How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-01-2005
NOE
trendsetter

Marrimoda...you totally are harsh, so allow me to be. I live in chicago and I've lived in SF. I have family in LA, London, and NY (so I visit there often). The style here is just as any other. I'm also from Bloomfield Hills, MI (one of the richest cities in the US actually...not that I'm saying I'm rich). People have so much style there that sometimes is overwhelming.

Where do you live that makes you the fashion expert?

I'm actually sick of NY and LA people thinking they are the only one's with any style sense. It's people like that who blow $$ on LV bags and Chanel sunglasses to think they are "in", when really anyone can have style (on any budget)...it's all how you put it together and how you wear it.

I'm not trying to be rude...I just think it's really naive for others to think that the Midwest has no style.

22-01-2005
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOE
I live in Chi-town (and I've lived in SF), so the style here is just like any other big city. Wish I had some good pics to post, but just like any other big city...we are very into fashion.
Right on. Chicagoans have their hits and misses. The thing about Chicago fashion... is that it's not too adventurous, but very sharp. That's how I think of it, anyway.

22-01-2005
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrimoda
Midwest Style...Isnt that an oxymoron???
Sorry I dont mean to be harsh...
But, I lived in the midwest for a few years...and lost all my motivation to be creative there. There is no style in the midwest, and if you dont understand that then you ought to visit stylish cities to see what Im talking about.
All the more reason to be stylish, IMO.

22-01-2005
living in the sprawl

Wow... people really don't get the Midwest do they.. I think a visit to the aesthetics forum is in order for you marrimoda..

You can be stylish ANYWHERE.. there is also style everywhere... it's all about where you look and your outlook on things...

I love it here in the midwest and know plenty of fashionable people even though I know quite a few unfashionable ones.. Don't be fooled by my previous cynical posts

y-piece,
and tu
rned into a castle for some towering queen
23-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointup
Wow... people really don't get the Midwest do they
No, they really don't. And most people never will...

23-01-2005
V.I.P.

Not only do a lot of people in the midwest have style but they also have manners.....and they know how use them.

23-01-2005
Rebaptising my badness

Quote:
There is a mass of bad fashion up here but what people lack in style they make up for in kindness and being down-to-earth
And in the end of the day that's what really counts.

flaunt the imperfection

really more southwest...but here you go...
from elle.com
scottsdale, arizona...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg az.jpg (89.9 KB, 57 views)

24-01-2005
I love model_mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaturday6
I moved from Houston to St. Louis a while ago. People wear such boring clothed here! I have to buy <i>everything</i> online now because there are only stores like American Eagle. Finding a good pair of shoes is like pulling teeth!
You just haven't found the right places yet! :p Trust me...there is more than American Eagle. I agree that there are boring dressers, but they are everywhere you go!

I love model_mom!

Quote:
Wow... people really don't get the Midwest do they.. I think a visit to the aesthetics forum is in order for you marrimoda..

You can be stylish ANYWHERE.. there is also style everywhere... it's all about where you look and your outlook on things...

I love it here in the midwest and know plenty of fashionable people even though I know quite a few unfashionable ones.. Don't be fooled by my previous cynical posts
Well said! Very true!

doing it

Like I said, I did not see any style in the several years that I lived in the midwest, and believe me when I say I approached with an open mind. I interacted with people in every range of the economic spectrum...so for someone to even bring up wealthy people in Michigan missing the point. Style is not about what you can go out and buy to out-do others with your spending. My criticism of the midwestern style is that it seems very predictable, super commercial, and conservative. Its not that midwesterners dont know how to put an outfit together, its that it seemed very ...hmmm...matchy and obvious. Thats not to say that doesnt exist everywhere...its just that people in other areas seem to have access to more clothing ideas that are not so mass marketed. I'm certainly not the first/only person to observe that -- just read the other posts that complain of not having any variety of shopping.

24-01-2005
fashion insider

what a bunch of BS... style can and does happen ANYWHERE...

if you know where to go in Saint Louis you can find anything...
Play
Laurie Solet
Byrd
Lusso
If you need it Saks Fifth Avenue
and we are one like like 17 states that have Neiman Marcus

American Eagle, Gap, JCrew sure they are all here but they are in every mall all over america including LA and New York... this pisses me off. I have seen people looking like **** in New York, LA, St. Louis, Chicago, London... all over the place... style is not for a city... HOW STUPID are these comments.

that picture of the St. Louis girls... does not look anything like what I am used to...

24-01-2005
I love model_mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lele
what a bunch of BS... style can and does happen ANYWHERE...

if you know where to go in Saint Louis you can find anything...
Play
Laurie Solet
Byrd
Lusso
If you need it Saks Fifth Avenue
and we are one like like 17 states that have Neiman Marcus

American Eagle, Gap, JCrew sure they are all here but they are in every mall all over america including LA and New York... this pisses me off. I have seen people looking like **** in New York, LA, St. Louis, Chicago, London... all over the place... style is not for a city... HOW STUPID are these comments.

that picture of the St. Louis girls... does not look anything like what I am used to...
Thank you. I was reading some of the comment posted and thinking how shallow! There are people with fashion and lack of EVERYWHERE!

The St. Louis picture was just one that I found on the web....I liked the second outfit from the left, but I have seen girls dressed like that.

NOE
trendsetter

I agree that good fashion is everywhere, as well as bad fashion.

For instance people in LA think that they are all the rage...so therefore that makes the entire west coast fashionable? Take a look at Fresno and I doubt you'll find incredible shopping there. I'm sure that there are other places in the state of NY that are less than desirable on the fashion front. I'm just saying that even if you lack the resources (which fortunalty is not the case in Chicago) there are plenty of ways to be creative...even if you only shop at friggin WalMart.

I guess I'm just defensive of it b/c I live for fashion and work in the industry.

I think also that there is a great amount of eclectic dressing going on in LA and NY b/c most people there work in the Arts of some sort and it's well accepted to dress however one wishes. In many other areas (such as the mid-west), many work in very buisness type setting where the dress is expected to be much more uniform, tailored, and traditional. But when the weekend comes...I like to think that us Chicagoans look foreward to mixing it up and expressing ourselves in the way that we know best...STYLE.

However, I certainly agree that NYC and LA know how to do it up...I love the fashion there, Don't get me wrong.

Last edited by NOE; 24-01-2005 at 03:41 PM.
24-01-2005
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOE
I like to think that us Chicagoans look foreward to mixing it up and expressing ourselves in the way that we know best...STYLE.

However, I certainly agree that NYC and LA know how to do it up...I love the fashion there, Don't get me wrong.
Beautiful statement!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
midwest, street, style