How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-04-2010
front row

That's right the most beautiful women...

25-04-2010
V.I.P.

i saw a young arabic guy, athletic build, wearing one of those floorlength shirts while in Doha and it was stunning imo

i think it's a pity that women are forced to wear a scarf, mostly because i think it must be horribly HOT underneath it.

28-04-2010
fashion icon

I really love seeing middle eastern fashion's, mainly because I think it is so facinating to see what women from a part of the world, so very different than my own are wearing. I must say, it seems to me that women in the middle east have great style, whether they are wearing a scarf or not!

04-05-2010
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_a_Licious View Post
i saw a young arabic guy, athletic build, wearing one of those floorlength shirts while in Doha and it was stunning imo

i think it's a pity that women are forced to wear a scarf, mostly because i think it must be horribly HOT underneath it.
Like a dish dash? All the locals in Dubai wear them, I was stunned by how clean they managed to keep them. They look great though.

I don't know if it's really fair to comment on women being forced to wear the scarf, a lot of the women are fine with wearing one or proud that they are that serious about their religion to wear it. Then again, while I was in the UAE I went to a local wedding and the dresses were like the MET gala or something

fashion icon

I have to agree with misspistol, not all women in the middle east are forced to wear a scarf, but many choose to because of religious, cultural or even fashion reasons. It isn't fair of us to critise about middle eastern women wearing a scarf, instead we need respect their choice to do so. Besides, I have seen many a fashionable women wearing a headscarf!

11-05-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
I have to agree with misspistol, not all women in the middle east are forced to wear a scarf, but many choose to because of religious, cultural or even fashion reasons. It isn't fair of us to critise about middle eastern women wearing a scarf, instead we need respect their choice to do so. Besides, I have seen many a fashionable women wearing a headscarf!
In Iran (see previous pages) it is mandatory to wear a headscarf; if there was not such a law, then I am sure many of the women would not wear the headscarf. It is the only country where one is required to wear a headscarf.

12-05-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_a_Licious View Post

I don't know about how women in the Middle East dress today, but it's not necessarily true that wearing more clothes makes you hotter. Desert people wear long, flowing clothes (sometimes in layers) that cover the whole body because it actually keeps them cooler than tight, skimpy clothing. Loose clothing allows air to circulate close to the skin, which means sweat will evaporate, and the layers help keep the hottest fabric off the body. The long head coverings were designed to keep the sun off the head and neck, preventing burns and helping prevent overheating.

After 5 hours in the sun, this person:

scatterlings.multiply.com

would be cooler than this person*:

kiwiblog.co.nz

* In the literal, temperature-related sense, not in the more-awesome-than-Daniel-Craig sense. No offense to the man on top whose picture I randomly found on the internet, but that would be ridiculous.

12-05-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Stylin View Post
i agree with couture tribe..wonder why there are no succesful high fashion models from there. Even the successful models in Dubai and Lebanon all have caucasian features
I'm SO bothered by this post . I hope it's all a misunderstanding.

12-05-2010
tfs star

I just don't know if it's fair for people that don't wear head scarves to assume that women who do would rather not. Iranian women don't all wear the scarf covering their hair, the only women I saw wearing them covering their entire hairline were the women in chadors and much older women.
Also, I agree with the magazines. I was quite surprised by the lack of Middle Eastern models, there were some in Emirates Woman but that was like, one shoot out of 4 issues. And there's a MASSIVE skin whitening market there, it's all a bit strange (well, coming from the land of fake tan).

tfs star

PS. Some of my pics from Iran, the younger women all seem to wear the scarves far back on their heads. The last one is at Qom, so it's Chador central.

Last edited by misspistol; 12-05-2010 at 04:13 AM.
12-05-2010
In Bloom

The Iranian women would never ever wear a headscarf unless they were forced to do it. Most of them hate it with a passion. My BF's family are Iranians, and his aunt came to visit us in DK. The first thing she did was take off the scarf and have a beer The Iranian women wear their headscarves so reluctantly, it's very obvious (doesn't cover the front bit of the hair, or the neck, or the chest area). But better wear it than go to prison I guess.

Most women in Iran are not religious, and I feel that their "government" is taking a huge piss on every woman who wants to wear the headscarf for religious reasons. It makes me so angry. Because I think choosing to wear the hijab is a beautiful thing. Forcing women isn't.

we were in love

12-05-2010
tfs star

None of the Iranian women I've met are of that opinion, although as soon as the plane left the ground in Tehran most of the women whipped off their scarves.
I think you're right about forcing women to wear it, let them choose to wear it with pride, don't force them so they resent it.

In Bloom

^Trust me, many of them hate it. They don't go around saying it, because they don't want the wrong person to hear it. But it's kinda funny how most of them whip off the scarf as soon as they enter the plane or cross the border. If you've ever taken the train from Tehran to Turkey...OMG Everyone starts drinking beer and playing cards

we were in love

12-05-2010
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitizedfashion View Post
I'm SO bothered by this post . I hope it's all a misunderstanding.
I think what she meant was that most of the models are either caucasian or made to look caucasian. Middle Eastern women are vey beautiful and exotic looking its a shame that there arent very many on the international modelling scene, a good example of a beautiful middle eastern woman is Iranian actress Necar Zadegan who is on 24 season 8
photoshelter.com

Last edited by Urban Stylin; 12-05-2010 at 05:27 PM.
12-05-2010
fashion icon

I really think that it is important to let a women choose to wear a scarf or not to, its not our business to impose it upon them. Honestly, some of these women look so well dressed compaired to their western counterparts, don't you think so?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
eastern, middle, street, style