How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-05-2007
front row

i'm a korean, so i always hear the word fob being thrown around by asian americans.
what i don't understand is why so many asian americans call 'asian style', 'fob style', when those 'fobs' they talk of haven't even got off the boat to arrive in america!

31-05-2007
backstage pass

she looks smart!~!

10-06-2007
windowshopping

what is the general fashion style in beijing today? what is the shopping like? i am gona b living in beijing next year and want to know more infor on the fashion in beijing but i cant seem to find much info on it!

24-06-2007
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_dilandau View Post
Wow, it's really hard to describe.It's a word Asian people (ususally who grew up in western countries) use to describe (most of the time with some negative connotations) things which are are look really Asian. It actually stands for "Fresh off the Boat" Most Chinese, Hong Kong, Taiwan mainstream style can be considered fob. Japanese and Korean mainstream style can also be considered fob but possibly this word was originated to predominantly describe the HK look.

Sorry if that wasn't a very good description LoL

Maybe photos help:

From sweetcandylove's post. This is very fob. The hair, the makeup, the clothes... everything.

From Marvystone's post. This is fob. The hair and the clothes.

From Baizilla's post. This is not fob.

But of course you can argue differences in age and the fact that she's the Editor of Vogue China so she can't possibly dress like a fob. But I'm generally just trying to paint a picture of what "fob" style is.

***please do not quote pictures

yea i know what you mean by "fob" now, but I (and my friends) dont use fob to describe this kind of style. we use "mk" instead. and I am hongkonger

Last edited by saann; 26-06-2007 at 11:44 AM.
04-07-2007
rising star

what does "mk" stands for?

06-07-2007
windowshopping

i love hk styling. the girls dont tend to dress so girly and they add a boyish playful kick to their outfits.

if you're interested in more singaporean street style, here's an interesting link
http://indiesin.livejournal.com/

they have interesting pictures and more or less sell what's really hip and "in" in Sg right now, so it tells you alot about what sgporean girls are wearing currently or are into right now. love their pictures!

Last edited by indulqe; 06-07-2007 at 07:43 AM.
06-07-2007
windowshopping

btw i'm not sure if this constitutes as spam, since they do sell clothes. i just wanted to share some local sg style. if it is considered as spam, please let me know and i will amend it. new here, sorry i sound so.. new. haha.

06-07-2007
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcandylove View Post
what does "mk" stands for?

hi there, "mk" is a short form of "mong kok" and mong kok is a place of hong kong...actually no one will willing to be called mk style since mk style is generalized as .....i dont know how to descirbe , fashion victim with rube manner maybe?

11-07-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_dilandau View Post
I think you're thinking of "fob" style. Not all asians dress like that.
LMAO fobs... Awful style. Obvious labels and way too much makeup. If it has "DNKY" in huge letters on it, they'll buy it. And then there are my 2nd generation sisters rocking the blue eyeshadow

backstage pass

haha, the word 'fobs' is used a lot in my school..didn't know it was used for fashion though.

backstage pass

Right now the Korean style is like... extremely high heels with flowy dresses or empire-waist/tunic kind of tops. I don't often see women NOT wearing high heels. As for the younger generation, they all sort of look the same...same haircut, 'geek'-glasses, polo shirts with grey skinnies paired with Converse high-tops. This goes for the girls AND the guys. The guys all tend towards a...'fashionable' look, and I am frustrated by it. It's like edging toward femininity. I am more used to walking around with a boyfriend who doesn't spend as much time in front of the mirror as I do. Neither am I used to a boyfriend who carries around a 'purse' more expensive than mine, or jeans more tighter than mine. It sort of makes me self-consious.

trendsetter

Purse? Man-purse or messenger bag? Do elaborate. Never is a man-purse acceptable!

05-08-2007
trendsetter

05-08-2007
trendsetter

05-08-2007
trendsetter

irisjk

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
asia, street, style