How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-04-2004
flaunt the imperfection

softee...i really think you've got a mistaken impression... i don't know anyone who thinks that russians are bad or that the soviet union is bad...or any of that stuff...that's so yesterday...the russian mafia has a bad reputation...but so does every mafia... to be honest...it would be far more accurate to say that most americans really don't know what's going on in russia and probably really don't care right now...

as long as you're not blowing us up...we have other things to worry about...like the idiots who are...

it might look different from your perspective but that's how it looks from where i'm sitting...

12-04-2004
windowshopping

softgrey
It also depends on the person's social circle. Younger people seem to think the way you do, slightly older audience thinks a bit differently, which makes perfect sense.

But since we're talking about Moscow fashion, here's a link with pictures from different parties in Moscow, and defiles of Russian designers (some of which are very talented and definitely not new like Yudashkin, Zaicev).
It certainly helps if you know Russian, but you can just browse the pictures to get an idea.

12-04-2004
flaunt the imperfection

thx softee...that's a cool link..since i don't speak russian...can you tell me where and when most of these photos were taken...thx

12-04-2004
windowshopping

softgrey
Sure! They are the pictures from different openings (nightclubs, exhibits, boutiques), the most recent one is from the opening of fashion week in Moscow, fashion shows by famous Russian and non-Russian designers (like Yohji Yamamoto), after-parties, presentations, festivals, etc...

13-04-2004
paint it black

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Apr 12th, 2004 - 5:32 pm
i don't know anyone who thinks that russians are bad or that the soviet union is bad
ok, I really hate to nit-pick but I think there are a lot of people out there who consider/considered soviet union as evil. It was a totalitarian state after all.
Sorry, offtopic

13-04-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by maarit+Apr 13th, 2004 - 1:12 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maarit @ Apr 13th, 2004 - 1:12 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@Apr 12th, 2004 - 5:32 pm
i don't know anyone who thinks that russians are bad or that the soviet union is bad
ok, I really hate to nit-pick but I think there are a lot of people out there who consider/considered soviet union as evil. It was a totalitarian state after all.
Sorry, offtopic [/b][/quote]
past tense i think ...i don't think anyone still thinks it's what it used to be except for a few random die-hards...

hasn't it changed dramatically?...isn't it still changing...?

that's the impression i get from the american media...is that wrong?

13-04-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by Softee@Apr 12th, 2004 - 12:50 pm
And FYI, the majority of Russian women still dress better than most American women do (and they are less fat than American, and a lot more attractive than French and English women, sorry but it's true) . Anyone who goes to Moscow notices that right at the airport...
i'm not trying to start anything really but i was kind of offended by that comment. What does weight or beauty have to do with fashion much less anything else ..

i duno. i just don't like how our world emphasizes it so much. i'm trying to change my way of thinking and percieving people just on the basis of their appearance. note: i'm trying.. it's hard but i'm making an effort

13-04-2004
backstage pass

I don't know very well the trend of fashion in Russia I prefer study the trend in Italy, for the moment

13-04-2004
etre soi-meme

one can find well dressed an bad dressed people everywhere, i dont think its a 'regional' issue.

i've visited Moscow some years ago and even though women are gorgeous they seemed like trying too hard to fit the "western" standards.
Hopefully they've been past their post perestroika mood though the article shows just a continuation of slaving for 'western' status.
i'd love to see more of the great russian culture in their clothes and i'm absolutely looking forward to a new breed of Russian designers.

for new designers its obviously hard to wash off all the 'western' labels influence and hype but as long as they start getting proud of their roots/traditions/culture, i'm positive they can turn up as the next big thing in contemporary fashion.

13-04-2004
windowshopping

Lena, what makes you think that they are not proud of their roots?
And I agree Russian women pay too much attention to their looks... But they notoriously strive to look feminine and sexy more than anything else... E.g. - they wear pantyhose when it's -20 degrees outside as they wait for a bus at the busstop... which is kind of demeaning (and unhealthy)... It shouldn't be a woman's top priority to be liked by men...
What I like about American women is that they are free spirits... they wear whatever they like...

13-04-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by Softee@Apr 13th, 2004 - 11:58 am
Lena, what makes you think that they are not proud of their roots?
the fact that they try too hard to look like 'westerners' plus the fact that some of them used to 'practically slave' in order to buy all the non-russian brands they could -or could not- afford.

that was some years back and i'm talking from personal experience, unfortunately, the SUV etc. refferences at the nyt article show that the situation hasn't changed much.

13-04-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by tott@Apr 12th, 2004 - 5:04 pm
faust, Sugo: It's a bit surprising to learn that Karlsson på taket is so popular in Russia!

Of course I grew up with Astrid Lindgren's stories, but I'm always surprised to learn how universal her appeal seems to be!

Me and my twin had Drutten dolls, and our mother made us a crocodile... Sort of like Jena, but not quite. My brother still has it, actually!
You didn't know?! I thought it was as widely known fact in Sweden as it is in Russia that these are the only two countries (well, I mean former SU) where Karlsson was a really popular book. As a matter of fact Lindgren visited SU many times during the cold war and was always warmly received. She's in love with Russia.

13-04-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by tott+Apr 12th, 2004 - 5:13 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tott @ Apr 12th, 2004 - 5:13 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Softee@Apr 12th, 2004 - 11:06 pm
You think it's paranoid? Watch CNN, keeping in mind how Americans stereotype other nations, including Russians. You'll see a lot of stereotypes, a lot of negativity, and exaggerations. If you keep you mind open to this idea, you might just see how many ignorant reports and articles (like the one in question) are out there...
I'm not an American, and I have to agree with you that anything outside the US is often stereotyped by American medias like CNN!

This doesn't change the fact that you seem to be a bit overly sensitive here...

Sorry, Softee, that's the way I see it![/b][/quote]
Guys, you really want to laugh? CNN is considered LIBERAL media in the USA. You should watch Fox news sometimes, the hair on your head will stand up.

Like I said before, NY Times is a terrible disappointment when it comes to their articles on Russia.

Lena

The biggest change in Russian fashion happened in the last few years - what you witnessed was the mafia wives fashion, flashy and logo-filled. Now, more and more of the young people have disposable income, and these people are much more discerning. The fact that there exist stores such as Le Form (which carries the likes of Ann Dem, Margiela and Watanabe, Le Form and boutiques by Vivienne Westwood and Yohji Yamamoto speaks for itself.

13-04-2004
arndom

Comme has a Star boutique in St. Petersburg as well:-)

I think when you are talking about fashion in Russia, there are Moscow, St. Petersburg and the rest of Russia. The Russian Vogue edition is full of "hard-core" designers' stuffs. I was in Moscow in winter (about 2 years ago) so everybody wore fur. In GUM's shops a russian made real fur cost about 2000 usd. I think very few people can shop at boutiques like Prada or Armani (as everywhere:-). There are also several huge Sisleys, Benettons and Diesels. LeForm stocks russian designers, too. I think some clothes are in Comme's or MM's aesthetic.

What I liked is moscow people (and I) waited more than an hour in almost -20C to entry the Pushkin museum, hehe. I saw no sign of Chanel or Dior there, tho.

And I have to add that almost everybody here in Poland thinks that the SU was devil.

13-04-2004
slightly dizzy

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Apr 13th, 2004 - 3:51 pm
She's in love with Russia.
Was, she died a bit more than two years ago.

It was like national mourning.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
russian, street, style