How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-11-2006
trendsetter

at first i thought this was a boring city... but now i find something to like more and more about boston almost everyday.

11-11-2006
go red sox

Wow, this sure is a negative thread so far!

I think Boston is a very stylish city, but perhaps its just around my area? I'm a BU student, and a rather large tuition equals a lot of rich students.

In terms of fashion designers, I see tons and tons of Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Dior accessories, and lots of the H&M and Target designer collaboration clothes.

One thing about Boston style I don't like - a lot of ugly shoes.

Also, people seem to be obsessed with those hideous Vera Bradley bags, and the ubiquitous UGGs, which I absolutely refuse to buy even if my feet turn blue from the cold.

And in terms of Boston being boring and having no shopping - when you come from an area where everything closes at 9:30 and the only remotely stylish store is a Nordstrom's, Boston seems like the most exciting city in the world. I love Boston.

Last edited by peacelover142002; 11-11-2006 at 10:37 PM.
12-11-2006
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mundodabolsa
^yes there is, at Copley. There is a Neimans, Barneys, and Saks there.

I think you should come! Boston ain't NY, but it sure beats out Florida! :p
anything at this point will be better than Florida.

So is there two Saks in Boston now....or just the one at Prudential??

I want to check out Johnny Cupcakes when Im there in a few weeks as well.:p

12-11-2006
still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianastar
anything at this point will be better than Florida.

So is there two Saks in Boston now....or just the one at Prudential??

I want to check out Johnny Cupcakes when Im there in a few weeks as well.:p
just 1, I always say it's at Copley when really it's over on the Pru side of the mall, it's the same thing, but it was recently remodeled and the main floor is entirely different, but I haven't noticed anything about the menswear to be honest, sorry.

12-11-2006
barack the vote

In my opinion, Boston is not a very stylish city... or at least not a city where people take a lot of style risks. I guess it all depends on what you think is stylish, but it seems to me here that people really follow the trends of big labels and try to emulate "celebrity style".

Boston is trying to make itself recognized as a stylish city, though. A few weeks a go in the Globe was a list of the top 20 stylish Bostonians and right now at the MFA there's the Fashion Show exhibit. But I really don't think that all of this, plus the prescene of luxury stores, is going to make Boston a more "stylish" city. The majority of Boston women I've seen all wear designer denim, wear pointy shoes and have Chloe or Gucci bags. All the girls my age wear Juicy, UGGS and have Vera Bradley bags ( ) Although there are stores in Boston that carry what I believe to be more stylish clothing (Louis, Alan Bilzerian), I've never seen anyone wear something like that. For evening, women here seem to be either wearing something conservative or in the vein of Valentino/Dolce...

Honestly, I think if you want to find interesting Boston street style, go to Cambridge.

13-11-2006
fashion elite

I just found out about the MFA Fashion exhibit. Im putting it on my list to check out while Im there in a few weeks. The SO said we are supposed to be doing stuff that we would do if we lived there....to really get a feel for it. NOT doing tourist stuff.

But hey its fashion, and a museum..............so not really touristy.LOL

18-01-2007
fashion elite

Im moving in May to Boston.

Once I move, I'll have to add to this thread more...maybe keep it alive.

18-01-2007
trendsetter

I saw many people, young and old, in Boston and suburban areas wearing clogs and older women seem to love Vera Bradley handbags. These are something I didn't see in other cities. Other than that, all the same, more or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianastar
Im moving in May to Boston.

Once I move, I'll have to add to this thread more...maybe keep it alive.
Welcome to Boston. I used to live in Orlando.

Last edited by LoveLetter; 18-01-2007 at 02:35 PM.
26-01-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92
heh....

i think style is generally improving in boston....the first H&M only opened in 2000. there is no forever21 here (there's very little cheap chic in fact).

in fact, i think boston is one of the most under retailed cities in the country. we are missing so many stores that other "lesser" cities have. we have no nordstroms, no zara. there's a bloomingdales in the suburbs but its difficult to get to...

i never liked shopping at the saks here as it was missing so many brands, had poor service and the carpets were stained....

we have to wait until 2010 for a nordstroms that will open 20 miles away...

the barneys store opening was great. i was so happy when it opened.

i think in general most real bostonians (not tourists) wont pay a lot for fashion. that may be why most of them are so poorly dressed. also we dress for the weather and for comfort and obesity is a huge problem here (no matter how many times boston/cambridge lands on the "healthiest cities" list.)
There was a H&M in Holyoke before there was one in Boston, which I thought was pretty odd

Bloomingdale's isn't that tough to get to. You just take the D-line to Chestnut Hill and walk about 5-10 minutes

If you really want to get to Nordstroms when it opens and you do not own a car, there is always an option of taking the Peter Pan bus from South Station

26-01-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelover142002
Wow, this sure is a negative thread so far!

I think Boston is a very stylish city, but perhaps its just around my area? I'm a BU student, and a rather large tuition equals a lot of rich students.

In terms of fashion designers, I see tons and tons of Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Dior accessories, and lots of the H&M and Target designer collaboration clothes.

One thing about Boston style I don't like - a lot of ugly shoes.

Also, people seem to be obsessed with those hideous Vera Bradley bags, and the ubiquitous UGGs, which I absolutely refuse to buy even if my feet turn blue from the cold.

And in terms of Boston being boring and having no shopping - when you come from an area where everything closes at 9:30 and the only remotely stylish store is a Nordstrom's, Boston seems like the most exciting city in the world. I love Boston.
I went to BU and in one of my classes we were discussing how juvenile and crappy H&M is:p

I agree...Uggs are ugly...they should be banned

26-01-2007
front row

this must be the first streetstyle thread i've encountered that doesn't have pictures. i'll see if i can post any real streetstyle pics in the future.

a few people have mentioned the boston globe's 25 stylish people. i hadn't heard of it prior to reading this thread, so i checked it out online. here's stylish person #15, judge maria lopez:

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/fashion/gallery/1102_top25

and this is the caption accompanying the pic:
Quote:
"For work I have a stylist," she said. "Her name is LaToya, a very sensuous woman with impeccable taste. She dresses me in these bright-colored shirts that were actually made for me by Ascot Chang. She took me there and had me fitted and had two-dozen different-color blouses. "
"for work i have a stylist"....riiiiiiiggghhht...i thought being stylish was about STYLING YOURSELF. that's pretty lame that the globe put a person who gets styled by someone else in there.

Last edited by dreamecho; 26-01-2007 at 12:25 PM.
29-01-2007
windowshopping

There are definitely some interesting opinions going on here! Haha. I feel like there are a couple of factors that work in/against Boston's fashion favor.

1) the first is college students! for a small city, there are many colleges (and that's not even counting those in Cambridge or neighboring towns/cities). While this unfortunately can lead to some unstylish results (rampant uggs, for example) it does also mean that (as someone mentioned) there are a lot of wealthy students from all over the rest of the US and the world [I also go to BU and we have a large international student population]. I think this not only brings their individual styles but is increasingly creating a demand for more unique shopping. This is especially true as more and more younger people arrive who have grown up with a culture of spending and designer labels, etc.

2) the second is that I think a lot of the art/creative scene has mostly resided in Cambridge, as others have said. There is a lot more diversity and risk-taking in the fashion area in Cambridge. I do think it's starting to meander over to Boston, though, especially as it tries to jazz itself up (such as the ICA opening).

I live in Back Bay so I definitely run into a lot of the "typical" Bostonian look. As others have mentioned, it is preppy'ish and fairly conservative. Well-known brands brands reign here, as someone mentioned most people wearing designer denim, pointy shoes and a Gucci/Chloe bag.

Boston seems to be responding well though, they have continued to open new boutiques and the influx of department store renovations (the new Bloomingdale's, the coming "luxury" mall at Natick, Saks renov., the new Barney's) is forcing a lot of stores to think creatively and carry lesser-known names (as they will all otherwise be carrying the same stuff).

In an attempt to be fair, the weather often does not help in our favor. About a week ago, the noon temperature was 9 degrees F (with weather.com telling us it felt like -15!). For me personally, if I am going to make a brave trek even somewhere close in weather like that I will forget the fashion effort and bust out the "michelin man" north face.

And this coming from someone who has lived in Boston her whole life. Haha.

11-02-2007
rising star

So who wants to bring a sense of street style to Boston with me? Hah.

Boston isn't so bad. I actually enjoy it. I recently went to NYC and I was actually a little disappointed. I expected to see a lot of really nice looking people or I'm not even sure. Something exciting or unique. But sadly I saw nothing that I couldn't find in Boston. Maybe it's because I was in a more touristy place. I don't know. But I was surprised. I was in Times Square and on 42nd and 5th and 7th and Central Park and everything I saw was something I could have found on Newbury or Boylston or Downtown Crossing or, dare I say, West Roxbury late at night. [I enjoy Roxbury and Jamaica Plain jokes.]

But also Boston is getting better. Well, for women moreso than men. You ladies have Intermix on Newbury. That store that I can simply not remember the name of in Copley near the Westin entrance I believe that sells cute clothes by Chloe and other high end designers. There's a Dior ready-to-wear coming in. And lets just keep in mind that construction will begin around May, what I'm told by a manager, to make way for Louis Vuitton's ready-to-wear. So there's a lot that will be going on. Boston may not ever be as stylish as NY but hey. We can sure kick the hell out of some other cities.

Seriously... who wants to bring street style to Boston with me. Hah.

V.I.P.

pong, i think you mean grettaluxe.

wow, im surprised that LV is planning on selling RTW here...thanks for the tips.

11-02-2007
V.I.P.

Not sure is this old news, but there will be a Louis Vuitton boutique at the Natick Mall coming this September

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boston, street, style