How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-11-2005
follow the lights

Quote:
are you kidding?? i have a few stylish friends and i live in burlington, On. a random suburb. you cant generalize like that. did you not see my pics up on page 2? there IS style and there ARE fashionable people in canada, because i AM one of them.

MUST... HOLD... BACK....

Damn i would have flamed you if i was in a bad mood, but i'm just laughing now

there ARE fashionable people in canada, because i AM one of them. <--

02-11-2005
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baizilla

MUST... HOLD... BACK....

Damn i would have flamed you if i was in a bad mood, but i'm just laughing now

there ARE fashionable people in canada, because i AM one of them. <--
lol calm down bai...damn it looks like mild mannered, friendly TFS baizilla is transforming back into cocky, sarcastic supertalk baizilla

I have always preferred Baizilla as a villain

02-11-2005
follow the lights

No if i was the old one.. i would have made some nasty comments.. now i'm just keeping myself out of trouble..

02-11-2005
V.I.P.

I live close to Houston and people where I live dress pretty casual like Abercrombie, american eagle, etc.. but you have some in the mix that dress in vintage clothes but for the most part it's yawwnnn...:p

Deep Red Bells

Where I live almost all the girls look so cheap. Who are these 12 y.o.'s parents? And why do they let them leave the house like that?

For the most part it's a very lame and super trendy suburb of Boston. I don't see too many people that catch my eye, and if someone does it's usually someone alot older than me.

02-11-2005
Ítre ton cygne noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by so_jealous
Canada... things don't change at all. trends or stylish individuals practically don't exist.
Okay, I completely disagree.
I live in Winnipeg, and sure I guess a LOT of people do look rather dull and conservative, but it all depends where you hang out. I've been to shows, and have been to certain cafes, where I see nothing but very stylish, uniquely dressed people.

02-11-2005
V.I.P.

home home: two styles that are pretty common are LV or gucci bags and some bebe/forever 21 hoochie-wear...and also lots of melie bianco-ish hobos and coach bags... abercrombie/hollister clothing...

here: khaki/black/grey/brown/army green all together in one outfit...BOOTS... longchamp, gerard darel and hermes or hermes-y bags... dark blazers... big pashmina scarves... unkempt OR overfried hair and orange skin.

02-11-2005
windowshopping

Yes Broken...I have already ranted and raved on the topic of children's clothes. Where is the outrage? And who is going to start the revolution? Imagine being a mother!

As far as a more interesting style is concerned, I have observed that young people are still floundering about searching for a style, and while they do this, they tend to be sheep-like. I mean, how else can you account for the popularity of UGGS? Sheep-like!
Most young people, it seems, just want to fit in and not stick out in the crowd. But there is originality out there...you'll probably find at the artsy-fartsy table in the cafeteria or at an art school. I think it is the basic anxiety of post adolescence that breeds conformity. That, and the globalization of mass market fashion that most people can really afford. Are you going to spend five hundred dollars on a pair of shoes that you can't walk in? Just say no and dress sensibly for the weather and the activity!

backstage pass

people here have absolutely no style. They just buy what the magazines tell them too. You really won't see anything other than Juicy Couture, holliser, abercrombie, and forever 21 type stores. soo boring. people are still wearing uggs and i've seen a few cowboy boots. gross.

02-11-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by so_jealous
Canada... things don't change at all. trends or stylish individuals practically don't exist.
I don't post here very often, but I'm from Toronto, and as everyone else has stated above, stylish people DEFINITELY do exist here in Canada. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Toronto, but, we have places like Kensington Market with stores that stay in business solely on customers interested in buying vintage. Clearly there is a market here for interesting clothing... If you sit in a cafe on Queen St. West past Spadina, you're almost guarenteed to see people who are undeniably stylish. Even in Yorkville, if you look past all of the trendy girls shopping at Aritzia, you're sure to see someone who is knowledgeable about what's happening in fashion at the moment and shows it.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though; I've seen my fair share of people that you mentioned above (ex. Aritzia girls) ... It's just that there are so many people here who deserve credit...

lol. I can't believe I just replied to that... There are so many things that are more important in the world than making sure Canadians get credit for being stylish... But that's okay...

03-11-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosette
Okay, I completely disagree.
I live in Winnipeg, and sure I guess a LOT of people do look rather dull and conservative, but it all depends where you hang out. I've been to shows, and have been to certain cafes, where I see nothing but very stylish, uniquely dressed people.
I have been to shows, dingy bars and I am familiar with the "scene". I don't consider them anymore stylish to be truthful BUT definitely beyond better than the regular pedestrian. It really becomes extremely generic after a while that its just boring. The uniform basically consists of chuck taylors/checkered vans, retro tee, emo glasses, sweeping bangs, dirty crazy hair and/or 80s hair.

Also it seems like people have strongly disagreed with me on the unstylish aspect of Canada. But I guess my idea of stylish is different from everyone else which is something original and distinctive. (like Chloe Sevigny) I saw this girl in Nylon recently with retro white sunglasses, black tee, shorts, black tights and black round toe pumps. If I could look like that I would but its too cold now. oh..canada...

03-11-2005
windowshopping

it has nothing to do with Canada..stylish people can be found everywhere and people that dont put as much importance in clothes aswell (and its all right..its an interest like an another..maybe the girl who's wearing an orange turtle neck with green sweats cured a rare form of cancer and can cook like a godess..) and then you can go to East village and see horrible outfits all day..then travel to Saint Elias of Caxtonville Canada and see a Chloe Sevigny hanging out in the field.. but then, yes i guess that you have more chances to see gatherings of stylish people in bigger cities..anywhere..Toronto, NYC, Atlanta, Rio, Santiago, Paris..

03-11-2005
V.I.P.

maybe i'm just cranky, but i have seen very few stylish people even here in paris... the most stylish people i've seen were in new york city.

03-11-2005
V.I.P.

there's starting to be a HELL lot of hipsters in montreal, especially in the st laurent - prince arthur type of neighbourhood......all looking the same....

03-11-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmix
maybe i'm just cranky, but i have seen very few stylish people even here in paris... the most stylish people i've seen were in new york city.
I would have to agree with you there, I was expecting incredible clothes. Nothing really special, I see those outfits everyday. I think London is very stylish esp since I saw a woman wearing a white Chanel dress on the street with a black and white boucle jacket, incredible.

My city is getting pretty stylish, now it's conservative chic rather than conservative clunky. Like a beige tweed suit with a red bag and shoes.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
city, style