How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

05-08-2006
scenester

any new pics?

im seeing a lot of leggings in the shops .. but i haven seen one person pull it off..dunno

also is the high waist belt stiiiiillll in?

05-08-2006
fashion icon

More pics from Melbourne!

www.threethousand.com

05-08-2006
fashion icon

more...same source

05-08-2006
fashion icon

same source

Last edited by aliceee; 05-08-2006 at 06:59 PM.

05-08-2006
scenester

thank you aliceee

very interesting fashion & culture!

19-08-2006
scenester

ok... whats the deal with leggings in Australia?

It seems to be still everywhere and in.. i think..

however in america they've gotten over the whole fad

19-08-2006
front row

This is a great thread and I love seeing what people from around town are wearing!

About the messy school girl hair, I think I am a primary offender It's not that I PURPOSELY make it messy, I just wake up and don't really put much of an effort into styling my hair, because a) It's only school, and b) I'm almost always late. Sorry!

And I have an opinion on the Vogue forums. I think some of the girls (and guys) on there are very close minded when it comes to fashion and style. I think alot of them are all about designers and labels, and not much else in terms of actual 'style'. If you don't have pieces by Lover, Alice McCall, Karen Walker etc. then you're not welcome into the little club that they've got going on there, especially in that 'What I am Doing/Wearing Today' thread. Aah ok that sounds almost like a rant, sorry if I've offended anyone

Last edited by chip45; 19-08-2006 at 03:58 AM.

19-08-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip45
And I have an opinion on the Vogue forums. I think some of the girls (and guys) on there are very close minded when it comes to fashion and style. I think alot of them are all about designers and labels, and not much else in terms of actual 'style'.
Indeed - there is a difference between style and labels. While being into a certain label may mean you're into a certain aesthetic, style is more than just an aesthetic. IMO style is a very personal expression of yourself - be it a mood, a statement, an idea... or just your personality.

Then again I do believe everyone including myself has a little label snob devil whispering into their ears every now and then...

20-08-2006
V.I.P.

The girl with the blue tights, her outfit is disgusting!!! Some people take street or whatever it is too far thinking they look so cool.

21-08-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantster
Indeed - there is a difference between style and labels. While being into a certain label may mean you're into a certain aesthetic, style is more than just an aesthetic. IMO style is a very personal expression of yourself - be it a mood, a statement, an idea... or just your personality.

Then again I do believe everyone including myself has a little label snob devil whispering into their ears every now and then...
ZOMG!!! read my mind with that, cant agree more, style definetely is a personal expression and should reflect yourself.

Totally emphatise with the label snob devil, I try and preach so hard about not being a label whore to everyone, but here I am saving up for my 2nd Gucci tote amongst others, sighz

22-08-2006
fashion insider

Can anyone help me find a dress because I am going to a wedding this weekend and there will be over 600 people so I really want to make a good impression but don't want to spend too much so does anybody have any good suggestions of a dress that is good for day & night? Thankyou.

23-08-2006
scenester

hi kiss &tell i too have a wedding too go to this year and am already searching for a dress too wear:p

theres always the worry of "what if someone wears the same dress" LOL

thats y i've been getting inspiration from net-a-porter.com and some of the american websites...

23-08-2006
V.I.P.

Thanks for the pics!

23-08-2006
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathkt
hi kiss &tell i too have a wedding too go to this year and am already searching for a dress too wear:p

theres always the worry of "what if someone wears the same dress" LOL

thats y i've been getting inspiration from net-a-porter.com and some of the american websites...
Thanks. Karma.

Last edited by kiss&tell; 23-08-2006 at 09:49 PM.

25-08-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrot
oh that would be the "emo"/ scene wave hitting australia. Its pretty creepy, definately disturbing, and extroradinarily funny.

Quite deplorable really, oh well. I just turn a blind eye- but what's worse is that annoying " i'm so scene, i'm cool!" attitude. It's quite funny that it's just a basic uniform of ill fitting drainpipes, crayola make-up, layered tops.

i think that australian style can be quite good, but it's a minority and you would only see them in the fashionable areas. unfortunatly the photos posted reflect the faux-emo punk trend thus giving Australians a bad name.
What you are describing here is the 'average' teenage dress code and yes its the skanky emo scenester punk uniform. And its just not Australia, there are pockets of these infestations all over the world. On a whole no matter where you go in the world, no matter what era it is, teenagers lack style because they usually haven't developed any yet. They usually copy one another and buy cheap mass produced clothes because thats all they can afford. To get a good sense of a city's real style you need to take a sample of people from a mid 20s and onwards age bracket and not look to the local school kids as a fashion barometre.

I think people in Australia who are fashion conscious dress really well and are fashion forward. We are lucky being antipodeans in that we are a season AHEAD of the rest of the world.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
australian, street, style