How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-01-2005
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by steftastic
I'm in Howell. Basically I have Twelve Oaks and the Meridian Mall as my choices . . .
Stef, I am very near to you! Joy to the snow!

And to all, I thought the point that many have made was that style and being fashionable have nothing to do with where you live, or what stores you have available to you, but how you wear and make what you have available to you your own?

Wow, that was a run on sentence if i've ever seen one.

Besides, we have the internet now, that opens up A LOT of options!

26-01-2005
NOE
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steftastic
I'm in Howell. Basically I have Twelve Oaks and the Meridian Mall as my choices . . .
I used to work at the Twelve Oaks Mall when I was younger . I'm actually from West Bloomfield, so you're right next door. You should make a trip to Someret for a shopping get-a-way...I always did.

I'm not going to try to defend my style, or that of the Midwest any longer. I feel I've said what I can and guess I'm just one of those nice, down-to-earth MidWesterens that is not going to give into the temptations of this ridiculous thread any more

I love model_mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honore
Sloan, I AM from the midwest, I was being sarcastic and responding to marrimoda.
Thanks!

windowshopping

I agree the midwest can be conservative, but I saw that as a good thing. It left more cool stuff for me.

When I was in southwest Missouri, I would get strange looks from some for simply wearing a skirt, since most people just wore jeans and tees. However, there are plenty of people in the midwest who love style, and if they like what they see they aren't afraid to come up and talk to you. I miss that.

27-01-2005
ingenue

it seems a bit silly to argue about midwest style, and basically whether or not it exists. you're all at the fashion spot, so I would say that it must exist because the fact that there are so many of you posting on this thread means there are at least a few of you scattered around...and dare I say many more that don't post here.

I really think that style has little to do with where you live. there will always be those who don't understand why you are dressed so differently. and depending on what town you live in, shopping choices may not be very diverse. but if you're a creative, resourceful person, you can do anything you want really. and it shouldn't matter what people think.

27-01-2005
trendsetter

I think most people in the "Middle States" just don't have as much reason to get dolled up or make fashion statements as those that live in more Urban cities or more "Fashion Conscious" cities such as New York or Los Angeles.

I live in Dallas and there are handfuls of very well dressed women... not quite my style, it's very...well DALLAS!

I do think fashion in the East & West coast are more defined than in the central states. In Dallas, almost 95% of the girls shop at the same store and at any given club someone will be wearing what you have on. HAHA.

27-01-2005
fashion insider

[QUOTE=adorevintage]I think most people in the "Middle States" just don't have as much reason to get dolled up or make fashion statements as those that live in more Urban cities or more "Fashion Conscious" cities such as New York or Los Angeles.

yeah... I am in one of those "middle states" and we dont ever do anything and never need to get dolled up. I pick corn all day and then tend to my chickens and sheep. WHAT THE FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF? Please... not to sound mean but that sounds so stupid. people go out and go to dinner and get dressed up and go to the theatre, weddings, parties... all over the world honey including the midwest. i was done with this conversation until i read that. I could not help myself.

28-01-2005
NOE
trendsetter

[QUOTE=lele]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adorevintage
I think most people in the "Middle States" just don't have as much reason to get dolled up or make fashion statements as those that live in more Urban cities or more "Fashion Conscious" cities such as New York or Los Angeles.

yeah... I am in one of those "middle states" and we dont ever do anything and never need to get dolled up. I pick corn all day and then tend to my chickens and sheep. WHAT THE FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF? Please... not to sound mean but that sounds so stupid. people go out and go to dinner and get dressed up and go to the theatre, weddings, parties... all over the world honey including the midwest. i was done with this conversation until i read that. I could not help myself.

^^Oh my God....I love you. TOO friggin' funny

front row

[QUOTE=lele]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adorevintage

05-02-2005
windowshopping

i live in houston, and the biggest trend here is abercrombie and fitch. i personally hate it, but in my school (both hs and college) it is "the" thing to wear. that and just about every girl seems to think that they have to have long blonde hair to be attractive.

there used to be a select few people who shopped at the vintage stores and had really good unique fashion, but since vintage became popular, it seems to have died out quite a bit.

i just wish i lived in a city where i could wear my faux hawk and not be labeled as a weirdo or someone who has no style.

06-02-2005
V.I.P.

WOW!!! Three pages and only two photos (one can't be counted because it's from Arizona). That is amazing.

06-02-2005
V.I.P.

minneapolis has a great artsy scene..and cheap cheap clothes (in price)-most of the fav items i got here-also no clothing tax and lots of thrift/ vintage stores.
i agree where you live doesn't necessary determine your style...but you are definately influenced...there are a lot of "parkas" and prep. in general, fashion is taken pretty literally...but i think its because there is a appreciation for earthy, punk (unpolished), hippie influenced clothing-lots of colors and layers..lets call it "bike messenger chic", maybe a little eastern europe perhaps?

06-02-2005
NOE
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbutterb
minneapolis has a great artsy scene..and cheap cheap clothes (in price)-most of the fav items i got here-also no clothing tax and lots of thrift/ vintage stores.
i agree where you live doesn't necessary determine your style...but you are definately influenced...there are a lot of "parkas" and prep. in general, fashion is taken pretty literally...but i think its because there is a appreciation for earthy, punk (unpolished), hippie influenced clothing-lots of colors and layers..lets call it "bike messenger chic", maybe a little eastern europe perhaps?
Hey, I'm actually go to Minneapolis for a whole week for work...by myself...and have no clue what to do. I'm a huge bargin shopper...any suggestions? I'm going in 2 weeks. Thought it would be a bore ...by now I'm slightly excited.

living in the sprawl

^ I Minneapolis... trust me, you can find lots to do.. if you want to shop check out st paul ...snelling ave... downtown minneapolis

here are some websites that might help..

http://www.travellady.com/articles/a...inneapolis.htm

http://www.citypages.com/bestof2004/boughtandsold/

y-piece,
and tu
rned into a castle for some towering queen
07-02-2005
windowshopping

Some people have a bit o' style here in minni . . . . shop uptown. . . . there's a store featuring local designers . . . . . and some other neat vintage shops.

some of the U fashion students can dress pretty euro-hip . . . esp. in St. Paul.

Downtown clubbin . . . . . . i see mostly lame clubby gear, and hoochie stuff. . . . i'm a hip hop club nut . . . . .but there are a handful of folks who sure can put an outfit together.

Each person has to decide what kind of thought they want to put into their clothes . . . . based on my upbringing and family, it's not unfair to say that most people in minnesota just don't focus much on it. appropriate, often bland . . . that's the plan. sometimes it feels dorky or dumpy or boring or whatever---- that so many fellow minnies don't dress it up or dress interestingly, . . . especially since I love clothes so much. . . . .but it's also rather comforting in a way that looks/clothes/etc. arent' so central or important in this region/culture. maybe that's dumb. . . . but i'm a litttle tipsy, so it seems to make some sense. not to say that loving clothes and dressing yourself are self-centered activities that suggeset your values are out of place . . . .hoep not or i'm totlaly f**ked. . . .. :p

nornor
GO TC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
midwest, street, style