How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
15-12-2007
  166
windowshopping
 
Kayleigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: femme
Posts: 10
ummm....wierd, every time i go to Boston I see people who are fashionable, but there are people who aren't either, just like any other big city.

Newbury street has some really good stores, i.e Chanel Raulph Lauren, Guess, French Connection, H&M, ect. Last time I went there was this European based fashion store that just opened and it had the cutest dresses. The only problem with Newbury St. and so on, is that the stores are pretty expensive, and it does have a lot of students, and people that just dont have the money. Which sucks, but oh well thats life I guess huh?

There aren't a lot of people who work in the fashion industry in Boston, like in New York.

I just think that there are people who care and dont care about how they look or should I say are and aren't into fashion in every city.

__________________
ďLove is a disease of the heart...in the end, there is no treatment curable and it might just kill you-Betsy Johnson
  Reply With Quote
 
16-12-2007
  167
fashion elite
 
Ianastar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Engulfing a Lobster Roll
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayleigh View Post
ummm....wierd, every time i go to Boston I see people who are fashionable, but there are people who aren't either, just like any other big city.

Newbury street has some really good stores, i.e Chanel Raulph Lauren, Guess, French Connection, H&M, ect. Last time I went there was this European based fashion store that just opened and it had the cutest dresses. The only problem with Newbury St. and so on, is that the stores are pretty expensive, and it does have a lot of students, and people that just dont have the money. Which sucks, but oh well thats life I guess huh?

There aren't a lot of people who work in the fashion industry in Boston, like in New York.

I just think that there are people who care and dont care about how they look or should I say are and aren't into fashion in every city.
I think you are right too.

Obviously there are tons of people in the fashion/beauty industry in NYC and I also think that NYC is not a college town per say like Boston is known as a college town, and Boston still has a bit of that blue collar background that you dont see as much in NYC.

So I think people are less daring here than in NYC. People know that you can see ANYTHING in NYC and are braver when it comes to wearing something different and nice. Where as in Boston, I think there is still that fear of being ridiculed or something if you dont fit in the collegiate look or what have you.

__________________
It's said,
The map of the world is on you
The moon gravitates around you
  Reply With Quote
16-12-2007
  168
girl who fell to earth
 
ChrissyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Boston
Gender: femme
Posts: 18,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianastar View Post
I think you are right too.

Obviously there are tons of people in the fashion/beauty industry in NYC and I also think that NYC is not a college town per say like Boston is known as a college town, and Boston still has a bit of that blue collar background that you dont see as much in NYC.

So I think people are less daring here than in NYC. People know that you can see ANYTHING in NYC and are braver when it comes to wearing something different and nice. Where as in Boston, I think there is still that fear of being ridiculed or something if you dont fit in the collegiate look or what have you.
i think this is VERY true..
i think it's a lot easier to be daring with clothing choices in NY than it is in Boston... just because it's a lot more common to be daring/whimsical/quirky etc in NY.. which in a perverted way makes that sort of the norm there.. if that makes sense..

so I think you have to have a lot more guts and confidence to experiment here because it will make a bigger splash or impression than it potentially will in places like NY because there are so many more people out there who are also more daring with their clothing..

here it's like being a red crayon in a box with 20 black/grey/white crayonsand 5 red crayons total and in NY i feel like there are 10 red crayons and 20 of the others..
if that makes sense :p

  Reply With Quote
16-12-2007
  169
front row
 
McGovLau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Boston
Gender: femme
Posts: 361
Oh my god the whole daring factor is so incredibly true!! I go to a lot of irish pubs and bars and I know damn well that if I look slightly ridiculous, I'm gonna get ripped aparttttt hahaha.

Chris garment district is fun if you find good stuff, it's a total gamble. The people there almost make it worth it everytime.

I love newbury st and it's shopping, but I admit that I'm usually way too poor to shop there haha. If I go shopping there I will hit up one slightly expensive store and buy one thing...then make my way to h&m where stuff is cheaper.

__________________
что?
  Reply With Quote
16-12-2007
  170
fashion elite
 
Ianastar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Engulfing a Lobster Roll
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,930
Ha Ha...Im glad that Im not the only one who sees the only daring thing.

where I work there is this guy that comes in everyday. I know the people (guys) who work where I do kind of laugh at him.

But everyday I look to see what he is wearing. So daring, so stylish. I love seeing what he is wearing. I SWEAR Ive seen him some YSL Jonny boots too. LOL!

AND, I just recently found out that he is a fashion designer from KANSAS (for petes sake). He has AMAZING fashion sense. Im scared to talk to him because he'll think Im a freak or something. But I know for a FACT that people look at him oddly.

__________________
It's said,
The map of the world is on you
The moon gravitates around you
  Reply With Quote
28-12-2007
  171
scenester
 
GlissadeJete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 74
i just moved to boston from nyc a few weeks ago. the whole style and footwear situation really makes me cry.

i know there's snow but there ARE other comfortable warm boots other than uggs and merrel.

whenever i go into boutiques the owners feel like they need to inform me that boston isn't very fashionable and well, i obviously stand out.. FINE! i don't care! i'm not going to change because this city is obsessed with sports jerseys and crocs!

i'm just not feeling boston at ALL. thank god for the cheap chinatown bus!

__________________
StyleDiary
  Reply With Quote
28-12-2007
  172
front row
 
McGovLau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Boston
Gender: femme
Posts: 361
^Lol have you had the pleasure of seeing the disasterous college students yet ? I'm obsessed with my friends from Japan at school. I think they bring awesome fashion to boston...people should copy it haha.

__________________
что?
  Reply With Quote
28-12-2007
  173
Deep Red Bells
 
brokenenglish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: stuck here
Gender: femme
Posts: 7,828
I have to say this winter in Boston I have been pleasantly surprised.
Much less UGG and other ugly boots and more cute flat leather boots around.
I know they got sort of trendy this year....
guess everyone is still following the trends- but at least this time it's a cute one.

  Reply With Quote
28-12-2007
  174
scenester
 
GlissadeJete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGovLau View Post
^Lol have you had the pleasure of seeing the disasterous college students yet ? I'm obsessed with my friends from Japan at school. I think they bring awesome fashion to boston...people should copy it haha.
Pleasure? Omg it all makes my head explode. Dirty uggs, sweats, and polar fleece worn to dinner at mid to hi priced nightspots? Where were these people raised?

I swear everytime i leave the house someone points out that i'm too fashiony for boston. Well... I think they are disrespectful and sloppy. I'd rather make them uncomfortable with my nyc fashion if it bothers them that much!

__________________
StyleDiary
  Reply With Quote
28-12-2007
  175
still here
 
mundodabolsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: nyc
Gender: femme
Posts: 6,346
^I completely agree about people wearing pajama-like clothes out to nicer places. I don't see how being a college student and not wanting to dress up for class is an excuse to look like a slob. When you're a college student, all you're doing is going to class, if you don't put on real clothes then, when do you?!


so can we see pictures glissadejete? I want to see what too fashiony for Boston is!

__________________

  Reply With Quote
28-12-2007
  176
girl who fell to earth
 
ChrissyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Boston
Gender: femme
Posts: 18,637
glassadejete definitely don't compromise your fashion because some people in Boston don't "get it"..

i'm sure that there are people looking at you with envy and they are just too shy to compliment you

  Reply With Quote
28-12-2007
  177
rising star
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston
Gender: femme
Posts: 119
I've lived in Boston all of my life, am a college student, and agree completely. It's especially silly because the Uggs, Northfaces, etc are far from cheap..And with that money or even much less, they could get something more unique/flattering/etc.
I have occasionally seen people wearing interesting pieces outside, but that's the exception more than the rule.
I am especially frustrated with the closing of the downtown Filenes' Basement, because they had some unique things there for good prices..and also loved the hunt.

  Reply With Quote
28-12-2007
  178
front row
 
BohoBelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Boston
Gender: femme
Posts: 217
Wow, why all the hate for my city? Alot of you must also realize that it is freezing here in the winter. But seriously, why the need to be rude

__________________
You don't find a style, ... a style finds you.
- Keith Richards
  Reply With Quote
28-12-2007
  179
Deep Red Bells
 
brokenenglish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: stuck here
Gender: femme
Posts: 7,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by mundodabolsa View Post

so can we see pictures glissadejete? I want to see what too fashiony for Boston is!
Check out the StyleDiary link in her sig.
Her style is fantastic.

  Reply With Quote
28-12-2007
  180
Deep Red Bells
 
brokenenglish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: stuck here
Gender: femme
Posts: 7,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by BohoBelle View Post
Wow, why all the hate for my city? Alot of you must also realize that it is freezing here in the winter. But seriously, why the need to be rude

I don't think anyone is being rude.
If so, I think the hate is aimed at pj's and UGGS... not Boston itself.

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boston, street, style
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.