How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-12-2009
front row

^^why r they wearing hats....it's 60+ degree there...

02-12-2009
trendsetter

thats how it is in Hong Kong at this time of year. When it gets down to like 15 degrees, its like winter for them, coats, boots and all !

backstage pass

I liked reading the mixed feelings posted here about HK streetstyle. My personal opinion is that in HK, I agree that theres not really a 'personal' style, but rather a mad mix of everything from Europe and other countries in Asia,most esp. Japan and Korea. But in HK, I don't think it's really that surprising. There are so many designer brands from all over the world which have opened up shop in HK or are purchasable there, and of course, if the clothes are there, and people can afford it, they're going to buy it if they like it and they can!

My family comes from HK and we usually go back at least once every 2 years. There was a time where we didn't go back for a few years because of my siblings and I sitting big exams..(round about my awkward teen years) and it was also during that time I found out about tfs and my knowledge of fashion and designers exponentially grew Upon going back to HK at the beginning of this year, all of a sudden, the words like 'Lane Crawford' & 'Lanvin' meant something (yes, my knowledge was that poor), and I realised that it is really hard to find the range obtainable in HK than it is here in Australia. For the first time, I saw shoes and clothes from runways... for us to be selling handbags here...it's pretty big. Also, you know you're something special when Chanel starts it's Mobile Art Museum off with you. Sorry I'm totally off topic

With what TeeKay said, it does seem to be true that people are ostentatious/try to show off their 'wealth' by carrying the obvious LV, Gucci bags on their arms... I'm sure some of them really are wealthy, but more of the time it's the truly wealthy people (who aren't celebrities) who don't feel he need to show off that they really do have. Like sweetcandylove has said, monogrammed bags are seen left, right and center, it's almost as if they're purchased as easily from a convenience store O_o The monogrammed bag is so 'must have' over there, walking down a street, after a while I wasn't surprised to the same LV bag on a woman's passing me consecutively. It also shocks me how people need to line up to go into Gucci and whatnot..it's as if the shop's passing out free vegetables or something and money is not an issue! O_o

The overly cute clothes and the poses/the way they stand for a photo that some young Asian adults like to strike irks me a bit too.. I prefer the stand up straight with your head held high! pose But I have to admit that some girls somehow manage to make it work, whereas if I tried it on, I'd feel stupid and most likely look more stupid that I already do T.T

One of the biggest differences I noticed after not being back to HK for some time, was the difference in the way young adults dress here and over in HK. In HK, a lot of kids have a more smart casual style, very rarely do you seem them out in flip flops with tracksuit pants as you so often see here I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with feeling comfortable, and sometimes trackpants and flip flops are great when you're just out to buy something quick, but you can look nice and be comfortable as well, with say, a pair of nice jeans and sneakers right when you plan to go out right?

Agnes B is popular in HK, and I like it too, more so because going to HK is the only time I have the opportunity to step into a shop and take a look at what they have

03-12-2009
on the come up

I think the thing with Asian style is people tend to get the colors and the proportions wrong, like they would put on great pieces that look good on their own but just won't do it for the body.

04-12-2009
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneping View Post
^^why r they wearing hats....it's 60+ degree there...
I know it seems absurd to wear hat and blazer in 60+ degree in the states.

I studied high school in HK. and my school uniform is those traditional British uniform...we got a thick thick thick school blazer for the winter. And our principle asked/force us to wear it when it is 15c...it is like 59~60f. I dont think it is necessary and kind of like how you think now. So i complain it to my mother.... shes just rolling her eye and say : IT IS 15C! AREN'T YOU COLD??

I mean ....the way that most of the hker feel about temperature is quite different..now i live in the state, and i love when it is 60f. its not "cold" at all

05-12-2009
fashion elite

I have to defend Hkers here... as temperature NEVER fall below 0 in winter and rarely fall below 10 here.. 15C is pretty cold to us already.(plus the wind is pretty chilly in winter)

that's y we got to wear thick clothes even it's like 15C (not in my case though.. )

06-12-2009
trendsetter

Very stylish guy ! via Simplement Fashion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg street_dec2_01.jpg (358.4 KB, 13 views)

on the come up

thanks! who is he? looks like he's at some function.
at first I thought he was wearing ballet flats haha.

11-12-2009
trendsetter

I took this picture next to a gigantic market for retail/wholesale clothing and accessories. His shoes were really special !

trendsetter

One last picture from my trip ! via Simplement Fashion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg street_dec4_01.jpg (352.1 KB, 15 views)

V.I.P.

^ I really like your pics, thanks for sharing them

trendsetter

Nice, thank you PinkAnik.

18-12-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by tung View Post
I know it seems absurd to wear hat and blazer in 60+ degree in the states.

I studied high school in HK. and my school uniform is those traditional British uniform...we got a thick thick thick school blazer for the winter. And our principle asked/force us to wear it when it is 15c...it is like 59~60f. I dont think it is necessary and kind of like how you think now. So i complain it to my mother.... shes just rolling her eye and say : IT IS 15C! AREN'T YOU COLD??

I mean ....the way that most of the hker feel about temperature is quite different..now i live in the state, and i love when it is 60f. its not "cold" at all
i grew up in HK..and the weather now compare to 20 years ago is so different. god i am old. the weather now is so much warmer than before...only 2 months are really cold and the rest of the year is just hot and humid.
i miss my uniform...

14-01-2010
rising star

style-tips.com

rising star

all from style-tips.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hong, kong, streetstyle