How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-01-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by helena
I have this coat!!!! It was from Zara last winter.....I love it its sooo chic.
LUCKY!!!

Any idea where I can find something similar?

02-01-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
i thought your description of the jacket was wonderful and thank you for the info about berlin...

you don't need a picture to participate...(although they are much appreciated)
i think both of your posts were very interesting and thoughtful....

good to have you aboard...and thank you very much for the compliment...very flattered...
Thank you Softgrey, and i will continue to keep in touch with TFS - all the best to you in the New Year.

04-01-2005
PopWillEatItself

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezbatik
Thank you Softgrey - I have been enjoying your postings daily since I registered .

Well, I thought my faux-pas may have lay where I did not have a picture to post - I just really wanted to express my deep fondness for that jacket I saw. I'm glad I didn't ruffle any feathers.

Anyhow, Zoo Station is the main train hub in central Berlin, and I believe just east of that immediate area was where I made some pretty incredible finds - I was there for only 5 days, so I'm sure there were probably more covert and interesting areas to shop around in - here I found most of the high-ends. I saw some beautifully dressed women/men though. Berlin really blew me away - VERY cool city. As a Toronto girl, I find sometimes I am stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to finding things in my own city that really inspire me (in my own personal style)...there are a few exceptions - but spending time in, Barcelona, Athens, Vienna, Antwerp, Prague, Paris, Rome (the list goes on); I am forever indebted to the things I learned from each one.
The reason I quote this is because I feel somehow the same way with you...

Don't you feel as if we've been seeing the same fashion looks year after year for the last 3-4 years? If your main source of inspiration is magazines.... you're stuck!

I feel the need for something new, wearable, stylish but not too hard-trying.... the only thing I get to see are either uggs, mukluks, boots over trousers and jeans.... so many jeans.... and vintage... I came to dislike it..... and I hate that ladylike look that is of fashion this season.... it looks so pretentious.... who wants to be a lady anyway?

I've been studying all the street photos poosted here and although I can really appreciate some of the styles shown there, as well as the creativity shown by some of the people, I find disturbing the fact that everyone seems to be dressed to impress... as if they woke up thinking "what should I wear in case someone takes my picture...?" I would like to see people who do not seem to copy anyone else or any trend... where are the trend setters nowadays? Everyone seems to be influenced by the same bunch of 5 people....

I feel that the designers do not help with fashion trend-setting anymore because they seem to copy celebrities as well... or even worse... they constantly copy fashion of previous decades.... where is the new stuff.... how much more will we be seeing hippies and mods and things like these on the catwalks... what will be the fashion to define OUR generation.... copycats?

Last edited by melt977; 04-01-2005 at 03:13 AM.
07-01-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by melt977
The reason I quote this is because I feel somehow the same way with you...

Don't you feel as if we've been seeing the same fashion looks year after year for the last 3-4 years? If your main source of inspiration is magazines.... you're stuck!

I feel the need for something new, wearable, stylish but not too hard-trying.... the only thing I get to see are either uggs, mukluks, boots over trousers and jeans.... so many jeans.... and vintage... I came to dislike it..... and I hate that ladylike look that is of fashion this season.... it looks so pretentious.... who wants to be a lady anyway?

I've been studying all the street photos poosted here and although I can really appreciate some of the styles shown there, as well as the creativity shown by some of the people, I find disturbing the fact that everyone seems to be dressed to impress... as if they woke up thinking "what should I wear in case someone takes my picture...?" I would like to see people who do not seem to copy anyone else or any trend... where are the trend setters nowadays? Everyone seems to be influenced by the same bunch of 5 people....

I feel that the designers do not help with fashion trend-setting anymore because they seem to copy celebrities as well... or even worse... they constantly copy fashion of previous decades.... where is the new stuff.... how much more will we be seeing hippies and mods and things like these on the catwalks... what will be the fashion to define OUR generation.... copycats?
Sadly, you have very accurately described the current state of things. Even though it's natural to dress to impress or try to look cool, people are not drawing inspiration from their own experiences, character, personalities, tastes, etc....but are rather dictated by a cluster of editors and designers who in turn are ripping off the looks from the streets. Hence streetstyle= everyone looking like a hipster, whatever that was supposed to be. I guess this is not a new phenomenon, but thanks for the wake-up call, Melt.

So she's pulling out the pin

- Elvis Costello
07-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradaesk
It's famous for great Coffeeshops, Waltzer, Mozart, Apfelstrudel, Wiener Schnitzel, St. Stephan's Cathedral, Riesenrad, Schönbrunn, Fiaker, Gustav Klimt, Sigmund Freud - in one word: VIENNA.

sorry for answering that late, I just missed it
I Vienna!

07-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezbatik
Thank you Softgrey - I have been enjoying your postings daily since I registered .

Well, I thought my faux-pas may have lay where I did not have a picture to post - I just really wanted to express my deep fondness for that jacket I saw. I'm glad I didn't ruffle any feathers.

Anyhow, Zoo Station is the main train hub in central Berlin, and I believe just east of that immediate area was where I made some pretty incredible finds - I was there for only 5 days, so I'm sure there were probably more covert and interesting areas to shop around in - here I found most of the high-ends. I saw some beautifully dressed women/men though. Berlin really blew me away - VERY cool city. As a Toronto girl, I find sometimes I am stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to finding things in my own city that really inspire me (in my own personal style)...there are a few exceptions - but spending time in, Barcelona, Athens, Vienna, Antwerp, Prague, Paris, Rome (the list goes on); I am forever indebted to the things I learned from each one.
It's always good to hear another rave about Berlin. I'm thinking of going there in May.

07-01-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
I Vienna!
me too (but I also NYC)

07-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradaesk
me too (but I also NYC)
I wanted to go back there with my wife, but now we're thinking Berlin

08-01-2005
front row

^ really funny my bf finally came back from berlin to vienna and says that vienna is such a better place to live lol
are you originaly fom vienna faust?

back to topic: funny you call our generation copycats cause 100 years ago at the turn of the century it was similar, fashion and applied arts started copying or were 'insipred' by former decades...

14-01-2005
about to fall or fly

i love this though i'd probably change the scarf, and maybe a different skirt, but totally something i'd wear

this too, but instead of purple, maybe red or a simple pattern. that woman looks too much like celine dion though, she's scaring me! and i'd totally lose that butterfly bracelet.

16-01-2005
I loved you

I think the Italian style fits into the European style thread
hope that helps!

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ad.php?t=11849

16-01-2005
ingenue

thanks breathoxygen - I merged the threads...

17-01-2005
desire, undefined

i'm dying for more pictures, i really enjoy watching them. i'm considering taking some pictures myself under cover as photographer for some chic magazine

18-01-2005
backstage pass

Girls from Berlin have awesome style .... I also like clothes which are worn by Italians.

18-01-2005
front row

how funny - the first girls in the Copenhagen piccies are my friends! Its a small world here.

They own a vintage clothing shop called Glam, that I work in sometimes, just for the clothes!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, european, guidelines, post, posting, reading, requires, street, style