31-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection..

i honestly feel so silly because i missed so many of these posts...
or maybe i saw some but only read the words quickly and focused more on the images...
trying to understand what they are without the explanation...
sometimes it's fun to let your imagination wander and try to understand things---
like solving a puzzle...
:p...

but i just finally understand about the kamiko fabric...
it's basically fabric made of paper?...so basically---it's some wood pulp originally?
i don't know...japanese paper can be made from so many different things...

i found this about washi
wikipedia.com
Quote:
Washi (和紙?) is a type of paper made in Japan. Washi is commonly made using fibers from the bark of the gampi tree, the mitsumata shrub (Edgeworthia papyrifera), or the paper mulberry, but also can be made using bamboo, hemp, rice, and wheat. Washi comes from wa meaning Japanese and shi meaning paper, and the term is used to describe paper made by hand in the traditional manner.
Washi is generally tougher than ordinary paper made from wood pulp, and is used in many traditional arts. Origami, Shodo, and Ukiyo-e were all produced using washi. Washi was also used to make various everyday goods like clothes, household goods, and toys as well as vestments and ritual objects for Shinto priests and statues of Buddha. It was even used to make wreaths that were given to winners in the 1998 Winter Paralympics. Several kinds of washi, referred to collectively as Japanese tissue, are used in the conservation and mending of books. Washi was developed from the traditional Chinese paper-making process.
i had thought the LUC skirt was some sort of plastic fiber?...
and that is what the cracking came from...
i am learning something new everyday!...
:p

it's also very interesting about the silk...
Quote:
some of the man-made silk have been made of a thread which is triangular in section to get a silky sheen.

but it seems that the updated version is not triangular any more.
if anything, just a shape more closer to a circle,
instead, it's an extremely fine thread,
the one that came out this fall is 1/7500 of a hair, for example.
because some designers are demanding more fabulous drape and airier feel than they can expect from real silk
they need an otherworldly performance rather than low maintenance and a silky look.
hagoromo has to be something ethereal.
how true...love it!...

i think i need to wear my LUC skirt a bit more often this season so that i can see how it performs...
i am always very precious with it, not wanting to have it look too worn...
but i think that perhaps this is the point...and i have been going about this all wrong!...

Last edited by softgrey; 31-08-2011 at 07:01 PM.
31-08-2011

oh my gosh...
and i didn't even address the post about Kosuke Tsumura...

i love when fashion designers take it a step farther and actually do art...
the first picture is my fave---is it supposed to be a blanket?
i see a person lying beneath it...

as i looked at it i came to realize that all the different thicknesses of the wires were like the different thicknesses of a yarn/thread...and the devices and outlets they were attached to simply were woven into the whole piece...along with real bits of yarn and such...
but in a really lovely and harmonious way...(rodarte - eat your heart out!!!......)
it wasn't until i understood all of this that i realized there was actually a person underneath it all...
and then i thought---
oh...it's a blanket of technology and wires, almost completely obscuring the person beneath it...
pretty cool...!
:p

and the old book is just lovely as well...
like cobwebs...
quite a lovely statement about how little people read books anymore...

thanks so much runner...
these are all great ideas!...
very kind of you to share them here with us...

Last edited by softgrey; 31-08-2011 at 07:09 PM.
16-09-2011

Fiber Futures: Japan's Textile Pioneers

Friday, September 16 — Sunday, December 18

Fiber Futures: Japan's Textile Pioneers showcases the dynamic field of Japanese fiber art. Organized as a juried show jointly presented by Japan Society and International Textile Network Japan in collaboration with Tama University Art Museum, the works on display range from ethereal silk and hemp to paper pulp and synthetic fiber using methods that are sometimes deeply traditional, but sometimes employ the latest weaving and dyeing technology along with an environmentally conscious "green" ethos. Moving far beyond traditional utility, Japan's textile pioneers fuse past and present to create innovative, beautiful and sometimes challenging works of art.

Reiko Sudō (1953- ), Fabrication, 2011. Fabricated by Kazuhiro Ueno. White cotton. 130 × 59 in. (330 × 150 cm). Courtesy of the artist.

Last edited by softgrey; 16-09-2011 at 02:36 PM.
16-09-2011

Machiko Agano (1953- ). Untitled, 2011. Five pieces, inkjet-printed mirror sheet. Each 98 1/2 × 39 3/8 × 39 3/8 in. (250 × 100 × 100 cm). Courtesy of the artist.

Jun’ichi Arai (1932 -). Flame-resistant shop curtain, 2005. Polyphenylene sulfide (PPS) film, vacuum-deposited aluminum. 142 × 142 in. (360 × 360 cm). Photo: Mareo Suemasa

Akio Hamatani (1947- ). W-Orbit, 2010. Rayon, indigo; special technique. Diameter approximately 157 in. (400 cm). Courtesy of the artist.

16-09-2011

Kyōko Ibe (1941- ). Airy Sonnet of Blue, 1989. Kōzo mulberry fiber. 197 × 236 × 276 in. (500 × 600 × 700 cm). Museu de Arte Moderna, São Paulo. Photo: Ei Oiwa.

Yasuko Iyanaga (1948- ). Umi kara no okurimono: Air, X [A Gift from the Sea: Air, X], 2010. Spun silk and wire; tie-dyeing. 51 1/8 × 51 1/8 × 19 5/8 in. (130 × 130 × 50 cm). Courtesy of the artist.

Shigeo Kubota (1947- ). Shape of Red I, 2009. Nylon, sisal hemp; plain weave, sewing. 91 × 72 × 71 in. (230 × 180 × 180 cm). Courtesy of the artist.

16-09-2011

Kyōko Kumai (1943- ). Toki [Time], 2011. Stainless-steel filament. 39 × 157 × 39 in. (100 × 400 × 100 cm). Photo: Mareo Suemasa.

Hitomi Nagai (1954- ). Birth, 2011. Cotton; waffle weave. 79 × 43 × 11 in. (200 × 110 × 28 cm). Photo: Mareo Suemasa.

Yuh Okano (1965- ). Flower: Coming Events Cast Their Shadow Before, 2010. Silk, partially felted with raw wool; hand-formed corsages. 71 × 20 in. (180 × 50 cm). Courtesy of the artist.

16-09-2011

Fuminori Ono (1971- ). Feel the Wind, 2010. Chemical pulp, chemical dyes, polyurethane finish; original technique. 98 × 138 in. (250 × 350 cm). Photo: Mareo Suemasa.

Naoko Serino (1962- ). Generating—8, 2006. Jute; free technique. 51 × 79 × 157 in. (130 × 200 × 400 cm). Courtesy of the artist.

Hiroko Watanabe. Aka no kodō (Red Pulse), 1999. Cotton and metal fiber; hand weaving. 51 × 39 × 10 in. (129 × 98 × 25 cm). Photo: Mareo Suemasa.

all images courtesy japansociety.org

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
thread, yarns