How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting / Streetstyle
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-11-2005
windowshopping

yup... hahahaa

and i always wonder why people are surprised about hipsters looking the same ..i guess every style like the idea of being all unique and special..and thats allright i guess

try to imagine someone on the street that would look totally unlike everybody else..is it achievable and if it looks nice, for how long is that person gonna be alone ? who copies from who? i agree that there is trendsetters..but then , there cant be that many right ?

i just think its about being able to appropriate trends and styles..i like some of the hipsters's looks cause they seem to have fun with their clothes and really have it down..some others just dont..i agree..they buy the whole package and throw it all together..

hey but thats my own opinion..and maybe i only take clothes seriously every other day..:p

03-11-2005
scenester

Anything from AE and Hollister.

07-11-2005
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimkhuu
there's starting to be a HELL lot of hipsters in montreal, especially in the st laurent - prince arthur type of neighbourhood......all looking the same....
I know !!! I went shopping there the other day, they were like clones ! We almost felt like weird aliens because both our styles are simple and chic, nothing too "trendy".

07-11-2005
Ítre ton cygne noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by so_jealous
I have been to shows, dingy bars and I am familiar with the "scene". I don't consider them anymore stylish to be truthful BUT definitely beyond better than the regular pedestrian. It really becomes extremely generic after a while that its just boring. The uniform basically consists of chuck taylors/checkered vans, retro tee, emo glasses, sweeping bangs, dirty crazy hair and/or 80s hair.

Also it seems like people have strongly disagreed with me on the unstylish aspect of Canada. But I guess my idea of stylish is different from everyone else which is something original and distinctive. (like Chloe Sevigny) I saw this girl in Nylon recently with retro white sunglasses, black tee, shorts, black tights and black round toe pumps. If I could look like that I would but its too cold now. oh..canada...
Understood, and agreed, but I wasn't referring to "scene" style at all, nor did I even mention it. I find that just as dull and generic nowadays. I was talking about people who really seem to know who they are and what they like when it comes to their style - hence why I said uniquely dressed.

08-11-2005
backstage pass

Birmingham (UK) and Leicester (UK) are two cities that, IMO, are emerging for street credibility. The Bullring Shopping Centre (Birmingham) has certainly helped bring out the fashionable people. But I have noticed, that many of them are either students(not from Brum) or regular shoppers who have come from other cities. When I am in Brum or Leicester, I am constantly looking at people wear. It's so inspiring!

The Japanese way of dressing has had an influence as there are many trendy Japanese/Korean/Chinese in the UK.

Next time I visit these places I will take photos. Hopefully I won't be considered a stalker! It's kinda embarrasing to take photos of strangers.

Fade to Black-take photos of HK style please! It sounds so interesting.

Last edited by missy-t1; 08-11-2005 at 06:01 PM.
08-11-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by so_jealous
Montreal however, is where my heart belongs. Maybe its the fact that you guys speak French but damn are you stylish people. I was in Chinatown and you Montrealers dress well.
montreal of course is the fashion/hipster capital of canada and has always been...toronto is a big market but its so conservating and boring and it translates into the way people dress. montreal is like a huge life-loving party animal.

*hands out invitation to montreal streetstyle thread *

Last edited by Boluda; 08-11-2005 at 10:52 PM.
08-11-2005
fashion elite

it's kind of hard to describe Melbournes style...but i know we are one of the most fashionable states in Australia aside from Sydney..they call Melbourne the Fashion Capital.
Our styles range from Boho, to eighties semi punk with the tight black jeans tucked into boots..with tight tops and slouch bags...to really glam pretty dresses...and really sexy sandals....and thongs..major fashion item i love them....and soo may more styles.....alot of vintage i see too....
really hard to explain..you'd have to see it...lol...hmm..i wasn't much help in describing our cities style ey!!..lol

rising star

The style in Bergen varies a lot; lots of Converse All Stars, stripy tops, jeans, but this pic is very representative; wellingtons, hooded weatherproof jacket; Bergen is the city where it rain the most in Norway. I mean, it really rains ALOT!

These wellingtons from Ilse Jacobsen are quite popular:

09-11-2005
backstage pass

^ oh i really wanted those.. but they didn't have them in my size so then I gave up and now I'm got stuck with these. I spent weeks looking for wellingtons in ONE, simple color and ended up with the most colorful ones of all

1-291-150.gif

09-11-2005
backstage pass

photo from Viking btw

09-11-2005
jue
scenester

here and here, kind of boring imo. these pictures are quite old too, from september/october.

09-11-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish
Where I live almost all the girls look so cheap. Who are these 12 y.o.'s parents? And why do they let them leave the house like that?

For the most part it's a very lame and super trendy suburb of Boston. I don't see too many people that catch my eye, and if someone does it's usually someone alot older than me.
Just curious what suburb, I am from Newton.

Champagne taste on a beer budget...
09-11-2005
front row

I live in Chicago, and people dress horribly boring. Either skanky cheap crap thats a knockoff of what was popular last year, or abercrombie. And the ones that try to be hip just look blah. I hate it. And women hardly wear any makeup here, everyone goes au naturel, and really shouldnt...

Champagne taste on a beer budget...
09-11-2005
backstage pass

I live close to Telluride,so the people there are mostly tourists walking around in ski boots and parkas.

10-11-2005
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamboatannie
I live in Chicago, and people dress horribly boring. Either skanky cheap crap thats a knockoff of what was popular last year, or abercrombie. And the ones that try to be hip just look blah. I hate it. And women hardly wear any makeup here, everyone goes au naturel, and really shouldnt...
Exactly. Especially if you go to high schools. At least in mine everyone seems to be a copy of each other. Of course there are those girls that like try really hard to dress nice, but they end up combining all the trends and that just doesn't look right. The bussiness women and just older women in general are pretty boring too; they stick to the traditional bussiness suits. There are, of course, exceptions. This is only from what I see as I'm on the L and in school.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
city, style