How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-11-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by maraschin0 View Post
Hm, I personally don't like the teen street-style in Hong Kong. (I'm from HK too)
For younger guys, they tend to follow brands like BAPE, etc, and some are really into Japanese trends like number(n)ine, martin margiela, etc.
For girls...Alot of the younger ones just dress like the guys too :S And wear tshirts and just baggy jeans and sneakers.

However, I like the way this HK model dresses though, very appropriate for her age and not as typical as many HK youths. Her style is cute
i've never liked the so called hk street style either. people, young and old, buy follows the trends from Japan and TW way too much.

and i'm also fed up with seeing so many monogram bags on the streets.

27-11-2008
windowshopping

isn't she the celebrity from Taiwan??

02-12-2008
scenester

pics all from http://hkism.com/
guys dominated lol

13-12-2008
windowshopping

I'm originally from HK, and I used to find HK streetstyle really boring. But these last two years, whenever I'm back at home for the summer and winter, I've began to appreciate HK streetstyle. It's usually a lot of hit or miss, and while they do draw inspiration from Japanese and Korean streetstyle, they keep things a lot simpler. And, they, both guys and girls love to pair baggy shirts with skinny jeans.

tfs star

Here are some HK Street Style photos I took from my recent HK trip:

03-01-2009
rising star

I don't like that younger-Japanese style. In Mong Kok, almost 6 out of 10 girls wear skirt and leggings (okay it might be a little bit exaggerated... 4 out of 10 maybe) And many teenagers obsessed with the Japanese style but they've forgotten to mix their own style in it.

03-01-2009
rising star

I think it's hard for HongKongers to have their own style...we don't have very outstanding local designers,we don't have many local brands!It is hard to find a local brand store in shopping malls,all we can buy are brands from US,UK,Europe,Japan...How can we mix our own style
I think the height of hongkongers has limited their style too(most female are just 5"5,male 5"7).Beijing or Shanghai people are averagely taller then HKers,they can manage to wear wider range of styles

03-01-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_na912 View Post
I think it's hard for HongKongers to have their own style...we don't have very outstanding local designers,we don't have many local brands!It is hard to find a local brand store in shopping malls,all we can buy are brands from US,UK,Europe,Japan...How can we mix our own style
I think the height of hongkongers has limited their style too(most female are just 5"5,male 5"7).Beijing or Shanghai people are averagely taller then HKers,they can manage to wear wider range of styles
true, but having your own style doesn't really mean having clothes from local designers, does it?
and about the height thing, i'm so lucky to be above 6ft :p

03-01-2009
fashion elite

^lucky you!!

somehow i found Girls/ Boys in the street (mostly in Mong KOK)are almost like a clone version of each other. Starting from the hair/ make-up/clothes/ shoes... they are just sooo similar to each other. they are waaaaay to into that "Kawaii" Japanese/ Taiwan-thing.... *sigh

03-01-2009
V.I.P.

^^^ I really like the girl's/ guy's (?? :p) outfit in front of the Ikea-wall.

tfs star

Quote:
Well, I don't believe that height can be a major problem to develope an outstanding style. Take a look at the Japanese Streetstyle, it might be not everybody's taste but there are some outstanding outfits and I don't think that Japanese are much taller than people from Hong Kong.I know several smaller people with a wonderful sense of style and they are probably smaller than the height you mentioned.

tfs star

Quote:
While this is true, I do come across some small shops in Hong Kong that sell special clothings in places like Tin Hau, North Point. But I don't see many people shopping in those areas than in the big malls in Causeway Bay/Tsim Sha Tsui.

Just like most of the people in this thread, I've never liked Hong Kong street style. Street fashion here is more of trends and brands rather than style. I see so many clones on the streets, I can seldom find people who are indifferent to famous brands and can integrate trendy items into their own style without looking like they are copying from the magazines. Teenagers are VERY much into designers like agnes b, Vivienne Westwood, Porter and Gucci. You can see that clearly in some local fashion forums, people only ask about those brands, nothing else.

I guess one of the reason is that we get SO MUCH influence from Japan/Taiwan. God knows how many young people worship Japanese/Taiwanese pop idols! And when one person try to dress in the "cool" Japanese style, others follow.

Haha enough ranting from me. :p Not that Hong Kong street style is 100% bad for me, I do see some stylish people, but I'm just REALLY annoyed by my friends who would spend every penny on hit items.

rising star

I agree with you, HSantorini. My friends thought Porter and Agnes B are already big brands...

06-01-2009
scenester

more pics from hkism.com

06-01-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenya View Post
I agree with you, HSantorini. My friends thought Porter and Agnes B are already big brands...
well i mean the thing about agnes b is that it is just about affordable for most teenagers (and grown up for that matters)
and they do have some pretty good stuff.
and what just came to my mind is the colour of agnes b's stuff, they are mostly black, or dark tone, so it's easy to mix and match with your other clothes.
that's probably why it is so popular. I had a frd whom i went to paris with over the summer and he went absolutely nuts when he saw the agnes b store on sale...

about gucci and prada and louis vuitton, well, they all just buy them because everyone has them, i never go anywhere without seeing at least 6 in 10 people wearing a monogram bag.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hong, kong, streetstyle