How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-01-2006
front row

Sydney
I'm not saying that ALL girls (15-20 age demographic) wear this type of the following description, but I've seen a lot of girls wear skinnies, mostly black with flip-flops (havianas, is the preferred choice), tank tops, brightly coloured and sometimes layered with beads. They might change it up a bit with a coloured headscarf or headband or some other mainstream accessory, but this would be the usual. However, since we are in summer atm, girls are starting to wear shorts, pretty much swapping the skinny jeans with short-shorts, bordering on 'hot pants'. Pretty much every third girl and her best friend wear this type of thing

28-01-2006
Midnight blooms.........

^^ Agreed. I'd really like to see more pretty dresses instead of those damn shorts!

05-02-2006
front row

My flat is in Heidelberg/Germany. That means NOT I'm living there. Although many people say it's one of the most beautiful little cities ever (o.k. I agree with that) it's also one of the most boring ones - in my opinion. No places to go etc. everything VERY tourist orientated. I have to live here for university (even if I don't study at the Heidelberg university - one of the oldest in the whole world! But that's a different story!).

As Heidelberg is the most boring city in the world the streetstyle is even worse. I fell kind of exotic and looked at if I go for a coffee e.g. You see I'm rarely here and if I'm here I leave my flat to walk my dog or do some shopping (only FOOD...) or go to work (that's the reason why I'll have to stay here...)

The Heidelbergians (mostly students) wear a kind of a students uniform. I call it the British preppy style (even if I can hardly remember seeing anyone wearing something like that in Britain).

boys/men:
  • timberland boat shoes (in summer AND winter)
  • blue jeans (mostly levi's 501)
  • ralph lauren jumpers (the ones with the little pony in ALL colours, mainly cashmere) with shirts underneath
  • barbour jacket in all colours (green, blue, brown)
  • burberry scarfs (nova check)
The brands are (as already mentioned): Barbour, Burlington, Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Levi's, Timberland, Burberry.
PLEASE don't laugh this is true i don't exxagerate!

Girls/women:

• Timberland boat shoes (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) or some shoes like tod's
  • Ralph Lauren sweaters (mainly pink, light blue, etc.)
  • Barbour jackets or some other preppy lookin black woolen coats
  • LONGCHAMP handbags in EVERY colour. You can't walk down the main street without seeing at least 20 students carrying them along

That't the university city style. It's very different in other german cities! Heidelberg is a very traditional city. The're many fraternities here and clubs and etc. You come here when your father/grandfather etc. has already studied here and normally go into the same fraternity. Many aristocrats - with no sence of individual style

I used to like that style but not if EVERYONE has it. I adopted parts of it. So I also own a LONGCHAMP les pliage Handbag but would never combine it with tods etc. I love tod's but... you know. Sometimes the lack of creativity drives me nuts.

scenester

CAlgary's very mainstream. All the girls at my school look like American Eagle or Old Navy mannequins and labels are very big. Lululemon, TNA...GROSS ! I'm one of the few "fashion forward" girls but I get my fair share of disdainful looks. Maybe it's the short hair... ONce you get out of the city limits you get a lot of cowboys. Every few times, the main newspaper will feature a profile on a stylish Calgarian in their REal Life section. It's all very relative as far as innovation goes...

Last edited by Ace of Spades; 05-02-2006 at 11:16 PM.
08-02-2006
windowshopping

Guys - Super Tight Shirts. We're Getting Over The Baggy Pants Phase, Thank God.

Girls - Skirts With Leggings. Lots Of Camo Lately. Uggs Everywhere. Double Belts. Bright, Electric Colors. Lots Of Necklaces And Layered Polos Too

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsethereal
we have a "uniform" in my city for all girls ages ten to twenty-five: abercrombie sweatshirt over hollister t-shirt, hollister or american eagle jeans, for shoes either flip flops (despite the fact it may be snowing outside), or fake UGG boots/slippers, or raggedy old american eagle knockoff birkenstocks. complemented by a knockoff LV or lately a knockoff Chloé bag (and none of these girls even know how to PRONOUNCE Chloé). if you don't wear this, you're not "cool". it's great fun; i love my town. yup. no one has personal style, but it's pretty much impossible for most people to have any because all we have store-wise in our area is abercrombie, hollister, and american eagle. no good vintage or thrift stores even. it's bad.

I Totally Forgot About The Knockoff AE Birkenstocks. Those Too

windowshopping

I live in Sydney, and all you see these days is girls dragging around their hot pink Supre bags that they snagged for free while shopping for tacky clothing. Aside from that, leggings seem to be popular, and a growing number of people have started wearing the whole tank top, shorts and sunnies combo.

10-02-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.jade

The Heidelbergians (mostly students) wear a kind of a students uniform. I call it the British preppy style (even if I can hardly remember seeing anyone wearing something like that in Britain).

boys/men:
  • timberland boat shoes (in summer AND winter)
  • blue jeans (mostly levi's 501)
  • ralph lauren jumpers (the ones with the little pony in ALL colours, mainly cashmere) with shirts underneath
  • barbour jacket in all colours (green, blue, brown)
  • burberry scarfs (nova check)
The brands are (as already mentioned): Barbour, Burlington, Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Levi's, Timberland, Burberry.
PLEASE don't laugh this is true i don't exxagerate!

Girls/women:
  • Timberland boat shoes (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) or some shoes like tod's
  • Ralph Lauren sweaters (mainly pink, light blue, etc.)
  • Barbour jackets or some other preppy lookin black woolen coats
  • LONGCHAMP handbags in EVERY colour. You can't walk down the main street without seeing at least 20 students carrying them along

That't the university city style. It's very different in other german cities! Heidelberg is a very traditional city. The're many fraternities here and clubs and etc. You come here when your father/grandfather etc. has already studied here and normally go into the same fraternity. Many aristocrats - with no sence of individual style

I used to like that style but not if EVERYONE has it. I adopted parts of it. So I also own a LONGCHAMP les pliage Handbag but would never combine it with tods etc. I love tod's but... you know. Sometimes the lack of creativity drives me nuts.
that is the way the rich kids dressed at my school (not Germany), all being happy that there exists 'no' school uniform. a lot of them study/ied econmics, so that poor university is still polpulated by hundreds of people who dress exactly like that.

Last edited by Lilliana; 10-02-2006 at 03:35 PM.
11-02-2006
adi
fashion insider

h&m, h&m, h&m and once again h&m. that's vaasa mainly

12-02-2006
windowshopping

kids in my city, hong kong uh - the range is just huge.

generally, for girls, it'll be shorts with leggings 24/7, unmatched mix&matching, converse. in another word, very japanese. oh, and boho these days.

on the other hand for guys, it's basically tight jeans ( ) and converse. and they just all happen to like vest jackets, you know with a t-shirt inside.

17-02-2006
windowshopping

I live in San Francisco, so there is definitely a wide range. Preppy, ghetto, vintage, hippie, straight-out-of-laguna beach, boho, sporty, soccer moms, legally blonde-style, business suits, every decade can be seen within a 1 block radius. We see it allllll.

17-02-2006
V.I.P.

hipster boys : long dirty messy hair, band t shirts, ripped jeans.... how original....!

18-02-2006
windowshopping

I live in a wealthy community in Ohio, and basically everyone I come across in the 14-20 range dresses the same. It's all Abercrombie and Hollister; whatever's on the racks in those stores. So unoriginal, and it's rare to see someone being adventurous with their own style. The Victoria's Secret PINK sweats tucked into Ugg boots look is unfortunately a trend as well. Purses are mostly from Coach and Dooney & Bourke.

26-02-2006
front row

so im in burlington ontario canada...honeslty, at my school there's only about 6 of us who have a sense of style. i go to a private school so we have to wear uniforms, but we have one day a month to wear normal clothes, and everyone just comes in like track pants and big hoodies. its all hollister abercrombie and american eagle. **** I HATE IT. in some ways in glad, because i have no competition. its 3 of us stylish guys and 3 stylish girls haha.

1st pic is me and with my friend marc, not exactly the most stylish person, but he definetly has his own sense of style and doesnt listen to anyone.

2nd is my friend leigh, shes always in frye boots and clothes she makes herself.

3rd is me with my friend lora, shes definetly the most stylish person i know. shes always on the verge of whats happening.

4th is me..just hangin lol

5th is my best friend kait, she knows how to dress. she knows how to mix expensive with cheap. like in that pic..shirt was $6, top was $20 and the boots were $300

6th is me again..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5101.jpg (43.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg haha!.jpg (37.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5114.jpg (50.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 13180232_43159486_0.jpg (11.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 13751770_45043591_0.jpg (10.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 6.jpg (71.1 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by raphy; 26-02-2006 at 12:54 PM.
03-03-2006
tfs star

Argh! New Zealand? 14 year olds? Style?

My peers cannot dress themselves. I am serious. Most girls are wearing flared, light-wash jeans with pink singlet tops and puffy shoes, their straightened hair and big eye makeup. The ones who have some vague sense of style are wearing black skinny jeans with tshirts. I bought brighttt blue skinny jeans (so what if I'm crazy?) and everyone's like 'ZOMG U R A LYK A FREAK LOLLL'. I have to source stylish friends from many other schools.

Boys? Oh, don't get me started. I know a grand total of ONE stylish boy. ONE.

Argh, stupid location.

-G.

Pee Ess. Sorry for the whine.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
city, style