How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

07-11-2009
blink once. blink twice.

I love that yellow dress! So adorable.

07-11-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
A lot of people really really follow trends in australia. Pretty much every girl i see has on denim short shorts or is going for the indie/cardigan i buy all my clothes at an op shop look or is a hardcore/emo kid. Its really quite boring. But i think its cultural in that peoples genuine eccentricitys arent celebrated here and you are almost looked down on a bit for being too dressed up.
I agree! most style for girls is denim shorts a cardy and white sand shoes with like you said the "i shop at an op shop" look which generally means 'i buy overpriced clothes from general pants because it LOOKS op shop'

When I first went over seas for modelling when I was 15 i left australia with that style and came back alot more worldly when it came to fashion. I know how corny that may sound or whatever but honestly I dress so differently to what my friends do.. that when I returned alot of them couldnt "cope" with my change. funny I know.
and yes they said that.

24-11-2009
windowshopping

Living in Perth I can definitely agree with that the whole 'op shop outfit' thing seems to be 'in vogue' it reminds me of the 'emo' phase that occurred a couple years back.

I find that in Perth ( I think someone has mentioned this before) its actually quite an inhibited place for fashion and expression (even with Australia). For instance I love wearing red and sometimes dark lipsticks but you get so much attention, not always good and I get so uncomfortable.

01-12-2009
backstage pass

I was at one of the University's in perth today, and they showed us a presentation of what some of the fashion students did for the uni's fashion show last year and for styleaid and that kind of stuff.

There was some sensational stuff in there, so creative. I love Australian designers, and i am looking forward to seeing if any of these guys create their own lines. Just some of the stuff was so innovative and really cool.

01-12-2009
front row

Although this is at a music festival these photos pretty much sum up the average...kinda fashionable Aussie person to me. Pretty much goes with what everyone is saying about the whole op-shop style of dressing.

Another thing that I think contribute to the fact that people look the same is girls are usually Tan + Blond. In my school you look around and 2/3 girls is very tan and blond. So not only are peoples clothes/style very similar but they all tend to go for the same look when it comes to their body. This probably applies to more coastal regions though.

source: 2dayfm.com.au

Last edited by classicalbang; 01-12-2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Please do not use links as credits

01-12-2009
front row

source: imelda.com.au

Last edited by classicalbang; 01-12-2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Please do not use links as credits

01-12-2009
on the come up

green goblin...
kidding, are these from Melbourne?

01-12-2009
backstage pass

i like what ythe second girl is wearing in #921
thanks for these

01-12-2009
front row

^^ Some them are from Melbourne, others from Sydney.

03-12-2009
rising star

I don't think I have ever admired someones outfit/street style ever in Sydney.
Well, maybe around 5 or less times.
I'm not saying that the people here dress atrociously, just nothing that actually catches my eye.

Or maybe I'm just never in the right place at the right time?

03-12-2009
trendsetter

the sartorialist is coming back next week and he's going to do some street shooting when he's not book signing... collective sigh of relief from syd/melb fashionistas (and stos)...

04-12-2009
scenester

#921 those snaps are amazing! thanks

i think its harder to find fashion forward clothes in the summer, merely because most people are more concerned about comfort in the heat over fashion.

10-12-2009
trendsetter

^ def when its 40degrees + you have to choose comfort over style... i think there are some aus Sat pics out now- will have to find them!!!

10-12-2009
front row

OMG when was bryan boy in Australia!

10-12-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by risska View Post

Although this is at a music festival these photos pretty much sum up the average...kinda fashionable Aussie person to me. Pretty much goes with what everyone is saying about the whole op-shop style of dressing.

Another thing that I think contribute to the fact that people look the same is girls are usually Tan + Blond. In my school you look around and 2/3 girls is very tan and blond. So not only are peoples clothes/style very similar but they all tend to go for the same look when it comes to their body. This probably applies to more coastal regions though.

source: 2dayfm.com.au
sorry to be ignorant but what exactly does "op-shop" mean? is it the equivalent of looking "hipster"? (someone mentioned "op-shop" with General Pants and when i went to General Pants, i thought it was kind of trendy and a bit hipster)

also, about what you said about most girls being "tan and blond", this was something i noticed a little bit when i was visitng eastern coastl australia last month (sydney, melbourne, brisbane). i mean, the girls looked great, very beachy, girly and pretty but mostly all the same. i did see lots of edgier, more individual looks though that caught my eye--particularly in Newtown. i really liked a lot of the looks i saw on my trip! great shopping too!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
australian, street, style