How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-08-2006
front row

Vancouver Street Style
Hi,

For those who know,

How is Vancouver's Fashion scene? Club scene? Architecture/Design scene?

09-08-2006
front row

kathy's website (?) is all I can think of for the vancouver scene kids scene. Other than that everytime I've been there it is all girls wearing Aritzia.

09-08-2006
rising star

Club scene there is a bit of a snooze. They started keeping the bars open to 4:00 AM instead of 2:00 AM because no one was going out!

10-08-2006
windowshopping

Well, Hed Kandi, I don't know how to break it to you but all three ain't that good. There are obviously some great, fashionable, creative people in Vancouver and there are some places to go and things to see, but generally, it feels like there isn't much going on, fashion or design-wise. At least compared to New York, London, Barcelona, all those amazing cities... But I'd like to think we just don't have a critical mass yet to make the cool stuff that is happening really apparent on the street.

As for clubs, there are about two that I consistently enjoy, in a city of 2 million, which I think we can all agree is a bad statistic (Shine, all the time and Honey, on Fridays, are the two I'm thinking of).

Has anyone else had a totally different experience?

12-08-2006
slow death

too much lululemon, tna & nike shox.

12-08-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass
too much lululemon, tna & nike shox.
i agree completely!

12-08-2006
scenester

too much aritzia. almost all the girls you see in vancouver wear stuff from aritizia. i don't think there's not much of a fashion scene here in van.

12-08-2006
windowshopping

I agree about the Lululemon/Aritzia thing; but if you hang out around Emily Carr and sometimes Main St there are some pretty nice looks. Nothing mind-bending but much better than the Robson clones :p

13-08-2006
scenester

that's true. there is a bit more selection in styles of clothing if you spread yourself out away from the robson scene. but!!!! in the end, i think every girl no matter which area of vancouver you spot them will most likely own at least one piece of clothing from either lululemon or aritzia.

13-08-2006
princely

Aritzia, TNA, Lululemon is everywhere, dont forget to include the sh*tty gucci and lv monogrammed fannypacks that everyone seems to think is great. The city is a bore.

14-08-2006
scenester

I think Vancouver is a great city. Yes, the club scene isn't all that hot and neither is the fashion scene. I find there to be alot of great shops though. A couple that come to mind are Richard Kidd and Komakino which carry very progressive labels. There are alot of great places to eat too. I've beeen living in Vancouver for 11 years and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

14-08-2006
V.I.P.

Some places to find local fashion designer work in Vancouver:

Block, Obakki, and Dream in Gastown
Mala Kuja in Yaletown
Eugene Choo, Barefoot Contessa, Twigg & Hottie at Main street
Ayden Gallery in Tinseltown (2nd floor), W Pender St

You can PM me if you want specific addresses.
Check fashionhigh.ca also for Vancouver fashion and fashion-related events.

IMO the fashion hasn't really reached mainstream. It's still a bit unknown/quiet. But there is a lot of stuff to see...the kinds of fashion to see is kind of all over the place, in terms of style. You might get casual printed stuff or DIY-like and ethnic-style clothing or you might even see some more odd constructions.
I can't say the design quality is top-notch. I've seen some work and it isn't really all that beautiful... It looks a bit amateur sometimes, like the colours don't go well or it's just unflattering. In fact, you can see some photos taken at this summer at Vancouver Fashion Week online--it's incredibly disappointing.

14-08-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by seychan
that's true. there is a bit more selection in styles of clothing if you spread yourself out away from the robson scene. but!!!! in the end, i think every girl no matter which area of vancouver you spot them will most likely own at least one piece of clothing from either lululemon or aritzia.

well I must confess to owning one pair of lululemon pants...but in my defense I actually did go to yoga when wearing them!

14-08-2006
rising star

Great...My boyfriend and i are moving there in the winter, doesn't sound like to most inspiring city fashion wise. Does anyone know of any local publications or styling agencies I can begin to apply to for jobs??

14-08-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaela
well I must confess to owning one pair of lululemon pants...but in my defense I actually did go to yoga when wearing them!

hahaha... ok. i must confess too. i actually own more than enough-6 to be exact-hoodies from aritzia. i couldn't help it. they're reasonably priced-too bad their material is sh!@%&*#tty. and i wanted solid colored zip-ups for the winter and when ever. i love to layer my clothes with a zip-up on top--for when it gets cold. 'cause you know, it does get kind of cold here. or maybe it's just me. i hate the cold.
teehehehe.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
street, style, vancouver