How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-04-2009
backstage pass

Vancouver looks good for casual style

25-04-2009
front row

nice

07-12-2009
backstage pass

i'm from vancouver too and find that the fashion scene here is a huge bore, especially compared to cities like NYC, London, Tokyo etc... but i have to admit it's gotten better, slowly but surely. i think that it's due to mass media exposure to things that celebrities are wearing, and the wealth of info/pictures available on the internet (blogs, forums etc) that have helped the creative juices here a bit. but it's definitely a 'westcoast' lifestyle--really casual, sporty, outdoorsy and comfy.

i'm definitely down for a vancouver TFS meet! it would be nice to meet some more fashion-minded people

scenester

Vancouver Style
I'm also from Vancouver, and I do find that fashion here is a bland. I haven't lived in other cities long enough to compare.

With that in mind, I notice alot of older people living in Burnaby still wearing color blocking 80s nylon puffer jackets in purple and turquise.

There is Roden Gray in Vancouver that sells Comme des Garcons Play, but even that is really tame, and the "experimental lab" section at Holts, which is supposed to be an avant-garde selection is really just full of minimalist black or distressed plaid shirts.

Vancouverites are afraid to take risks? I don't know, I wish we were more like Toyko

01-05-2010
scenester

Vancouver blog
Here is another Vancouver style Blog since the Commodified ended.

http://sartorialvancouver.blogspot.com/

22-06-2010
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kora View Post
^That's a bit depressing as I might be living there in about one year. You guys will be my one fashion source in Vancouver
Don't women shop at Holt's or the Chanel, Gucci,etc boutiques?
Do you think that has to do with lack of fashion influence? or economy?
It defo has nothing to do with economy as this city is very wealthy. Vancouver is known to be laid back when it comes to fashion,. I for one find that VERY refreshing. People don't try to hard here, yet express themselves without doing it in a 'flashy' way.

26-06-2010
front row

Vancouver is def more of a laid back city and there seems for the most part to be a 'uniform' as people tend to shop at the same stores, but there are totally pockets of the population that dress really well. Vancouver is an expensive city to live in so the economy has nothing to do with the fashion, it's just more of an outdoor-sy boho lifestyle. I used to live in Van and worked on robson and not a day would go by that I wouldn't see a really cool fashionable outfit walk by, it's just about keeping your eyes open for it.
And Kora, don't be depressed about moving to B.C the whole province is beautiful, and the landscape and the people will more than make up for the lack of high fashion!

27-07-2010
windowshopping

http://communities.canada.com/vancou...e/default.aspx

here's a vancouver based street-style blog - the city has a lot more than tna and aritzia, but the fashion people are just a tad harder to find

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
street, style, vancouver