How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-05-2008
V.I.P.

decadentdiamond what do you mean by niche...

i never thought of a niche in fashion illustration...

22-05-2008
rising star

Hmm yes, I think that was the wrong word to use! .. Style is better, he helped me find my style in illustrating. Like, he has a very distinctive style (in my opinion) .. I think I could easily identify his work.

23-05-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentdiamond View Post
He was my tutor too!! He's really great isn't he? I thought my portfolio was quite good, but boy was I wrong! He spent so much time with my class, giving advice on our portfolios to have them ready for when we graduated (last year) and I ended up starting my portfolio all over again (about 6 fashion collections)... and he completely helped me find my niche when it came to illustrating my designs and ideas.. honestly, my portfolio would be so rubbish if it wasn't for him.

richard gray was your tutor? great....where and what were you studying???

23-05-2008
rising star

At the University of Westminster, I graduated last year in a degree in Fashion Design. Why, was he your tutor too!?

23-05-2008
front row

no no, i just didn't know that he was/is a tutor at any university...it sounds great to have such a good and famous illustrator to teach you

06-09-2008
V.I.P.

nice post by pinksofa..
about illustrator maurgerite sauvage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksofa View Post
yeah - she's got her very own style - and she is very nice. on her blog (http://margueritesauvage.com/blog/) she often explains how she puts her illustrations together and how she works with clients - very sweet to let us look behind the scenes, i think!

08-09-2008
front row

there is also another helpful site: the one of illustrator alexandra compain tissier (http://www.alexandracompaintissier.com/) - in her note books she collects sketches, mails from clients etc. - very interesting...

Eat me, drink me

^ thanks for those, pinksofa.

scenester

Fashion Illustration?
Hi, I tried looking around and coudln't find another relevant topic, so here goes...

I have a few questions about fashion illustration and I was hoping to get some opinions:

Is there enough demand for it? Or are all the books just trying to hype up a dying art?
Are there any colleges who have good courses that relate to it? In the UK, preferably.
Any other information?

Or should I just give up and try something else? I like the idea of mixing fashion and art, but I think working with textiles wouldn't get me very far...

Thank you.

06-03-2009
V.I.P.

Theads merged ... please so a search of thread titles first.

07-05-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentdiamond View Post
He was my tutor too!! He's really great isn't he? I thought my portfolio was quite good, but boy was I wrong! He spent so much time with my class, giving advice on our portfolios to have them ready for when we graduated (last year) and I ended up starting my portfolio all over again (about 6 fashion collections)... and he completely helped me find my niche when it came to illustrating my designs and ideas.. honestly, my portfolio would be so rubbish if it wasn't for him.

ha, he teaches me now too..maybe I know one of you? He's an amazing, patient teacher and has taught me so much about illustration. Plus he has a pretty good collection of clothes

I get the feeling most fashion illustrators are freelance and get commissioned. For instance - the illustrated Prada short film made last year was commisioned but I cant think who by ha
I'm pretty sure Richard Gray used to have a contract with the Observer magazine to illustrate their weekend magazine.

front row

I'm a student majoring in Illustration/Motion Graphics Design track at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena. This was an alternate decision I made because I REALLY wanted to do fashion illustration, but the industry for it is very undefined (yet there's been a definite link between illustration-to-fashion and vise-versa)...

Ever since Fashion Photography essentially replaced Fashion Illustration, the need for illustrators in the fashion industry declined greatly. Fashion illustrators created croquis for fashion houses. They'd illustrate couture and pret-a-porter for clients who weren't able to travel to the show. It'd often come with the fabrics included with the illustration. But with the internet and tighter communication world wide, the role of the fashion illustrator declined yet again.

Fashion illustration nowadays is more based solely on the illustrators aesthetic and capturing the identity of the fashion designer/look. A lot of contemporary fashion illustrators are essentially multi-talented designers in other genres of design (such as graphic design, advertising, typography, layouts, etc) who happen to have a refined aesthetic for fashion-drawing.

In my experience, it's rare to find a job that is just fashion illustration...

On the sidenote: I LOVE Richard Gray's work, you're so lucky to have worked with him! And the illustrator that worked with Prada in her spring/summer 2008 collection is JAMES JEAN (in the contemporary illustration/design world, he's pretty popular! And his work def inspires everything I do...)

Last edited by neonsprinkles; 26-12-2009 at 07:14 AM.
05-03-2010
front row

I can't believe this : I emailed a magazine (I don't know if I'm allowed to say the name) asking them if they need an illustrator and they answered that THEY are asking ME money to put an advertorial (WHATT???) in their last page ... what made them think I would care about a silly AD?? And they asked for 500 GBP (special offer from only 8.000 GBP)
What is wrong with this world ?
Do they actually think it would help me launch my career? they must be delusional
=(
I'm depressed because of all this.

front row

I can't get a job in fashion illustration.
I'm desperate.
What's wrong with magazines nowadays ?
I am 1 week away from making my own website and complete portfolio... which magazines could accept them ?
not even ILOVEFAKE answered me back =(
so so sad

fashion icon

^maybe you can branch out and become more of an artist instead...like showing your drawings at galleries and such.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
career, fashion, illustration