How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-12-2007
front row

Uggs are for outdoors, they do make slippers too. Tell it to the UGG CO:
http://www.uggaustralia.com/
We got your point, you don't like Boston. Tant Pis.

06-12-2007
backstage pass

excuse me i'm australian. we invented ugg boots. the name comes from the word ugly. americans took the name and started wearing them outdoors. they even told us for a long time that we could not use the name ugg boots. i don't care of they say they are for outside. anyone that does this is stupid. seriously. they have no idea.

06-12-2007
girl who fell to earth

^^ that's a bit harsh...

no need to attack boston/bostonians specifically for the ugg boots outdoors look..
people all over america are doing it..

websites all over recommend them for outdoors and there are many versions with thick soles and treads made specifically for the outdoors..

moving on and getting back on topic...
Boston style for the most part is uninteresting but I've certainly seen a few rays of light among the clouds

09-12-2007
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyM View Post
^^ that's a bit harsh...

no need to attack boston/bostonians specifically for the ugg boots outdoors look..
people all over america are doing it..

websites all over recommend them for outdoors and there are many versions with thick soles and treads made specifically for the outdoors..

moving on and getting back on topic...
Boston style for the most part is uninteresting but I've certainly seen a few rays of light among the clouds
I totally agree.

Its a look that has affected the country EVERYWHERE.

I actually see it more in DC than Boston.

09-12-2007
backstage pass

sorry if it was harsh but i lived in boston for 5 months and all i ever saw was ugg boots. it's just something that got to me. it's an australian icon, an australian way of life and then suddenly the americans came and sue us over our own name. for a while we had to make up other names in catalogues for the boots. because the american's wanted to use our name ugg. and wouldn't allow us to use it. i get quite fired up over it haha.
i do realize they make them more suitable for the outdoors. but they just look so terrible. it's not something that someone of style should wear. ha sorry. i'll shutup now.
i've lived in a few other cities on the east coast and never saw them as much as in boston. i didn't see many in dc, but i wasn't there for as long. just a couple of weeks.

09-12-2007
front row

ah, but they are perfect for our winters and so somfortable for some one with foot problems. My first pair were made in New Zealong. My new ones in Au, Jumbo Uggs!

09-12-2007
girl who fell to earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by australian_girl View Post
sorry if it was harsh but i lived in boston for 5 months and all i ever saw was ugg boots. it's just something that got to me. it's an australian icon, an australian way of life and then suddenly the americans came and sue us over our own name. for a while we had to make up other names in catalogues for the boots. because the american's wanted to use our name ugg. and wouldn't allow us to use it. i get quite fired up over it haha.
i do realize they make them more suitable for the outdoors. but they just look so terrible. it's not something that someone of style should wear. ha sorry. i'll shutup now.
i've lived in a few other cities on the east coast and never saw them as much as in boston. i didn't see many in dc, but i wasn't there for as long. just a couple of weeks.
maybe it's because MA is further north and has harsher winters?
i would definitely agree that the ugg boots are ugly...
but i have to also confess that i own a pair and still consider them to be one of the best purchases i've made

nothing else keeps my feet so warm in the winter and provides the same level of comfort..
i think that is what is so attractive about the ugg boots to so many bostonians..

whatever legal stuff went on is unfortunate and i can't claim to know much about it, but i will definitely continue to wear my uggs this winter..
and i definitely wouldn't say that i am an un-stylish person..
sometimes warmth and comfort just wins though :p
you just have to try a little harder to balance the ugliness of the uggs with a cool outfit
draw the eyes upward

10-12-2007
front row

Yeah I agree. Y'all need to fallback and calm yourself a bit because comfort wins in this situation. The winters are harsh up here.

10-12-2007
front row

"ewww boston is so boring. no style and nothing to offer. sorry"

Um yea, so thanks for being so rude and bashing my city.

Boston style is very diverse, it all depends on where in the city you are. Newbury street and Beacon hill you'll see alot of pricey designer looks, where in Cambridge you tend to see alot of boho looks. Its a beautiful city, WITH ALOT TO OFFER.

10-12-2007
rising star

I just like that it's suddenly Boston's fault that americans wear ugg boots. I don't even like them or own them, but it's all over the country, it's not some Boston trend. And wearing uggs in the harsh winters of Boston is better than the people who wear them with miniskirts in LA...

10-12-2007
front row

Phrase to live by..."There are those who are from Boston and those who wish they were." stop the hatin'

On a more on-topic note. I was at the garment district in cambridge the other day and I saw this awesome girl who had mad rough hair, but she had this leaf-print skirt that hit at her calves, a regular tank top, and this crazy crochetted bolero type deal. I'm guessing she bought it on the second floor with all the decade clothes, but she looked sick.

12-12-2007
backstage pass

sorry i was a bit harsh. i guess when i was living there i just didn't see the cool people. don't get me wrong i do like the city. it does have a lot to offer. but yeah i don't know i just didn't see much happening there myself. i mean i'm just telling the truth. i'm not trying to bash the city. look i apologize, i wouldn't like someone to say that about my city! it is cute and very clean. and i did like the garment district. there was a very cute boy that worked there on sundays. hahaha. and i did buy awesome stuff from the garment district.

12-12-2007
girl who fell to earth

i think judging a city's stylishness in winter is also exceptionally tough..
especially in boston or in other cities where the winters can be really harsh..
(though i don't know when you were living here so who knows :p)

boston is certainly no new york when it comes to the number of people who go for it style-wise..
i would say that most/a lot of people play it safe..
and just stick to the traditional gap/ j crew/ preppy looks...

there are some of us out there who try harder though!

13-12-2007
brooklyn is burning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyM View Post
i would say that most/a lot of people play it safe..
and just stick to the traditional gap/ j crew/ preppy looks...
That's how we are in the District. Lol. I think it's just like that on the East coast.

fashion elite

Ive not gone to the Garment District yet

Is it worth a trip really?

I actually work down the road from there.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boston, street, style