How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-10-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight fairy
As a Ukrainian/Russian, I think I should post something about this thread.

I live between the centre and the East of Europe, (Czech Republic and Ukraine to be precise), and I travel, perhaps twice a year to other European countries like Italy/Spain/France/UK.
So I really know how people dress around here.

I think the problem with Russian style is the lack of edginess and individuality. Women in Russia have tremendous potential - I might be biased, but I think Slav women are absolutely stunning - yet they tend to aim for the more sexually attractive look more than anything. Whilst in Germany/Italy/etc. individuality is starting to become more and more appreciated and sought after, Russian women are still preoccupied with trends - often not the latest trends, either. Russian women love short skirts and high heels, tight jeans. Like I said, they go for the sexier look more than anything. However, I think they have the potential to look very feminine and beautiful if only they'd stop reading magazines like Cosmo and the new magazine PINK! or whatever it's called, which basically tells you what's hot and what's not. But, then again, like Faust has said, this is a problem in London and other Western cities/countries; the trend-obsession.
Even women who do have money tend to dress slightly tastelessly and too sexily. I think Russian women need to losen up a bit, let themselves be more free and stop being obsessed with logos. This is quite a big problem. LV bags - Gucci - DIOR - D&G - ppppperfection!
But I can't say that it's much better to see the Juicy Couture obsession in some Western countries. I know lots of super duper wealthy women in Ukraine who just put everything on at the same time - diamond earrings, necklaces, D&G jeans, Gucci bag, Dior shirt, Cavalli jacket, Chanel hair clips. It just makes me want to cryyy.

I think that soon enough Russian style will gain independancy. I think women need to go for the classy, feminine, simple, yet sultry look which they will be able to pull off beautifully.

By the way, whenever I come to Ukraine, people comment on how untraditional and punky I dress. Which is like, WHAT? Since I wear converse/jeans/polka dots/stripes which is really not at all original in Western countries. But it is perceived as kind of strange in Kiev.
That's a very good post and intelligent obseravation. Like I said before, this is all a learning curve. The country is what, barely 10 years out of the communist state? Is it supposed to just turn into a leader of style overnight? This is not a Cinderall fairy tale, things don't happen that way. Give it time, and the bad taste will go away as people accumulate knowledge and income.

Donnie, not only you are <euphemism>not smart</euphemism>, but you chose neither to answer my questions, nor accept my challenge. You didn't say one thing of substance yet, and I doubt you will. So, I guess that disqualifies your posts from having any sense of objectivity or relevance, now doesn't it?

07-10-2005
trendsetter

I think everyone's stereotype of Russian fashion on this board is that of the older generation. Yeah, some of them like to put on to much at once and dress "sexy". But the new generation, people in their 20s, would give all of you a run for your money with their sense of style. Nexy time I'm in Moscow I'll take some pictures and show you what I mean. Plus, most of the pictures you're seeing here are of the "new Russians" who have all the money. Most of these people grew up not so well off, and its just a psychological effect of getting that much wealth later on in your life as opposed to being born in thsoe types of surroundings. They subconsciously want to compensate for what they missed in their earlier years and thus go overboard with expensive labels and the works.

07-10-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
"i CAN say they have no style-simply because they dont" - well, aren't you a queen.

Let's see if you are fit to judge.
Yes I really want to see some pictures too. What does style mean to you,Im really curious because one of the definitions the Websters dictionary gives us is
"A particular fashion". So techincly they do have style,eventhough it may not be the one you fancy.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFLUFFER
I agree with all the points mentioned above - russians do get pissed when somebody is trying to potray them as anything but "civilized and cultured", civilized has to be their second favorite word after "propaganda" of course. The thing is Russia is still a brutal savage country. ALthough there are boomtowns like MOscow and St. Petersburg (much less so) that have gone a long way from having 3 varieties of wintercoats in shops, the majority of people in provinces live below the poverty line and are reduced to buying the vietnamese crap on the market. The percentage of people with decent disposable income who take advantage of fashion magazines, shows, boutiques etc. is very very small. There is defintetly a growing interest in Russian designers and places like Le Form and Marki do make money. HOwever if you go to the streets of moscow most of the stuff you see is, well... tacky. D&G are GODS, also Cavalli and Dsquared, Cavalli now is what Versace used to be to Russians ten years ago. Juicy Couture appeared two years ago and its a big hit now I saw a girl in a trendy restaurant wearing a pair of UGGs for the first time in moscow last weekend.

I SO hate it when someone is displaying disrespect towards their own country or the people of their own nationality. There are some things one should never do: speaking badly on their friends unless it's principal, speaking badly on their family unless it's principal or speaking badly on their country (unless it's principal, and, while talking about fashion trends I think it's not). And it's really unclear to me whoever harms Russia's reputation more - the people with no sense of style or those who feel the need to show themselves off by pointing out on the flaws of their homeland.

30-10-2005
ingenue

I know it's easy to get into an impassioned nationalistic discussion, but ultimately this is still only a street style thread. I understand that sometimes these things go hand in hand, but lets not get too off the topic here.

03-11-2005
backstage pass

Wow passionate discussion here! Post more pictures talk less please, I've NEVER been to Moscow and I'd love to see what the street style is like there BTW I hope nobody is offended, I just wish I learned more about it with firsthand evidence (ie pictures of people in the street of Moscow).

Something that qualifies as a Russian fashion tidbit: Watch enthusiasts jokingly said when Putin went after Khodorkovsky that it was a Patek fan attacking a "nouveau riche" for his tacky Platinum Rolex.
(Putin wears a Patek Philippe Calatrava and the oligarch a Rolex President). I wonder how many people emulate Putin's style, I think he dressed very well for a world leader, don't like his politics much though.....

windowshopping

look, I found some pics

source: 9lines.ru
Attached Images
File Type: jpg street_01_05_01.jpg (64.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg street_01_05_02.jpg (50.6 KB, 5 views)

28-11-2005
windowshopping

Wow!
I love the outfit in the first picture!
I think as far as the whole dressing sexy mentality goes...
that isn't specifically a Russian trait. I grew up in
Bulgaria and Macedonia and the outrightly sexy mentality seems to be
more of an Eastern European thing than a trend that is just
in one country.

Also, yes, there is a lot of logo overdose and cheap knockoffs...
but I think as individuality increases throughout the world, logo
mania and trend obsession will slowly die off. Also, you can't blame
countries coming out of government oppression to want luxury,
or the appearance of luxury... whether that means buying an original
LV purse or a knockoff. I am not saying that logo obsession is attractive..
but it does make some people feel reassured in their style. Please don't take this as a negative statement, I am merely trying to convey my own observation.
Every country is
guilty of these accusations... albeit some more than others.

28-11-2005
trendsetter

I posted those pictures in the St Petersburg/Moscow street style thread which now appears to have been deleted or is lost somewhere...?

01-12-2005
scenester

I don't know if these would qualify as street style becasue these are all taken at parties. Anyways I thought maybe I should post those.. (credit www.nightparty.ru)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Na-Evro-verhom.jpg (66.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty_861_27427.jpg (110.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty_861_27422.jpg (123.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty_3182_26325.jpg (116.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty_3182_26335.jpg (99.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty_3182_26367.jpg (98.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty_3182_26373.jpg (67.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty_3182_27347.jpg (95.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty_3182_27366.jpg (84.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty_3522_27343.jpg (87.1 KB, 3 views)

01-12-2005
scenester

more from the same sourse..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nightparty_3182_27353.jpg (87.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty_3182_27386.jpg (98.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty__IMG_0256.jpg (119.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty__IMG_0530_high_pass.jpg (100.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty__IMG_2565.jpg (70.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty__IMG_3306.jpg (95.4 KB, 2 views)

01-12-2005
scenester

again from www.nightparty.ru
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nightparty_861_27393.jpg (85.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty__27641.jpg (73.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty__27649.jpg (71.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty__27673.jpg (82.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty__27654.jpg (76.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty__27663.jpg (106.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty__27670.jpg (69.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty__27685.jpg (74.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty__27694.jpg (63.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg nightparty__27745.jpg (101.8 KB, 2 views)

01-12-2005
scenester

and of course this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nightparty__27648.jpg (82.4 KB, 3 views)

09-12-2005
trendsetter

From street-fashion.afisha.ru
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moda01.jpg (49.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg moda02.jpg (44.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg moda03.jpg (58.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg moda04.jpg (55.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg moda05.jpg (49.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg moda07.jpg (55.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg moda08.jpg (51.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg moda09.jpg (51.8 KB, 1 views)

09-12-2005
trendsetter

Some more from street-fashion.afisha.ru

This girl was in Russian Vogue a while back in some street style feature if I remember correctly...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g00.jpg (47.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg g02.jpg (49.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg g05.jpg (47.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg g06.jpg (45.9 KB, 0 views)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
russian, street, style