How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

13-06-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by enak
Yes tsubi is crap, but that looks like all material boi
Yep, just saying the people who were probably originally into tsubi have now moved into X designer.

The main point of the pic was to demonstrate how terrible the ensemble is.

13-06-2006
backstage pass

Down with Supre!!!!!!!

Country Road definetely works in terms of structure and progress, and you sound like you have a great job!!!!! Something many of us will dream no doubt!!!

Im just waiting for the day my dream will be realised when I see a Miyake type label here...pleats...chiffon...ON MEN!!!! haha arh well, guess my avant-garde ideas will never come true

13-06-2006
front row

Ye I know, especially visible in the scenester crowd. It's a pity really because there really isn't much availiable in sydney in terms of guys clothing.

13-06-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by enak
Ye I know, especially visible in the scenester crowd. It's a pity really because there really isn't much availiable in sydney in terms of guys clothing.
Agreed!!! the only things I buy here are Bonds underwear and raglan s/s tees!!!!

Where do you shop for yer stuff enak?

and does anyone know what happened to Voi? that place thats opposite QVB? did they move or ?!?!??! and is it me or is the Gucci sale coming up?!?! the one opposite the street from the boutique??? hmm must be soon!!! Ferragamo one starts Thursday night if you have the invite, me thinks, its somewhere amongst my junk.

Last edited by bigb3n; 13-06-2006 at 05:34 AM.

13-06-2006
V.I.P.

YUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK those pants are starting to appear everywhere here! AKA EMO PANTS

Last edited by lemeray; 13-06-2006 at 05:52 AM.

13-06-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemeray
YUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK those pants are starting to appear everywhere here! AKA EMO PANTS
really? man thats a sight to guarantee sore eyes!!!...thank god ive been occupied with uni and now world cup...im not leaving the house till the trend dies!!!!

13-06-2006
windowshopping

no offence but im actually sick of aussie fashion* (im from vic&syd). you rarely see people with unique style. and the THONGS omg everyone here wears them everywhere from shopping to uni, even in winter. and summer is so typical - singlets + mini denim skirt + thongs + some cheap shopping bag you get from supre or bardot. & most the of girls wear sooo much make-up making them look even cheaper. but i do adore some* peoples' style.

13-06-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizawa
no offence but im actually sick of aussie fashion* (im from vic&syd). you rarely see people with unique style. and the THONGS omg everyone here wears them everywhere from shopping to uni, even in winter. and summer is so typical - singlets + mini denim skirt + thongs + some cheap shopping bag you get from supre or bardot. & most the of girls wear sooo much make-up making them look even cheaper. but i do adore some* peoples' style.
my sentiments exactly...

13-06-2006
front row

does anyone know where you can buy great bags in perth?? my guy friend really wants some stylish ones, but... alas we cant find any! any perth people know some good places

13-06-2006
scenester

Fashion Puss - it sounds like u have such a fun job? whats ur role title called? it sounds really good!!

aizawa - thats true about the thongs.. i must admit.. i have been a victim.. there so comfy.. but im starting to trade in my thongs for a lot of flats.. which is good!

14-06-2006
backstage pass

OMG I found Custo Barcelona tops at DJs sale right at some obscure rack at the back from 220 down to 60!!!!!!!

I grabbed one in each pattern there was to offer immediately, come spring/summer, if any of you Sydneysiders see this dude that looks like he came off Custo Barcelona's runway, its probably me! lol....one I will probably live to regret but oh well, IM happy now!!!

14-06-2006
backstage pass

Sounds like you go a couple of bargains there! I love a good sale

14-06-2006
windowshopping

Haha! I posted a thread on vogue forums on how every second post is about Alice Mccall or Lover and how boring it is.

I got a message saying they will ban me if i do anything similar again! VFP are disgusting pigs.

14-06-2006
front row

ellis_girl did they say why? I can understand if they were closing 'hate' threads, but if they're just censoring opinions that differ from the mainstream then there is something very wrong! I wonder if either of those brands sponsor or advertise with vogue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb3n
I feel its because of Australia's relative location with the world, as well as the culture not being really receptive to Europe/Japan/USA fashion. Most of the good stuff are unwilling to be made available here, higher cost, very very niche market, especially in Mens wear, I mean seriously not to bad-mouth Aussie men, but alot of them still wash their face with soap...they wear sweats and trackpants to uni...its really laid back, it is more of a comfy thing, even the fashion magazines for menswear caters to such a crowd where they are basically running graphic tees, jeans, blazers, thongs and really that look is dead...really what can there be expected of male fashion...hence I attribute it to cultural fashion. Because of that male international fashion here is unrealistically expensive, not only is it expensive, it is LATE...very late, as it caters to a very small crowd, the majority are unwilling to spend, even international designer discount shops stock the more graphic stuff, not to say its a bad thing, but creativity is just not a cutural trait when it comes to fashion.

Most of the local designers thats highly rated like Josh Goot are basically very remisnicient of old style Chalayan and Helmut Lang, it is more of a street style here, and it can be seen in the style of jeans, think Tsubi, the old Vicious Threads, Bettina Liano etc. Alot of the womenswear designers are copys, and I really think they are capable of much more, but really because of the market, I do not think that many will survive, its more for catering to what the market needs and wants.

I do not think its a patriotic thing, it is simply a cultural response, graphic tees and skinny jeans ARE what Australians call fashion, not necessarily a patriotic obsession with the labels, it is simply the mindset, and until it changes and I doubt it ever will, creative fashion will not be the mainstream.

As to shoes, it is horrible, for all the leather and fur available here, the standard of male shoes is absymal. The high end-retailers do import them, but once again, few models, generally stick to the conservative and very niche, hence very expensive. I do ALL my shopping online and alter it to fit me. Im not saying that Australia has no prospect with fashion and creativity, I just feel that they are capable of alot more than what they are showing, especially in menswear and mens accessories.
Great post bigb3n!
It is rather abysmal looking at the state of retail menswear in Australia. And as you said the issue lies with what the market needs and wants. Why would boutiques risk carrying labels which are lesser known here and when there is no established market for it? And sadly the few stores that do actually try to push the envelope often end up not being able to keep doing it because of a lack of interest.

I also don't see this changing much in the future because of the cultural disposition against creative fashion here. Now the question is how can that be changed...
I have a feeling that the laid back, casual nature of Australian culture will keep mainstream mens fashion circling in tees, jeans & thongs for a long time.

Great purchases by the way, don't we all love a bargain. Care to share any photos?

14-06-2006
backstage pass

Tastes like chic...Yeah!!!! Sales are my soul food!!!

ellis_girl...? omg really? some kinda board then...heh then again those people should be left there while we roam here!!! haha

Avantster...Thanks...and yeah it looks sad for menswear, but a little side of me is pleased that because of the boring menswear, it kinda makes those that believe in their own style stand out more!!!

and no pics for now, don't have a digicam after I lost mine 2 months ago!!!! I saw it on FTV, a couple of months ago, mostly L/S slim fit tees in white with bright prints and the sleeveless ones that Custo Barcelona adores so much, the one I really like is the one with the semi-straight..semi-cuffed hemline, and cut at the sides, shows the hip-bone a little and once again in white, but I am quite amazed at the cotton quality of Custo Barcelona, my initial impression of Custo was that it was all about the prints, minimal cutting and average material, Im so wrong, even at full price, the prints are well-set, the cutting is super for a lean-toned body..requires a good tanned bod as well, the prints/colour combi will really stand on olive skin, and the material is good and very comfy!!!

But because of my buys now, I cant get this Issey Miyake scarf Ive been eyeing for weeks, Im praying no one picks it up and Ill be able to grab it in 2 weeks!!! hehe One reason why I believe the Custo stuff is at such a bargain price is that I don't believe anyone will buy them!!! Its rather far out flamboyance and will definetely capture attention, kinda like a youthful vibrant vain Cavalli without the furs and luxury. If I can pick up such stuff at DJs all the time, Ill be one very happy person!!!

Last edited by bigb3n; 14-06-2006 at 08:41 AM.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
australian, street, style