How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-07-2006
front row

aww.. i just moved to california from berlin! i totally miss berlin! the style here is horrible! everyone looks like trhey're comming straight from abercrombie commercials!!! ugh! berlin def. had sum interesting ppls!

07-08-2006
front row

the 80s are back - at least in berlin!
lot of girls here wearing big oversized pullovers over leggins (often gray, somestimes black) or skinny jeans (blue, mostly black), accesoires from the 80s (plastic bangles, red fake-leather bags, all a bit cheapy looking), blouses with polkadots in purple, dark green or red and black leather blousons - chucks or flat vintage boots in grey or blue. hair undone, some make up.

and some words to the "strange" berlin style: at first it depends on the quarter you are:
mitte: mix between business people, tourists and not so many real berliners - they are dressed very normal.
prenzlauer berg: very hip at the younger generation - lots of 20 - 40 year old people, many families with babies, many celebs are living there, so quiet everybody is dressed as a little star (big sunglasses is a must!)
friedrichshain: full of students, lots of alternative people, some stylish, some not
kreuzberg: a lot of "against fashion" people, dress as you like, no one on the street will raise their brows when you are dressed shity, mixed population here - young people, old people, students, people without a job, junkies, alkoholics, turkish people, artists.... the whole mix

ive never been so often to the other quarters, so its hard to me to say anything about them.
is there anybody from berlin and can tell, whats his/her impression of the city?

09-08-2006
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by no*more*art
news from berlin:

more, as usual, on http://stilinberlin.blogspot.com/

@ silly, the most of the pics were taken in Mitte (which is not a that big difference to prenzlauer berg, I have to admit), but we tried to take pictures in for example charlottenburg and wilmersdorf aswell, but we did not succeed! (maybe you can suggest any good and interesting places there?)

@ bluerise, to be honest, we are planning a feature on that neukoelln-style (because it's a part of the berlin style)

@ zazie, thanks for the tip! we'll try that as soon as we can!
Wow, I think I used to live in that building ... (difficult to tell one Plattenbau from another!) Is it Torstrasse/Tucholvskystrasse?

In Berlin about 85% percent dress like crap. The other really really dont. Focus is very little on designer brands and very much about compiling your outfit from different sources. If one of those is your grandma - even better.
When I lived there, 2003, the early and glamourous 80´s still had the better part of town in a firm grip and there were lots and lots of small designers with very varied if not so groundbreaking styles.

The city environement is also quite rough, with no fixing of pavements since the 60s, lots of construction and not seldom illegal basement clubs when you least expect it. This of course reflects the dress code away from the most sheer and elegant. The first weeks I lived there I found this rather discomforting, but it didnt take long before I could start appreciating the opportunities and hidden treasures losing the bounds of prettyness I reaslised held.

Last edited by Baizilla; 22-09-2006 at 02:54 PM.
09-08-2006
front row

im going to berlin next week!im so waiting to see what berliners (?) look and dress like .cant wait

i was wondering if you can tell any small shop or store i cant miss! something really "berlin-style"..underground..stylish..cheap or expensive. clothes or accessorize. whatever

thank you guys! ill be taking pictures and ill post them when ill be back home-italy!

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner13
im going to berlin next week!im so waiting to see what berliners (?) look and dress like .cant wait

i was wondering if you can tell any small shop or store i cant miss! something really "berlin-style"..underground..stylish..cheap or expensive. clothes or accessorize. whatever

thank you guys! ill be taking pictures and ill post them when ill be back home-italy!
Well, I havent lived there since 2003 and in my opinion that city is the fastest changing on the planet, perhaps beaten by Dubai if only the outerworks counts ... but based on my old info, I recommend Kauf dich glücklich (loosely translated Shop yourself happy) on Oderbergerstrasse. Mainly furniture but all sorts of stuff really (all 2nd hand) and a waffle café. Mmm ...

19-08-2006
scenester

more ...as you know!

scenester

scenester

yes, stilinberlin is still alive!

vertebrae by vertebrae

Thanks for the pics, that white dress is adorable imo, love the neckline

15-11-2006
rising star

Not a big fan but still faaaaaaar better than Düsseldorf. Most Germans have absolutely no style.
The funniest thing though is that most German women are totally shopping crazy and consider themselves fashionistas but just end up looking really tacky and boring.

They have a great love for everything brown (especially boots) and pointy shoes.

If you want to see how the regular German "fashionista" dresses have a look here:

http://www2.glamour.de/glamour/glamu...c.php?t=115977

It's not like that looks that horrible (most of the time)... but alot of it is pretty much the same.

16-11-2006
scenester

Thanks Still in Berlin. I'm moving to Berlin for 3 months in a couple of weeks. Will be doing some bar work there and saving money. If you are ever around Wilmersdorf maybe youll spot me if im looking particularly stylish

27-11-2006
windowshopping

nice streetstyle

27-12-2006
LOVE

I love Berlin.....everyone looks fabulous!!!!!

30-12-2006
windowshopping

I went to Berlin for love parade a couple of years ago (the year it got cancelled, doh) and remember being shocked at how badly dressed everyone was....it was like being in a time warp to the mid 90s and not in a stylish, well nuanced kind of way! It was cool that there were still quite a few classic punks about though, dont see that too much in the UK anymore. Around the time I went electroclash was still quite big so I was expecting to see some people dressed like that...there wasnt anyone except me, lol. Maybe I just didnt go to the right places though?

LOVE

I was there too in 2000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well...it´s true people were dressed totally insane!!!!!

http://www.nurso.de/loveparade/

But I loved it then!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
berlin, street, style