How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-08-2006
dsq
backstage pass

nice pics

07-10-2006
windowshopping

yeah i totally agree w Mink

rising star

I am wondering...what do these people do besides partying and drinking?
Their style is ok, not special at all and i ....hmm....got the idea that they think of theirselves that they are very special and cool. Irritates me a little... i don't know why actually.

08-10-2006
V.I.P.

can somebody, please, tell me what's the difference between hipster and scenesters ?

08-10-2006
windowshopping

they just look poor and brooklyn-esque.

08-10-2006
PopWillEatItself

^ I'm afraid I don't get the difference between the hipsters and scenester either....

someone said something about hippies and disco.... does it stand? or is it just the interpretation of the tFSer???

Is there an official definition that explains and separates the two?

Because I don't see much difference... neither in their style nor the terms used to describe them....

08-10-2006
V.I.P.

I also don't see the difference. That;'s why I asked

08-10-2006
PopWillEatItself

^ let's just hope that smeone will come up with a clarifying answer...

08-10-2006
PopWillEatItself

Are the scenesters more glamorous club kids?

08-10-2006
front row

as an unbiased individual, who is new to 'scensters' and 'hipsters,' i must say i can note a difference in the style, scenesters seem far more fashion lead, whereas hipsters just seem to dress like everyone i pass in the streets of manchester on a daily basis. the only thing they have in common is the same self-affected mid distance stoner look that makes them look so 'cool.' hmmm...

08-10-2006
PopWillEatItself

I think I know what you mean, especially once you mentionned manchester.... would the hipsters be called indie in Britain?

And does anyone know why hipsters are called hipsters and scenesters well, scenesters? Is there any difference in the music kind of music they listen to?

Sorry for so many questions... just trying to understand...

08-10-2006
V.I.P.

I always thought as the hipsters reconncting them to the indie kids not the scenester.. sure there also are indie scenteser but... I'm getting confused!

08-10-2006
PopWillEatItself

^ That's what I said I thought too...

08-10-2006
V.I.P.

In fact I agree with you

08-10-2006
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojimbo
hipsters are like the hippies of now, and scenesters are like the people of disco era.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninins
My definition of a hipster is someone with a great sense of effortless style and esoteric intrests (extremely into their music, art, and other non-mainstream things), also, hipsters usually hate and talk crap about other "hipsters/scenesters" which is a MAJOR characteristic of a hipster. Where as a scenester does not necessarily have esoteric intrests, they just have to party alot and dress like whatever other party-goers are dressed like, have a somewhat groupie quailty to them, i think scenester I think of the hollywood party scene, lindsay lohan in my opinion is becoming a scenster. The blurred defintion of both is caused by the two appearing simultaneously on websites like "thecobrasnake". Hipsters would beat themselves up for being on a website like that.
I think these two posts are good definitions between a hipster and a scenester. Another distinction is that I've noticed scenesters like hip hop music and tend to wear athletic wear (Adidas jackets, sweatbands, gold chains, etc.). Hipsters are more into folk music and psych rock.

Hipsters are generally somehow involved in the liberal arts -- painters, writers, musicians, etc. Personally, I view hipsters as more "authentic" than scenesters because they (generally) tend to be more genuinely passionate about art and culture. That said, hipsters are waaay more pretentious.

I think indie kids fall somewhere between the two.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hipster, street, style