How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-03-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashion_diva
ME TOO! I understand what you are saying.. I walk into class at Concordia with my MJ stam bag, pink head band, Skull scarf, cute tops like rebel yell, primp bunny, grail, marc jacobs casual sweaters, with jogging pants. I look so out of place and im not even dressing fancy or anything. Just casual?
Really? Must be different - during the fall I found some of the girls in my McGill classes to be so inspiring! Vintage Chanel book bags, adorable knee-high boots, perfectly layered tops, cute, cute scarves (I have the skull scarf, as well, and so do a few of my friends). So many girls have a great ability to mix high-end designers with cheap, vintage pieces. Maybe it's just the typical "campus chic", but I had high-hopes for Montréal fashion coming from Toronto (although I am aware that it really doesn't compare London or Paris--where I spend my summers), and I can confidently say that my classmates met my expectations. I know what you'll say - that McGill fashion isn't necessarily representative of Montréal fashion - but I do try to get out of the bubble, and overall, I'm impressed.

However, I do prefer the shopping in Toronto. The Holt Renfrew is so much better, I miss Kensington Market like no other, as well as H&M and TNT. I just prefer how the women here in Montréal carry themselves -- they're not afraid to wear (proper) heels during the day, and the coats, jackets, hats, and scarves for the winter are much more chic here than in Toronto.

16-03-2006
front row

Actually, yesterday I went to Holt's and they are totally changing it. They have started to carry more hip designers in their young section. Younger bags too. Plus the shoe section has totally changed to ... they are even carrying christian louboutin now... only three shoes... two of which are last season at full price. They have current collections - Marc jacobs. I bought a cute top with polka dots and says smile on the top at marc jacobs that I didnt even see in NYC two weeks ago! However, not, all their items are up to date with NYC. Like, items that are on sale in nyc now are full price here.

I am impressed that they are trying to update their collection...

If anyone is interested they are having private shopping hours... 6 to 9 - spend 700 and get free gift certificates. They had it yesterday... Dont know if you have to be invited.

17-03-2006
windowshopping

yea
Not for anything, but you really gotta be out of your minds if you guys think that holts is the only place you can go to get hott clothes. I admit that they have nice stuff but way way too conservative and some of the stuff is way over priced compared to the actual retail price.
Work it

17-03-2006
fashion icon

As everyone knows my shopping destinations range from Old Navy to Hermes and I like it that way. I like knowing that I can wear a Gucci dress with an Old Navy blazer and still get compliments on my style.

I suppose one would call my style eclectic. And, as I and countless other members have said, It's not so much what you're wearing but how you're wearing it. You don't need labels to have style.

As for taking pictures...I'm too shy to ask people if I can take their pictures. Sorry... It's unfortunate because there is this elderly woman that lives in my building who has impeccable style. She really has a great taste and knows how to put pieces together. I'm afraid she'll think that I am weird if I ask to take a picture of her.

I've noticed the Holts is changing which is a good thing. I'll always be a loyal Holts shopper because I find their sales people very friendly and helpful. I also like their personal shoppers.

Last edited by CelineChic; 17-03-2006 at 12:26 PM.
17-03-2006
V.I.P.

^ Please do Celine..... !!! I'd love to see pics of that lovely stylish ladie....

I personally don't care about mixing high end with cheap stuff... everything I have is cheapos and I love what I wear....

18-03-2006
V.I.P.

The worst fashion gotta be at "foufs" (foufounes electriques)..... ...went there (don't even ask why!) Thursday on Ladies' night.....

bunch of preps/glam emo/faux emo-punk/faux poser-punk with tons of $$$ accessories.....

18-03-2006
backstage pass

whats the big deal with "paris milan and london"?. dunno milan or london so well but paris, i go there all the time. and let me say the streetstyle there is far from fantastic. everyone dresses the same (unlike here) and fashion is very, very conservative.
shopping wise - paris is amazing if you're looking for haute couture or specific (smaller) labels.

about foufs - i havent been in ages. lots of poseurs - see: emo kids and hipsters - there. thursdays are so cheap for girls tho. ahh drunken memories.

18-03-2006
front row

Well... foufs...lol what do u expect. I have never been their, its not my seen. But, all u get there is like punks and stuff. Hipsters? ...

19-03-2006
V.I.P.

^ PUNKS!!!??? come on that was like years ago... now all you get are emos/hipsters and poseurs..... (and preps) the only punk people i saw were fakies.... wannabe punks probably, but no punks...

I think the only half decent places now are big cheese/divan orange....!

19-03-2006
fashion elite

My brother goes to McGill, he says people who live in Montreal absolutely hate the McGill students!!...but I was wondering what stores I should go to next time I'm up there? Stores with stylish stuff for reasonable prices, I'm always dragged around to Ogilvy's, Holt Renfrew, Ailes, and The Bay...while I like these stores, where my parents will buy lots, I'd rather have more unique things, rather than just well known brands, though I do have some from those stores!! Suggestions for stores I should scope out?

19-03-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boluda
whats the big deal with "paris milan and london"?. dunno milan or london so well but paris, i go there all the time. and let me say the streetstyle there is far from fantastic. everyone dresses the same (unlike here) and fashion is very, very conservative.
shopping wise - paris is amazing if you're looking for haute couture or specific (smaller) labels.

about foufs - i havent been in ages. lots of poseurs - see: emo kids and hipsters - there. thursdays are so cheap for girls tho. ahh drunken memories.
I've never been to Milan, but I, too, spend a lot of time in Paris and London and I do think the streetstyle is amazing in both cities, as well as in NYC. I find Paris more conservative than London, yes, but still incredibly chic.

Anyways, back to Montréal streetstyle ... there are some great vintage stores way, way north on St. Laurent. There is also a really good vintage store (but more expensive) at St. Denis and Sherbrooke. It's very well organized and has amazing things!

19-03-2006
scenester

uhhh, what imaginary datum are most of these conclusions drawn from? eve gravel.
i think the montreal fashion seen is pretty dreadful....for lack of evidence to prove the contrary.
like the I LOVE NEON pictures!!!
( haha most of those pictures are from HALLOWEEN...which almost pardons how daft everybody looks, but i have yet to see anything that resembles style there....its like a watered-down, prole version of MISSHAPES or something.)
that said...
ive been hearing lots of buzz about TRAVIS TADDEO's (pictured in one of those pics) s/s 06 collection.

ps.
UP THE FOUFS!

19-03-2006
V.I.P.

ive been hearing lots of buzz about TRAVIS TADDEO's (pictured in one of those pics) s/s 06 collection.

ps.
UP THE FOUFS!
[/quote]

i know Travis i was with him just the other day and i like his clothes. also he was going on and on about how i should go to Neon party. he goes there

19-03-2006
V.I.P.

the worst montreal street style....? jet night club....

what do you think...?

19-03-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASHIONLOVA

ps.
UP THE FOUFS!
i know Travis i was with him just the other day and i like his clothes. also he was going on and on about how i should go to Neon party. he goes there[/quote]

travis is super cool.
i really like his clothes also.
the Noen parties are fun.
but theyre more about getting ****ed up and dancing than making a serious fashion statement.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
montreal, street, style