How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-07-2009
trendsetter

i should take pix of BA's streets and so you can see how people REALLY dress.... lol.

05-07-2009
V.I.P.

^ we´re rocking the surgery mask trend atm lol

05-07-2009
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb_32 View Post
i should take pix of BA's streets and so you can see how people REALLY dress.... lol.
lol.. It would be sad!
Of course there are exceptions.. but just a few

05-07-2009
V.I.P.

IMO the real problem with argentine style is the prices.
In other countries you have nice and cheap stores like Gap or H&M where you can buy basic stuff, splurge on designer stuff (it´s not even that expensive) and then mix and match. But in BA, everything is expensive! Cheap stores like C&A are not even worth the time and money, their quality is awful. Local brand´s prices are ridiculous and the quality of some of them is not even great. The same goes with local designers, they charge the same and sometimes more than big international labels.
Then we have to consider salaries, basic salaries in -say- Germany are around 2000 euros so people can afford to buy a 300 euros pair of shoes every once in a while. But in Argentina a decent salary is what? 2500 pesos? 675 dollars? who can afford an international label shoe or bag? considering that the prices in dollars here are almost double than in the US or Europe (and we only have a few internationals labels to begin with...). How could it be than local designer´s clothes are almost the same as an international label?
People dress the best they can with the money they have, we can´t expect parisian style in BA.
My solution? buy a fabric and go to a seamstress. You´ll have unique clothes at affordable prices.

08-07-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobombon View Post
IMO the real problem with argentine style is the prices.
In other countries you have nice and cheap stores like Gap or H&M where you can buy basic stuff, splurge on designer stuff (it´s not even that expensive) and then mix and match. But in BA, everything is expensive! Cheap stores like C&A are not even worth the time and money, their quality is awful. Local brand´s prices are ridiculous and the quality of some of them is not even great. The same goes with local designers, they charge the same and sometimes more than big international labels.
Then we have to consider salaries, basic salaries in -say- Germany are around 2000 euros so people can afford to buy a 300 euros pair of shoes every once in a while. But in Argentina a decent salary is what? 2500 pesos? 675 dollars? who can afford an international label shoe or bag? considering that the prices in dollars here are almost double than in the US or Europe (and we only have a few internationals labels to begin with...). How could it be than local designer´s clothes are almost the same as an international label?
People dress the best they can with the money they have, we can´t expect parisian style in BA.
My solution? buy a fabric and go to a seamstress. You´ll have unique clothes at affordable prices.
Disagree, I'm not from Ar but lived enough in BA to analize
it has nothing to do with money people here always buy clothes, stores are full (compared to some other stores in other countries) , about the local designers charging more than international ones, doubt it
People do not dress the best they can they just follow the massive trend
Black boots, brown boots, black boots, brown boots, black tights, loose clothes, scarfs after scarfs after scarfs and the hair, in 1000 girls that could be in a room the style is just the same the only thing that changes is color
like I said before, Argentina has alot of style but it's just not enough, I have seen better dressed people in Uruguay...and yes it's too casual in here
well I saw a very trendy girl with an striped "barbijo"

V.I.P.

^Well, black basic boots are around 200 pesos. I saw a pair of cowboy booties, zebra stripped with lace, very unique looking and not trendy: they were 800 pesos... this is what I was talking about, the quirky stuff is just too expensive. For some people is cheaper to follow the trends.
About designer´s prices: I saw a basic black dress by Mariano Toledo that was 1000 dollars, maybe it´s not more expensive than Chanel but certainly is a lot more expensive that a lot of international designers.
About the hair, the only hairstyle that I see everywhere is the teenagers´ but I see grown women with different styles.
Then again, some people don´t have a style that it´s their own but this happens everywhere...

08-07-2009
backstage pass

like i said, bring on American Apparel, H&M and Topshop in Buenos Aires!

it's all about democracy in fashion

plus i am sure there is a handful of Argentinian hipsters who are dying for an AA to open in BsAs

08-07-2009
V.I.P.

All talk and no action.. we need pictures for this page

two of my favorite looks spotted at onthecorner.
I think they're both very individual and globally remarkable.. such different takes in fashion but still equally devoted.

OTC_Belén .jpg OTC_Blancanieves.jpg

I also think they're quite outstanding for bas standards as they're both very girlie but downplaying femininity in appearance..
my only complaint: the fringe clutch and bi-colored hair! it couldn't been perfect with less emphasis on her hair and a simple black purse. but oh well.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boluda View Post
like i said, bring on American Apparel, H&M and Topshop in Buenos Aires!

it's all about democracy in fashion

plus i am sure there is a handful of Argentinian hipsters who are dying for an AA to open in BsAs
i agree! a topshop here will make a big improvement on the argentine's style

V.I.P.

Well, I love the style from the people of Argentina, I don't think you really "need" those stores
Oh, and another thing, I was just wondering if anyone knows this girl...
I know that it's kind of crazy if someone does, but I was thinking that maybe she could be a kind of Argentinian"it girl" or I don't know...
Well here's the link http://www.fotolog.com/taluchhhi/40729216
I loved the black converse with black shoelaces, definitively I'm going to buy ones NOW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1218651934825_f.jpg (21.4 KB, 11 views)

13-07-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani View Post
Well, I love the style from the people of Argentina, I don't think you really "need" those stores
Oh, and another thing, I was just wondering if anyone knows this girl...
I know that it's kind of crazy if someone does, but I was thinking that maybe she could be a kind of Argentinian"it girl" or I don't know...
Well here's the link http://www.fotolog.com/taluchhhi/40729216
I loved the black converse with black shoelaces, definitively I'm going to buy ones NOW
Not an it girl

rising star

^^ yeah, definitely not an it girl =)

unspecified

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinRocks View Post
that is very french.
no matter what you wear, who you are, no matter who's looking at you. french people stare !
if you wear something different than a pair of jeans, people in argentina stare, shout, whistle, make noises and questions (as in "what are you wearing?" or even worse "are you that cold"), etc. and these reactions are not only to really wild dressing like ana piaggi, but a simple red lipstick will drive people crazy, you cannot wear a superman t-shirt without having people shouting superman as you walk by...
i think this is the reason why there is a basic style going on forever and will never stop, sadly. you have to have a lot of guts and good mood to go out dressing what you want if it differs from the basics

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style
19-07-2009
V.I.P.

^I like to think that people stare at me because they like what I´m wearing
perhaps I´m fooling myself :p

19-07-2009
unspecified

sometimes i think that too, and it's the only time i don't get that mad.. if they look at my shoes i usualy say to them "yes, they are beautiful"

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
argentina, street, style