How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-03-2010
front row

My country does not have buying power in art
I need a freelancing job, or anything that doesn't involve my country
Thank you anyway, MUXU
I appreciate your taking the time to give me a possible way out

05-03-2010
fashion icon

^aw, no problem. but i think perhaps approaching galleries even outside of your country is good. there are many small galley firms all over the world in bigger cities. i think recently there has been a boom in the interest of buying artwork that are personal and affordable. and perhaps for fashion savvy women who may never afford a £10,000 garment can satisfy their dream by buying an original artwork of the garment instead for £300 and hang it in their boudoir. i mean, if it is me, i would do that haha.
anyways, if you do that, you will just have to figure out your target market who shares the same aesthetic as you. there is a niche market for everything

Last edited by MUXU; 05-03-2010 at 11:38 AM.
05-03-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle M View Post
I can't believe this : I emailed a magazine (I don't know if I'm allowed to say the name) asking them if they need an illustrator and they answered that THEY are asking ME money to put an advertorial (WHATT???) in their last page ... what made them think I would care about a silly AD?? And they asked for 500 GBP (special offer from only 8.000 GBP)
What is wrong with this world ?
Do they actually think it would help me launch my career? they must be delusional
=(
I'm depressed because of all this.
Don't let it get you down. They obviously don't need an illustrator.

But it does sound like they might prey on people by offering them an "opportunity" to pay for an ad. This might not even be a legitimate magazine ... like so many web sites that promise models "exposure" if they just pay for a profile.

But, it might just be a legit magazine who sells advertising. In fact ... that is how magazines make money ... they don't even cover their costs by selling subscriptions. It's always about selling ad space ... even at Vogue. So it might just be a standard reply to everyone .... I can't tell.

Last edited by BetteT; 05-03-2010 at 04:48 PM.
05-03-2010
front row

It's Flaunt Magazine ... I understand they don't need one, I just don't know who to email anymore, I would be so happy to get even 20 dollars per illustration...
But thank you for your nice answer, Bette T, I'll try to stay strong and persevere, maybe one day I'll get very very good at this and I'll be a bit more known ... I'm sure there's room for others, and not just Danny Roberts
Still.... even if I had the money to pay them (though it's a ridiculous amount) , I really doubt it would get me a lot of clients , so it's quite mean of them.

front row

I'm sorry I meant FAULT magazine , not flaunt *blush*

rising star

I have a quick question to ask you aspiring and established fashion illustrators (or anyone with experience) on this forum:
I recently met with a friend of a friend who's been looking for someone to produce some illustrations for her new website (she's a stylist- just starting out). My friend got me in contact with her because she knew I could draw and study fashion design.
Her friend has asked me to do 5 illustrations for her website (just people in her outfits, shouldn't take me too long but I'll definitely be putting a lot of effort into them).

My question is: how much do you think I should charge?

I've done some professional illustration for a marketing company in the past who paid quite well, but this job is especially beneficial for me 'cause I'll be credited for my work on her page and I can put the finished product on my own page to showcase the commission.

You can take a look at my work HERE.

I was thinking maybe... $40-$50 an illustration? So $250 total. Does that sound standard?

27-05-2010
Fashion Designer

Charging for your own work or for that matter marketing yourself are two of the most difficult things ive encountered in my career. But i would reccomend you to look at how much your peers are charging or at least how much are people in the business charge, on etsy, ebay for example. Take in mind the technique you are using, the time youll spend not only drawing but doing research or else and see if the price meets the time and materials you spend on it and the amount of profit you are making fit the price you gave.

21-01-2011
windowshopping

where to offer pics?
does somebody know whats the best way how to promote yourself (without invesment)?
is it worth to show your work by email to designers ,promotional companies,magazines,or agencies?

also i would like to make my pics for postcard or sell them somewhere but dont know where.

i am just beggining drawing for couple months so i just have about 20 pics,and i feel iam going better with each one,and hope one time to be next T.Perez or Downtown,they r realy masters and inspirational ,but there s lot stuff to learn so i bet is good to start as apprenticeship with low paid,but dont know how much,i'd be happy for anything

Last edited by BetteT; 21-01-2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: No self promotion or links allowed, except in the one "share your work thread" see rules pinned in the Announcements forum
08-02-2011
front row

I've just decided I want to be a fashion illustrator (and a painter, me real dream). I'm currently working on creating a good portfolio and finding a personal style. I'll upload my work in as many sites as I find. Then mi idea is to show my curriculum at editorials, designers, magazines, etc...to find any job.
When i find my first job I'll pots it here!!

08-02-2011
front row

danny79, I think it's worth trying to send your work. To avoid copyright issues I intend to watermark my works when sending them to magazines, ads, designers, etc...

08-02-2011
windowshopping

How to find an agent?
I am currently interning for a high profile illustrator who is on the hunt for an agent. My newest assignment is researching different agents (a plus if they represent an illustrator). Does anyone have any advice on where I can begin? Or any recommendations on agencies? I'm not sure as to where to even begin looking

front row

Sorry I have no idea but if you find something please let me know 'cos i'm also an illustrator (starting my career)
I plan on sending my curriculum with a link to my online portfolio to some magazines and designers but i have no idea how agencies work or where to find them.

09-02-2011
still here

start looking at the websites of your employers' competitors (other illustrators). look around and probably some of them in their "contact me" section have information about contacting their agent. you'll gather some names, find some common ones, and then you can continue your research.

09-02-2011
V.I.P.

I am merging this with the "Fashion Illustration as A Career" thread. I am assuming that your boss is a fashion illustrator ... since this forum is about fashion careers not other artistic professions.

Prfect advice from mundodabolsa ... often the contact info on their sites or in their marketing and press releases goes directly to thier agency rather than the artist himself.

But you might look here, too ... because it's likely that Creative Agencies that rep fashion photogs, stylists, makeup artists, might also rep fashion illustrators ... you should check these out, too: Creative Agencies that Represent Stylists, Photographers, Makeup Artists, Etc.

Last edited by BetteT; 09-02-2011 at 12:52 PM.
10-02-2011
windowshopping

Yes, she is a fashion illustrator.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
career, fashion, illustration