How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-11-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
... if you live here long enough you can totally pick out the 'korean' style and a style that is not so korean. It becomes almost obvious...
Isn't this a good thing? If I visit another country, I'd prefer to see something different and not what I see back home every day.
So trends or not, matching or mismatching, if it is characterisic, I say good for them. To some it may look ugly, to others - not.
Go Koreans!

05-11-2007
backstage pass

^ to appreciate style differences in different countries is one thing but to say that "koreans dress better than new yorkers" is another. and also there is a difference between appreciating the different styles purely because they're different, and appreciating the different styles because it's fashionable/new/fresh/stylish/original etc. i personally don't think that the 'korean style' deserves any applause right now.

you know how when you come across an outfit, whether it be in a magazine or on a person or in a store, that just looks SO great in its use of colour/coordination/proportion etc or combination of all elements, that you just can't tear your eyes away from it and you can just sit there and stare at it for like 5 minutes straight? ....i didn't see ONE outfit posted above that gave me that feeling.

05-11-2007
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargain Queen View Post
Korean fashion's come a long way since those 10 years you've been in Seoul. It's come a long way since 2004 which was the last time I was here. It's something called 'change'.
so you agree w/ my post above P.S, right? (since you just cut out all of 'em) and I visit there in a regular basis. I'm current. yeah, Korean fashion evolved, so did the REST of freakin' THE WORLD. so at the end, they are still in the same place. sorry but it's something called 'reality'.

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerique View Post
Isn't this a good thing? If I visit another country, I'd prefer to see something different and not what I see back home every day.
So trends or not, matching or mismatching, if it is characterisic, I say good for them. To some it may look ugly, to others - not.
Go Koreans!
you are completely misunderstanding here. it's not like 'oh I think they are koreans'. no no no.

it's that 'well, there goes another Korean in a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt", 'there goes another Korean wearing designer brand, usually Gucci and Prada, from head to toe, top to bottom, inside and out'.

when RebelYell was talking about Koreans following trend, she didn't mean by dressing in similar "style". but she was talking about CLONING - same jacket, same brand, same hair, same shoes, same eyeglasses, same everything. you have to be in it to see it really.

next time you see an Asian person in anything Ralph Lauren Polo (jacket, dress shirt, t-shirt doesn't matter), go ask where's he/she from. 9 out of 10, it's Korean. (am I lying?) this is what she meant by "easy to pick out". so predictable it's not even funny. it's sickening actually. sad but true.

Last edited by DamonD; 05-11-2007 at 08:44 PM.
05-11-2007
front row

^I never even thought about the RL polo shirt being distinctly Korean...

All of those pictures are actually above what I saw when I was in Korea two summers ago. Everyone just looks like clones of Japanese inspired outfits but way more toned down than Hong Kong. It was really surreal too because althought being asian I couldn't tell anyone apart. They all dressed so similiar to one and other.

check out www.yourboyhood.com definitely something you don't see a lot of.

05-11-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonD View Post
I'm sorry but I had to laugh at what you saying. let's get the fact straight - Koreans all fantasize and dream about being New Yorker. lol. (tell me if I'm lying) and they are pretty much all copycatting Japanese style. please admit.

yeah they sure care about their appearance more than anybody (#1 plastic surgery country in the world), not just new yorkers, but bottom line, they don't look better than new yorkers IMO. if you talking about "effort" yeah, they are obsessed! to the point where they look so insecure. and as a result, they all look the same.

and those photos are, I guess, the best of best Korean fashion, maybe? Koreans you see on street are still into clothing that has huge designer brand logo on chest/back. you know what I'm talking about.

you like Korean fashion? cool. I don't think anyone has problem w/ that. but please don't try to talk smack or bring down other city style (New York, Tokyo, Paris wherever). cause you're just making fool out of yourself.

p.s) in case you wondering, I lived in Seoul for 10 years/San Francisco for 10 years/New York for 5 years.
being a korean, whose lived in both seoul and the states, the statement you've made are down right offensive.

1. korea is #27, in the list of countries with most plastic surgery procedures per capita. that is a far cry from the '#1' you've stated. the u.s, hong kong, swizterland (#1), and japan are all above korea on the list.

2. koreans don't all want to be new yorkers, and i have no idea what you've based that on.

3. koreans for the most part, do not try to imitate japanese street fashion. in most cases, koreans aren't huge fans of japan's street fashion. koreans tend to be more lightly dressed than other big asian cities. i'm not a huge fan of korean street fashion, but i would never go as far to criticize and malign a nation of people because someone on an internet forum decided to say that korean street fashion is better than new york street fashion.

05-11-2007
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTRLBY View Post
being a korean, whose lived in both seoul and the states, the statement you've made are down right offensive.

1. korea is #27, in the list of countries with most plastic surgery procedures per capita. that is a far cry from the '#1' you've stated. the u.s, hong kong, swizterland (#1), and japan are all above korea on the list.

2. koreans don't all want to be new yorkers, and i have no idea what you've based that on.

3. koreans for the most part, do not try to imitate japanese street fashion. in most cases, koreans aren't huge fans of japan's street fashion. koreans tend to be more lightly dressed than other big asian cities. i'm not a huge fan of korean street fashion, but i would never go as far to criticize and malign a nation of people because someone on an internet forum decided to say that korean street fashion is better than new york street fashion.
I'm sorry if you were offended. but facts are facts. koreans don't copycatting japanese fashion, oh really? how u gon explain all those pics then? and many ppl on this thread have seen Korean fashion by themselves. you know the famous saying

"you want the truth? you can't handle the truth!"

classic.

don't get me wrong here. Koreans are fabulous. especially those who are in fashion industry all over the states and Europe.... from Doo Ri Cha to Hye Park.... but we are talking about "Korean fashion in Korea" here.

Last edited by DamonD; 05-11-2007 at 09:20 PM.
05-11-2007
fashion insider

Honestly this thread makes me laugh, you know, it's fun to have 'Japanese street fashion' and all these other street fashion threads but, generally speaking, from my travels, people dress pretty much the same all over the world. There may be more of a DOMINANCE in some countries, for example gothloli in Japan, or goth in Camden Town, UK, but you'll find those styles all over the world.

What you're seeing in these photos is a biased view, the view of the photographer. The photographer will decide what fashion they deem interesting and will photograph it. It's not as black and white when you're living in these countries.

While it may have originated from a country, for example the CDG universe has influenced a whole generation of fashion, now it's not limited to the country of origin. The same for the more 'traditional' US brands, and the same for the european fashion houses. Fashion spreads.

06-11-2007
backstage pass

^ while i agree that you'll find a lot of the same looks all over the world, i think that different cities definitely have their own "looks" and ways of dressing. for instance i think that (right now), a lot of the girls in tokyo will be tanned, long hair and big pouffy curls, lots of makeup, short skirts/shorts with over the knee boots or socks and heels, flashy handbag and long glitzy nails. whereas girls in paris are really clean and chic, simple yet distinctive, more neutral etc. and then the korean look (that i've seen the most of anyway) consists of a polo, jeans, sneakers or kitten heels, a baseball cap, hair tied in a little bun, big hoop earrings.

11-11-2007
front row

lovely pics I visited Seoul for ten days in 2006 and left with 4 large travel bags lol- to each their own, and from my personal view i loved their style! waiting for more pix & thanks for the thread bargain queen

01-12-2007
backstage pass

?! Korean style and Japanese style are both 'Asian' but are distinctly different. They are definitely two different countries with different styles. You have to live amongst the countries in order to know it. Japan is a little more over-the-top, a little more daring/outrageous, more colourful, more 'innovative' designs somehow...Korea is a little more safe and pretty much conforms to trends all the time. Koreans prefer to be VERY classy and tasteful and more natural rather than going over the top..

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonD View Post
I'm sorry if you were offended. but facts are facts. koreans don't copycatting japanese fashion, oh really? how u gon explain all those pics then? and many ppl on this thread have seen Korean fashion by themselves. you know the famous saying

"you want the truth? you can't handle the truth!"

classic.

don't get me wrong here. Koreans are fabulous. especially those who are in fashion industry all over the states and Europe.... from Doo Ri Cha to Hye Park.... but we are talking about "Korean fashion in Korea" here.
no offense, but i honestly doubt that these are "facts", i mean honestly isn`t this your opinion? i think that korean style is completely different than the japanese's.
korean

(thelook)

japanese

(from the japanese street style forum)
you honestly think that these are the same?
btw i believe its doo ri chung not cha..

20-12-2007
windowshopping

so much hating in this thread.

http://www.yourboyhood.com/

has some cool korean fashion

all pics posted are from that site:

it's pretty much the same as any other "fashion forward" considered countries.

if you don't like the style don't whine about it, just get out.

23-12-2007
front row

go korea! koreans are trying their best to find their own fashion identity. back off!

25-12-2007
fashion icon

I think there is no "Japanese fashion" or "Korean fashion" style.
I feel like it can't be generalized this much, but correct me if i'm wrong.
Fashion lovers try to pick up fashion ideas from individual people, not from nations.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
korean, street, style