How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-08-2006
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybelly_303
oh how i love those minneapolis bikers.
Hah - that gave me a chuckle.

02-09-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
Hah - that gave me a chuckle.
i will find some pictures for you--they are everywhere!

19-03-2007
front row

The Midwest and style dont mix

23-03-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Urgh! I went over this in the Chicago thread! Don't generalize! We're not *that* bad!

23-03-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalleriaResident
I live in a highwealth suburb of Chicago, where people can afford the designers sometimes listed on these forums... God's honest truth is that they simply wear UGGs, miniskirts, and muffintops. Forget symmetry, beauty, or any kind of class. They do that, or dress conservatively, or they do this extreme minimalist-look. It really only proves to me that money cannot buy style. I've gone to dollar-thrift stores and bought stuff, co-ordinated it, and looked like a million bucks. I've done the opposite too, it cost a little more than a few bucks.

Too many extremes. (In personality, too, but that's something else. Maybe the fashion here just reflects these extremities.)

The runway is the only place one can find any reference to style, nowadays, and even then, sometimes it can be a toss-up .

(cough) Homme (cough) Galliano

Last edited by marsmars; 23-03-2007 at 10:47 PM.
26-03-2007
trendsetter

I live in Milwaukee ... there is no style here. Most of the year it's just too damn cold.

I wore UGGs (even to work) for about 2 months straight. Guilty as charged.

27-03-2007
trendsetter

^I was in Milwaukee last year, everybody wore trackies and shorts in the summer time
My host family thought I was sooo vain

27-03-2007
front row

Oh my gosh, I am totally going to start carying my camera around the city now that I know this thread exists I live in Minneapolis and there is such a variety... some good and some oh so bad

06-04-2007
front row

I'm from Milwaukee and the city's main stylish area is the East Side/Downtown. You get called "snooty "East Sider by the blah people.....I now live in Nashville. Love the style here....it's cold from late Nov thru Feb or so and you can still wear fabulous shoes and coats during winter.

I miss the lifestyle and fashion of Prospect Avenue/Lake Drive/,etc...soooo cutting edge. Heading to the 'burbs of Milwaukee, all about sweats, capris, those stupid flip flops and Kohl's Dept Store......... I Love Milwaukee though...

Last edited by Labeladdict2; 06-04-2007 at 10:58 AM.
07-05-2007
backstage pass

it's hilarious how dead this thread is... saw a street style blog from Chicago--dead and boring/kind of gross infact as well. maybe Chicago is that bad, but... I know it isn't...:p there's an obvious ring scene stylish folk on myspace (and a whole lot more who wouldn't be caught/bothered to be on there ;]).

07-05-2007
V.I.P.

There are some exceptions of course, but for the most part I have noticed that the style in both Minneapolis and Chicago (I've lived in both) is more or less about comfort and weather. There are people that follow fashion, but most end up looking like fashion victims or hipster art students (the worst IMO).

That said, if Paris got anywhere near as cold as Chicago and Minneapolis does - I highly doubt they would be fashionable in winter either!

28-08-2007
front row

Let's wake this thread up!!
I live in Minneapolis and work downtown so I see it all fashionwise that Minneapolis has to offer. My observances:
  • Minneapolis is overun with "scene" kids
  • New York New York, Minneapolis is always coveting the New Yorkness.
  • Preppy has been replaced with super trendy. You know that page in the magazine that shows like 10 celebs wearing the same trend? That's the new prep here.
  • A lot of guys are trying to do the Johhny Depp or Adam Brody style.
  • The womens work wardrobe usually falls into 3 categories: black pant suit, super matchy seperates, straight up casual. There are exceptions obviously, not all working women here fall into those categories. Some look marvelous.
  • Eclectic. Minnesota and in particular Minneapolis isn't just a bunch of old white people. In MPLS there are just as many Black people as White people as Mexicans as Somalians as Tibetans as Hmongs etc. So in that way...we are kind of like the New York of the Midwest.
SO c'mon people! let's represent for the mid-west. Talk about the fashions and style where you live.

30-08-2007
front row

^I live in Minneapolis too have to say I agree with alot of what you said. This is a blog this guy I used to work with runs...
http://theminneapoline.blogspot.com/
alot of it is "scene" kids, but there's some variety on there too

04-09-2007
front row

cool, thanks! I definately recognized the minneapolis-ness of it all.

04-09-2007
front row

ANOTHER OBSERVANCE:

Packs of girls wearing the exact same outfit! Any group of young female friends that come downtown..usually wil be wearing the same outfit. OKay maybe not "usually" but enough times for me to notice. For example: I saw a group of girls (5 or 6) ALL wearing little t-shirts, hole-y jeans, and flip flops. And anothe group of girls ALL wearing cropped sweatpants , School sweatshirts, and coach bags. This along with super-trendy has replaced preppy. And it's grossing me out.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
midwest, street, style