How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

12-06-2006
backstage pass

I feel its because of Australia's relative location with the world, as well as the culture not being really receptive to Europe/Japan/USA fashion. Most of the good stuff are unwilling to be made available here, higher cost, very very niche market, especially in Mens wear, I mean seriously not to bad-mouth Aussie men, but alot of them still wash their face with soap...they wear sweats and trackpants to uni...its really laid back, it is more of a comfy thing, even the fashion magazines for menswear caters to such a crowd where they are basically running graphic tees, jeans, blazers, thongs and really that look is dead...really what can there be expected of male fashion...hence I attribute it to cultural fashion. Because of that male international fashion here is unrealistically expensive, not only is it expensive, it is LATE...very late, as it caters to a very small crowd, the majority are unwilling to spend, even international designer discount shops stock the more graphic stuff, not to say its a bad thing, but creativity is just not a cutural trait when it comes to fashion.

Most of the local designers thats highly rated like Josh Goot are basically very remisnicient of old style Chalayan and Helmut Lang, it is more of a street style here, and it can be seen in the style of jeans, think Tsubi, the old Vicious Threads, Bettina Liano etc. Alot of the womenswear designers are copys, and I really think they are capable of much more, but really because of the market, I do not think that many will survive, its more for catering to what the market needs and wants.

I do not think its a patriotic thing, it is simply a cultural response, graphic tees and skinny jeans ARE what Australians call fashion, not necessarily a patriotic obsession with the labels, it is simply the mindset, and until it changes and I doubt it ever will, creative fashion will not be the mainstream.

As to shoes, it is horrible, for all the leather and fur available here, the standard of male shoes is absymal. The high end-retailers do import them, but once again, few models, generally stick to the conservative and very niche, hence very expensive. I do ALL my shopping online and alter it to fit me. Im not saying that Australia has no prospect with fashion and creativity, I just feel that they are capable of alot more than what they are showing, especially in menswear and mens accessories.

12-06-2006
backstage pass

^ Yes, interesting thoughts. Perhaps you are right...not so much about patriotism, but more about living in a bit of a cultural bubble due to isolation and seasonal differences. You know what, I actually could not name a single decent local shoe designer, men's or women's!!

12-06-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastes_like_chic

I got a great bargain on Ebay, $20 (aus) for a pair of suede and leather Christian Dior slouch boots (with a tiny heel). I stupidly gave them away as you can't wear boots like that very often in the heat *bangs head* so now I keep all my shoes - crappy or not :p
Must keep Christian Dior boots next time. I know Cairns is warm but I hear Brissie is cold at the moment!!

12-06-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriseel
^ Yes, interesting thoughts. Perhaps you are right...not so much about patriotism, but more about living in a bit of a cultural bubble due to isolation and seasonal differences. You know what, I actually could not name a single decent local shoe designer, men's or women's!!
U know something? neither can i!!! hahahaha

12-06-2006
i'm almost ready..

kiss&tell there are some LOVELY suede boots @ ninewest.... not sure about the price, they are more than 150 i think (you could always wait til they go on sale....) but they are gorgeous..... are you in sydney? bondi junction (westfield) and oxford st paddington both have them in stock right now....

good luck

12-06-2006
backstage pass

I personally think Aussie fashion has a lot going for it. I'm in Melbourne, having just immigrated from London and am loving all the creativity and vibes going on here.
I work for one of Australia's biggest retailers (NOT Supre! ) and myself and the others members of design team go to a massive effort to track the trends, travel abroad for samples and research, develop fabrics that not only do the job but give us high standard in performance.

I have just seen my work styled and photographed for the July marketing and I was blown away. I feel dead proud to say that I am contributing to Australian fashion, something I never got from London. In London I just felt lost in the industry, just another worker bee. Here I feel like I am actually doing something. True, Australia is not where the London or Paris or New York is at, but its getting there.

12-06-2006
windowshopping

Fashion Puss!

Are you working for SportsGirl?

12-06-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis_girl
Fashion Puss!

Are you working for SportsGirl?
No. Country Road

13-06-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
I have just seen my work styled and photographed for the July marketing and I was blown away. I feel dead proud to say that I am contributing to Australian fashion, something I never got from London. In London I just felt lost in the industry, just another worker bee. Here I feel like I am actually doing something. True, Australia is not where the London or Paris or New York is at, but its getting there.
This is so exciting to hear!!!! It sounds like you're loving it! I never asked, which branch are you working at? If its local, I could come say hi!

13-06-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the info. I never knew that. HeeHee =] [woops] thanks agains.
Thats okay kiss&tell! Also you mentioned wanting suede boots? I saw quite a few in shoe shops on Swan Street, Richmond. They tend to be discounted too as far I can remember. I'm on a hunt for a pair of slouchy black (leather)boots, but its impossible to find a pair without heels! Haha...its always what you are looking for that you are never able to find.

13-06-2006
backstage pass

puss in boots, what a great job! And I have to say that Country Road, whilst not overly directive, is definitely distinctively Australian and is one of the most (if not the most) enduring labels in oz, so you are lucky to be working for them and not ...supre!

13-06-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
puss in boots, what a great job! And I have to say that Country Road, whilst not overly directive, is definitely distinctively Australian and is one of the most (if not the most) enduring labels in oz, so you are lucky to be working for them and not ...supre!
So true! I find Country Road to be very classic but with a modern twist, although the best thing about it is the quality!!

13-06-2006
backstage pass

Its been very interesting working at Country Road. I work at the head offices with fabrics and there is so much going on.

We had a presentation from the marketing department a few weeks ago that had done some thorough research into the Australian fashion industry. I have a lot of respect for the brand that takes such time to learn from its customers and take on feedback.

13-06-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriseel
Thank you! Thats so nice!

13-06-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis_girl
I hate this.

It seems the tsubi brigade has evolved to this:
Credit: Myspace
Yes tsubi is crap, but that looks like all material boi

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags