How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-10-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylites View Post
Because there is basically no market for quality used clothes, there are no good ways for young people to get stylish garments at a low price. Of course there is plenty of tacky stuff and fakes at low prices.
A little confused at your rationale. So new clothes for cheap = unstylish? I would say China and Asian in general is known for its cheap BUT stylish clothing. I just don't think a lot of people in Beijing knew how to put it all together. Sure there is a lot of tacky stuff in the street markets but I think it just challenges people to depend on their OWN mind to dress themselves instead of like often back here, where you can essentially pick up an outfit ready to go off the rack from H&M, Zara, etc.

On that note....I find the growing vintage "trend" just as annoying as some of the cheesy outfits seen in China. Just because it came from Goodwill, doesn't make it stylish! A fugly mohair christmas sweater is still a fugly mohair christmas sweater!

09-10-2008
rising star

beijing

pic from p1.cn

rising star

show you some strange styling at ModernSky Festival in beijing

pics from p1.cn

V.I.P.

The military style is too undeveloped and so ends up being gimmicky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellesea View Post
A little confused at your rationale. So new clothes for cheap = unstylish? I would say China and Asian in general is known for its cheap BUT stylish clothing. I just don't think a lot of people in Beijing knew how to put it all together. Sure there is a lot of tacky stuff in the street markets but I think it just challenges people to depend on their OWN mind to dress themselves instead of like often back here, where you can essentially pick up an outfit ready to go off the rack from H&M, Zara, etc.
I agree with him....and you

The cheap shops can be fun to find some 'special' pieces but the quality is very very poor and usually horrid materials. Yes of course it challenges people who want to wear good and stylish clothes, but most quality stores are out of reach for young people and there are not enough good mid level stores like you can find in other Asian places/USA/Europe. Even if you can get to such places it's likely they are carrying last seasons stock.

To put together a good outfit with very cheap clothes (the kind available in China - I'm not talking London charity shops which have vintage designer pieces haha) you need to be a genious and make some crazy dior couture custom outfit.

The fact is most people look bad because it's too hard to find affordable clothes which are not tacky or poor quality.

11-10-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethii View Post
The military style is too undeveloped and so ends up being gimmicky.

I agree with him....and you

The cheap shops can be fun to find some 'special' pieces but the quality is very very poor and usually horrid materials. Yes of course it challenges people who want to wear good and stylish clothes, but most quality stores are out of reach for young people and there are not enough good mid level stores like you can find in other Asian places/USA/Europe. Even if you can get to such places it's likely they are carrying last seasons stock.

To put together a good outfit with very cheap clothes (the kind available in China - I'm not talking London charity shops which have vintage designer pieces haha) you need to be a genious and make some crazy dior couture custom outfit.

The fact is most people look bad because it's too hard to find affordable clothes which are not tacky or poor quality.
I agree with you! you can see more and more people buy clothes online( at some famous website,such as Ebay,taobao,etc.). But actually the things are not very good and lack in personality

windowshopping

http://stylites.net/blog2/wp-content...whiteshirt.jpg
those are hot MAXX!!
lol i havent yet been to shanghai but girls there are generally pretty

16-10-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by baguette View Post
I don't see much of style but do see a lot of fakes.
and can u giv anything to corroborate this subjective belief
fake/authentic merchandise aside, i dont entirely like the fashion but some of the girls r pretty

25-10-2008
rising star

beijing

rising star

rising star

pics fromhttp://www.p1.cn/magazine/index

Last edited by wangjc0784; 25-10-2008 at 05:07 AM. Reason: source of pics
25-10-2008
rising star

rising star

rising star

fashion icon

Is it just me, but most of the pics from http://p1.cn/magazine/index just seem to be of incredibly pretty girls (or at least incredibly thin girls) in very ordinary or just plain terrible outfits?

25-10-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicciolina View Post
Is it just me, but most of the pics from http://p1.cn/magazine/index just seem to be of incredibly pretty girls (or at least incredibly thin girls) in very ordinary or just plain terrible outfits?
Hehe...well, mine is clearly a one-sided perspective, but p1 is pretty much the bane of my existence. They plaster the city with photographers. Full-time p1 photographers outnumber stylish pedestrians in Beijing. The problem in China is often that good ideas get done to the extreme - everything must be made into a business. P1 throws manpower at street fashion photographer draining it of the fun and making it into a systematic and corporate-feeling project. Of course, I say that as a street photographer with only a blog and my own camera, so I could easily be accused of sour grapes. I was doing this long before them though.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chinese, street, style