How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-03-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
Drowned and the other Northern girl, give yourselves a break! It is veeery difficult to be fashionable and glamorous when its cold!
Haha cold does wonders for the couth, it's just that bloody wind that ruins everything.

12-03-2005
ingenue

Quote:
Drowned and the other Northern girl, give yourselves a break! It is veeery difficult to be fashionable and glamorous when its cold!
another northern european resident who completely agrees. here even if you have an adorable, creative outfit on, you have to cover it up with a big coat and scarf. yay for spring coming! (and hot summers in america)

12-03-2005
front row

i am a londoner, living in the center of copenhagen and i think that people dress really well here despite the cold. Danish girls know how to do the scarves and lovely boots and coats (and they are quite gorgeous too). everytime i pop out, i see some styley people and think "i need to get a better digital camera so i can post some pics on tfs".

but it is a homogenous 'copenhagen' look and there is definitely more diversity in london. when i go back home, i look around and drink it all in as inspiration; different people, different styles, more madness . . .

13-03-2005
scenester

ohmy, i love all of the pictures you posted, Luxmode!

About the fashion in Prague; Seriously, approximately 90% of the people you see on the street are tourists. So the street fashion i saw mostly contained baseball caps, white trainers and Tshirts. The few Pragueians you see in the city are either working in restaurants or as tourist guides, wearing uniforms. (I'm half Czech and therefore going to Prague quite often) Oh, and to eliminate a clichee, Prague isn't poor!

13-03-2005
front row

Why do you have to dress like a tourist when you are a tourist? That question I ask myself so often. And to dress like a tourist means to dress horribly bad, and to spoil everyone's photos of beautiful places with your ugly clothes. You can dress very comfortably without losing any style, you know! Bin those white sneakers immediately!

13-03-2005
scenester

agreed absolutely!!
it's a mystery

13-03-2005
front row

I think Americans are the worst dressed tourists. Whenever I am on vacation I can usually tell where people are from by how they are dressed, its kind of funny! I think Germans and French are the best dressed.

13-03-2005
front row

Well, maybe they're not all tourists, and maybe some of the people you think are local are actually tourists. They can't all dress the same. Although saying that, I live in what is apparently the most visited town in England, and a lot of the tourists are quite obvious, mostly the French schoolchildren.

13-03-2005
spoilt victorian child

Quote:
Originally Posted by A la mode
I think Americans are the worst dressed tourists.
No contest. For reasons which continue to elude me, Americans over the last 20 years have developed the most spectacularly ugly "I'm on vacation!" dress code imaginable (My parents are loyal adherents, sadly). Next time you see someone decked out in white trainers, khaki shorts, and fanny pack in your pictureque town, you can rest assured that it's an American tourist.

13-03-2005
front row

I think that by dressing like a tourist (at least in Europe) you are only drawing attention to yourself. You will be mugged easier and will pay more expensive prices than the rest. AND you will spoil the landscape.

I refuse to believe that you need a baseball cap at all. Your sneakers can be replaced by comfortable Timberland/ Sebagos moccasins, loafers, whatever you call it, Tod's lookalikes. Instead of shorts, try loose cotton trousers. Pleeeease leave that monstrous backpack in the hotel, what the hell are you carrying in there anyway?

Sorry if I offend anyone, but I have seen American tourists in the Place Vendome of Paris dressed as if they were going to climb the Alps!

16-03-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoCalledPrep
please explain this skirt to me... i like it
Richmond made jeans some years ago (i think in 2001) with "RICH" written on the back, now, some years later, all teenagers wear them, and you buy them in the market together with DolceGabbana-stuff and Londsdale and other popular labels. The funny thing (that I read in an interview with one of theese kids) is that they dont even know what this "Rich" means, it doesnt really matter, but anyway, it would look cooler if they write "Poor" with the same letters..:p

16-03-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardine
ohmy, i love all of the pictures you posted, Luxmode!

About the fashion in Prague; Seriously, approximately 90% of the people you see on the street are tourists. So the street fashion i saw mostly contained baseball caps, white trainers and Tshirts. The few Pragueians you see in the city are either working in restaurants or as tourist guides, wearing uniforms. (I'm half Czech and therefore going to Prague quite often) Oh, and to eliminate a clichee, Prague isn't poor!
^^What I was trying to say was that a lot of ex. communist countries in the eastern europe are getting RICHER..And a part of the money Prague is a city rich of everything: culture!

16-03-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Why do you have to dress like a tourist when you are a tourist? That question I ask myself so often. And to dress like a tourist means to dress horribly bad, and to spoil everyone's photos of beautiful places with your ugly clothes. You can dress very comfortably without losing any style, you know! Bin those white sneakers immediately!
I think the tourists dress that way even when they are in their own countries, no?

16-03-2005
spoilt victorian child

Quote:
Originally Posted by emi25
I think the tourists dress that way even when they are in their own countries, no?
Actually, I don't think they do...there's a warped logic behind it. Many Americans, when on holiday in a city well-stocked with historical points of interest like Rome or Paris, spend their entire stay rushing from monument to monument at a dead run, in an frantic attempt to imbibe as much culture as possible during daylight hours. So they dress in what they deem appropriate garb, i.e. nonrestrictive utility clothing. Hence the "climbing the Alps" look that shadow was talking about.

Last edited by droogist; 16-03-2005 at 04:11 PM.
17-03-2005
backstage pass

European style is all about mixing truly personalyzed accessories and attitude with classics. And FIT!! Nothing is baggy, only if it's supposed to be.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, european, guidelines, post, posting, reading, requires, street, style