How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-09-2006
JEM
rising star

Ok, you guys are right. I should have stayed out of it, and now I will. Sorry, like I said I did not want to offend anyone. Hope you can forgive me....

07-09-2006
V.I.P.

I know that I sounded rude, but I wasn't trying to be. I'm just saying that this is a style thread, not a weight one! I've found some more pics that I'll post, but I'm too lazy right now

still here

^no problem, I'll start commenting on the ones you posted then!

I really like the 4th girl in post 64 (white tunic, jeans cut at knee...). I always think cut off pants and pumps with straps around the ankles are a big no no with thicker legs, but she seems to have the proportions down perfectly to pull it off.

The first girl in post 67 is one of the first I've seen that pulls off semi-skinny jeans. I like how she wears the always slimming all black but with a punch of color.

07-09-2006
V.I.P.

I definetely agree on the skinny jeans girl! I used to be anti-skinny jeans if you're above a size 6, but I recently bought a semi-skinny pair, and if you get the proportions right, it actually looks good. That woman wore flats, which is OK if you have height, but I think that if you don't, tall shoes (I wore 5 inch/13 cm wedges) are best.

Eat me, drink me

xmodel citizen, those are awesome pics, thanks for posting them!

Power to the 99%

Thanks for the pix Some are really great ... have to admit a few seemed more like what not to wear to me ...

07-09-2006
boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
I don't understand why we need a plus sized style thread... Style can also be found on a "smaller" person, and be adapted to any body size. Also, i don't mean to offend anyone, but I do not think it is OK to say ( even though it is true )that the average american woman is a size 12. It sounds like an excuse, and if anything, it should open our eyes to what is going on with our society. We now have these 2 extremes, either size 00 or size 12. What happened to a healthy size in between these two??

My cheap two cents on this. I feel that one can draw inspiration from smaller women, larger women, all women with style. I am what would be considered plus sized but my main fashion icons at the moment are Carine Roitfeld and Sofia Coppola. We don't share a body types but I consider their looks to be unique, original and fitting within the tenants of my personal aesthetic. I don't think anyone is saying that style cannot be found on smaller women, I think a statement along those lines would be fairly ridiculous.

However, I do feel that positive fashionable images of women who are not slender are hard to come by. You don't see them in magazines very often and its hard to find them on the net. I am all about appreciating the diversity of styles and body types that this world has to offer but it can be difficult to do that when the images are not readily accessible. It can feel as though society for whatever reason has chosen to ignore the beauty of people whose shapes are different. Women whether thinner or heavier each have different body shapes the way a dress looks on a petite girl is different from the way it looks on a tall girl. Likewise the way something looks on someone heavier is also different. For those of us who are a bit heavier its nice to see clothes on people whose bodies reflect our own. And hopefully for those of us who are thinner its nice to see some more great streetstyle.

As such I think that a plus sized streetstyle thread is a step in the right direction. I don't feel as though ANY of the body types represented in this thread have been unhealthy and its just as important that we keep our attitudes healthy about the existence of such a thread. The Mods have been gracious enough to allow this thread to remain open and I'd like to see this thread stay open / get filled with all sorts of great pictures. I am going to try and shoot some streetstyle here tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited by Luxx; 07-09-2006 at 12:52 PM.

07-09-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta
Thanks for the pix Some are really great ... have to admit a few seemed more like what not to wear to me ...
LOL, I agree! I just posted whatever I found. Some of the outfits I would never ever wear, even if my life depended on it, but some are great. But hey, it's all a matter of taste, right?

V.I.P.

Meh, these aren't that great. Most of them are "scene" pictures from parties, but, whatever, it's something I guess.

2threads.com

Last edited by xmodel citizen; 07-09-2006 at 01:10 PM.
07-09-2006
V.I.P.

Wow guys, thanks for posting those fab pics! And also, I am glad there is an discussion thread/ place to share on this subject.

Quote:
There's no such thing as a "healthy" size. It changes per person. Not to mention it makes a difference a woman's height. A woman wh is 6'0 and a size 12 will be far thinner than a woman who is 5'0 and a size 12.
I don't know how those sizes work, but I wear a very big size, and I don't consider myself as hudge ( I have an waist, and quite a flat stomach) but because I am very tall 185cm (that is about 6'1) I have to wear big sizes. I don't fit in 'plussized' clothing because it has a wrong fit (those clothing is usually made for woman who are short and have a post-baby(s) stomach) So I wear a lot of trousers and jackets from mens departments.

07-09-2006
V.I.P.

Ack, I can't stop posting, I'm addicted! LOL, I'll try to stop spamming.

From streetfancy.blogspot.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg street2.jpg (25.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg street'.jpg (25.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg street3.jpg (29.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg street4.jpg (29.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg street5.jpg (27.5 KB, 9 views)

V.I.P.

Same source
Attached Images
File Type: jpg street6.jpg (21.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg street7.jpg (35.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg street8.jpg (29.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg street9.jpg (16.4 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg street10.jpg (24.2 KB, 290 views)

fashion icon

I was drawn to this thread by the strange thread title lol.

I personally don't look at size when 'judging' style (e.g. Kelly Osbourne- she's not exactly thin, but the majority of the time at least one of the pieces she's worn to a formal occassion has been a fabulous piece of clothing, even if the ensemble itself is not to my liking) and i'm glad the mods decided to keep this thread because there is some GREAT dressing in the photos here. I love a lot of the pieces people have chosen although i hardly think any of these girls are plus size. When i'm thinking plus-size i'm thinking size 14 and above, but that's from an Australian perspective.

Last edited by justlooking; 07-09-2006 at 01:53 PM.
07-09-2006
tfs star

wow, i'd be totally offended if my pic ended up on here, judging by the fact that most of the girls on this thread only look 2 or 3 sizes bigger than me :/ in the uk, plus sized is usually size 18 and above. these girls look no more than a 12-14.

07-09-2006
front row

thanks for posting so many pics, xmodel!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
size, streetstyle