How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-04-2005
front row

Pictures of Italian street style from an Estonian site:
http://femme.ee/moekas/femme_tanaval/795
The article also states the writers dissappointment for the lack of uber stylish Italians.

21-04-2005
front row

Nice pics emi from Roma...brought back many memories. I still remember when some summers ago all the stores were selling huge beaded necklaces and accesories lol

22-04-2005
V.I.P.

Nice link, Crazy_K. i love how just about everyone rides bikes no matter what they're wearing

front row

Aww, how cute! I want to live in a place where people ride bikes! The air must be much cleaner!

30-08-2005
windowshopping

Italian Street Style
So I am going to Italy, the fashion capitol of the world!!! this winter and I was wondering if anyone else has been to Italy lately? What is hot over there right now?

I'd really like to blend in as much as possible or as much as possible being light skinned, blue eyed with blonde hair!

I've heard that one can easily be spotted as an American tourist by donning white sneakers (which I never wear anyway, so OK, I'm good to go here), jeans- other than very dark indigo wash or black, or tees with words on them (does this mean I can't wear my "this is my party shirt" top ? :p

I know I can't go wrong with my Coach Sharma or Andi boots at night but I'll most definitely twist my ankle touring on foot through Rome's cobblestone streets during the day! What about my classic tall sand Uggs (gasp!)? Are Uggs a complete joke over there? Should I spare myself the embaressment? I still wear them here (in Boston) and I really don't care if they are in or out but in Italy, I don't want to stand tooooo much.

If anyone has any Italy experiences/stories, I'd love to hear them!

Lipgloss Kisses,

Dior Addict

31-08-2005
front row

Just DONT wear Ecco or Mephisto shoes, you will look more american than if you wore white sneakes.

03-09-2005
windowshopping

Hey there,

In Rome the style depends very much on your age. Most under-25s dress very street - lots of ripped and faded denim, the girls wear t-shirts mostly, 80s style if anything. Think Miss Sixty adverts. Sneakers are perfectly OK - the best are Converse or Pumas etc. And at night there's a big mix of dressed up and down - again, jeans and sneakers are fine, or else crazily short skirts and stiletto boots.
Women from the age of 30 and on tend to be the complete opposite - Roman women have mastered the art of wearing stilettos all the time (you just have to keep your weight forward, like walking on tiptoes, or else the cobblestones destroy your heels), and also go in for smart trousers and tops, smart skirts, full make-up. Always wear huge sunglasses! And there are a lot of tourists in Rome at this time of year. The Americans/British stand out, either because they're badly dressed or, just as often, because they're dressed in a much more feminine way, in 50s skirts etc. Also, don't wear flip flops in the city, and always wear a jacket, even if it's warm.
Have fun!

05-09-2005
windowshopping

if youre going to milona then, sorry theres close to no hope. its really hard to keep up with whats going on there. plus you have to be an ultra millionaire to buy anything.
we are there (milano) right now and the best thing that we found, that we can afford, is H&M.
But wait there is hope! if you go to a hotel then the will most likely fill you in on outlets that are around your area.
good luck!

05-09-2005
Eat me, drink me

Arg! How lucky are you! I went to Italy real early in the year, when it was very cold. I don't remember seeing anyone in Uggs over there. They do like the technica moonboots when it snows, though. And I remember parkas on the younger girls.

08-09-2005
GCc
rising star

italians are such fashion victims! italian fashion is totally outrageous and over-the-top. look out for ripped off jeans, flashy colors, big logos and inscriptions onshirts (DOLCE GABANA, GUCCI,etc) and most importantly, the big-azz designer sunglasses. EVERY italian has at least 1 pair.

Like shadow said, italian fashion is like what you see on miss sixty adds.

A thing that is really in at the moment in italy are big baggy jeans for women with a nice small feminine top. not everyone can pull that off, but when they do, its HOT.

also, skinny jeans are hot at the mo and have been forever in italy.

ive lived in italy for a while so ya, i have lots of quirky little anecdotes...

09-09-2005
windowshopping

Thanks for all the suggesstions.

I'm going in March (I know, I know, months away!) but a girl can never start planning and packing too early!

I hear the temp ranges anywhere from 38-69 degrees in Italy during March so that should be an interesting array of clothing that will be in my suitcase.

I carry my Louis Papillon everywhere as my daily handbag but I was actually told by someone who recently got back from Italy that I "shouldn't bring that" as it's not a good idea to carry expensive handbags around Rome as pickpocketing is prevelent and people will cut them right off you! Has anyone else heard of this? Or carried their higher-end handbags in Rome without any problems???

09-09-2005
windowshopping

yup,my dear.a friend of mine was busy trying on high heels in Rome and when she turned round to leave her h/bag is gone...and the worst thing was that her passport is in there.

front row

[QUOTE=GCc]italians are such fashion victims! italian fashion is totally outrageous and over-the-top. look out for ripped off jeans, flashy colors, big logos and inscriptions onshirts (DOLCE GABANA, GUCCI,etc) and most importantly, the big-azz designer sunglasses. EVERY italian has at least 1 pair.

It is logical that Italians are fashion victims! They nearly invented the pret-a-porter industry themselves! Valentino has shops in the most provincial towns, the average italian grows up looking at designer items (clothes, kitchens, lighting, furniture, jewellery, you name it) No need to buy expensive foreign magazines or to travel to other countries, like many of us ! And they do have an extra gene for anything related to art, aesthetics, elegance and flair. And the pressure from your environment is great, no one will understand you for not trying (at least trying) to make bella figura.

09-09-2005
GCc
rising star

shadow,
ya, totally.
every teeny tiny provincial town has at least a miss sixty, a diesel and a max mara store. it's mind-boggling. over here, in a small - or even a big - provincial town, you find absolutely NO BRANDS. in italy - especially in the north, the south is more rural and poor, less sophisticated - children grow up knowing every designer.

have you lived in italy? perché parli italiano, giusto

10-09-2005
front row

Ho studiato la lingua all'università...molti anni fà.

By the way, going back to the subject of pickpockets, well they exist in every city where there is tourism...and the pickpockets can spot the tourists a mile away. They are easy preys because tourists are by definition relaxing, sightseeing, looking at monuments. Whereas the locals carry just as expensive handbags but are much more alert and awake.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
italian, street, style