About Modeling Schools and Online Sites for Models... Should I Spend the Money? - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion

31-10-2004
xnplo

About Modeling Schools and Online Sites for Models... Should I Spend the Money?
Has anybody had any experience (positive and negative) with the JRP school? Thank You!

31-10-2004
FC5
scenester

modeling + school = scam

01-11-2004
windowshopping

hey,,,listen amanda moore advice
http://www.ugo.com/channels/girlfriends/ex...articleID=10557
http://www.ugo.com/channels/girlfriends/ex...articleID=10573

01-11-2004
rising star

There's nothing really wrong with Modeling School, if you can well afford it (really well afford it). It wont hurt to get some additional training in walking, makeup, fashion terms and what not. It doesn't hurt, but it doesnt give you any edge over the other girls at the agency open call. They are going to go with the girl with the right look, and if they love her, the agency trains you on everything you need to know. I'm against it all together, but I know it builds confidence in some girls before they hit the agencies.

01-11-2004
front row

I felt like it was an unnecessary expense (I have very little $$$ of my own) and turned them down. There's other stuff you could use the money for later on and like FunkyDiva said, your agency helps you figure out the details once they take you on.

All of my friends who went to the classes got very little if anything out of them and none of them are still modeling.

08-11-2004
windowshopping

Don't waste your money. I would say that the majority of working models didn't go to modeling schools.

01-08-2005
Unveil Yourself....

Modeling Schools
Out of curiosity, what happens there? What do you learn and how? Is it a recognised form of schooling all around the world or even just in one country? This whole termination of 'modeling school' is one big black hole to me, so perhaps someone how's been there or knows how it works can fill me in on the how's and why's? It might be helpfull to other members too!

Thanks!

Plus, mods, if this falls under fashion schools, feel free to merge in the big thread in that one.

twitter.com/ErikP87
01-08-2005
V.I.P.

Oh boy ... don't get me started! I work in this world of models and photo shoots. Here's my very strong opinion:

Modeling schools are usually mostly a way for people to make a lot of money from "wannabe's" who don't have the look and could never be a model anyway.

If a girl (or a guy) has the right stats and right look, they can walk into a fashion or commercial modeling agency and get signed on the spot. The agency does not care if they have any training or not. The first thing they will do is arrange to have the new model "test" ... which means start working with one or more professional photograhers to get images for her new portfolio ... which in turn will get her work. It's pretty simple .. and most models learn as they test (which they are encouraged to do often with agency approved photographers). Sometimes the model will pay the photographer, makeup/hair artist and some times a fashion stylist, but more often than not, if she's gorgeous, most photographers and their team will do it free and give her prints to use in her portfolio.

About the only thing a model might need to learn is to walk the runway ... but most models don't ever make it to the runway, anyway ... unless they are really tall and skinny. Her agent might arrange a few classes like that ... but never in a "modeling school". Makeup, hair and styling are all done for her on most paid shoots, so she doesn't even need to know that ... unless she's a promotional model, which is really just a pretty girl handing things out at conventions and things like that. In that case, she has to prep herself for the gig. But most pretty girls already know how to put on makeup, fix their hair and find a sexy dress.

So no ... modeling school is not only unecessary, it's a waste of money! A new model must spend a lot of money on her portfolio and comp cards so her agency can market her ... she doesn't need to be spending it here.

The only time I would recommend a modeling school to a young lady is if she's feeling awkward about girly things, wants to learn how to look prettier and needs to learn some poise and confidence. But that's not the girl that can model, anyway. Modern modeling schools are the equivalent of the old fashioned "charm school".

02-08-2005
backstage pass

Modeling schools are a huge joke. They'd make me laugh if they weren't just so wrong in concept. I have two different friends who really do not have a model look at all and could probably never have a career in modeling get sucked into this scam.

They spent thousands of dollars to attend these schools for hours every weekend, cutting into their free time, and they'd learn how to apply makeup and how to walk on a runway (which I have to say, neither of these things my friends were particularaly good at even after the classes). They thought it was a good thing while they were doing it; two months later one of my friends was crying to me saying that Barbizon had told her they'd help her find jobs after she "graduated", and she hadn't heard a damn thing from them. She called them and they just avoided the subject. The other friend also had no modeling jobs and was equally upset that she had wasted her time and money with them.

Stupidest things ever.

06-08-2005
Unveil Yourself....

So generally, you learn how to put on make-up and how to walk, nothing special? I heard in an interview that Anastassia Khozzisova did modeling school and that she was picked out to go to Milan and voila, http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ght=khozzisova there she is

twitter.com/ErikP87
06-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Dale
So generally, you learn how to put on make-up and how to walk, nothing special? I heard in an interview that Anastassia Khozzisova did modeling school and that she was picked out to go to Milan and voila, http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ght=khozzisova there she is
Yeah ... and if she didn't have the right look ... she would have gone absolutely nowhere. With her looks, all she would have had to do is make the rounds to the big agencies ... someone would have picked her up, groomed her and she'd be exactly where she is today.

Modeling school had nothing to do with it. School is not necessary nor even helpful to get a girl into modeling. They exist to make money of of "wannabes" ... period!

01-11-2006
windowshopping

Pay for portfolio - yes or no?
After seeing my photos by chance I got contacted by someone who works for modelsconnect.net saying that they really want me "in their books" then going on about their business etc. At the end of the conversation, the offer come down to a professional portfolio and one-to-one discussion with their advisors, which sounded great and was supposed to "really put me out there".
Of course, the portfolio isn't free. Now, not having any modelling experience and this being one of the few times something like this happened, I was tempted.

But, me being stupid and all, I've no idea how much to trust this and whether to actually proceed with the portfolio. The photos I have now are crap quality and a professional portfolio sounds great but - hey, I am poor too.

Any advice on this? Should I say yes? Would it help me at all? Or is it not necessary at all?

01-11-2006
front row

well, if you were to walk in off the streets to a photographer, it would cost you. that being said, i don't think anyone reputable would charge for shots.

01-11-2006
front row

This is a classic scam. Don't touch it with a bargepole. If they were on the level, they would approach you as potential agents in the normal way. Putting together your book would be a part of their function, part of the service for which they would earn their commissions. Oh, sure, you would pay for the book itself, which would eventually be deducted from their initial relay to you of fees for work. But paying people to make a book/portfolio up for you and to "get it out there"? Ballocks. Who are they? Name them so that people can be warned to avoid them.

PK

01-11-2006
V.I.P.

Yeah ... this smells of a scam or at least just a photo mill that takes money from wannabe models.

Rule of thumb for aspiring models ... don't pay an agency for anything directly. And get a legit agent first before you start to pay for pictures.

Once you are repped by an agency they will expect you to build a portfolio at your own expense but they don't actually do it for you. You will probably have to buy the actual portfolio/book from them ... but they should not be involved in the photo shoot. They will guide you as to what kind of looks you will need and after your shoot, they will select the images to put in your book.

You will be given the names of one of more photographers (it's better if they give you a choice ... less chance of kickbacks). You choose your favorite and pay him/her directly. You will also have a makeup artist and sometimes a fashion stylist, too ... usually the photog has his favs.

You may also choose your own photographer ... but without experience, I don't suggest doing that in the beginning. It's too easy to end up with poor quality and/or the wrong type of photos for your portfolio. A total waste of money. A legit agency will know good shooters who can take the right kind of photos.

You should never pay the "agency" for photoshoots and building portfolios. If they take your money, they are not acting in your best interest because they are making a profit from the photos.

An agency should be using your portfolio and zed/comp cards to send out to prospective clients and then take a percentage if you get the job ... that is how they should be making their money.

Edited to add:

I just re-read your post and it sounds like you are talking about a web portfolio service. If that's the case ... its just that ... a place to put your pictures (you can do that for free on Myspace) and it's not only not necessary it's not recommended if you are working in the fashion or commercial end of modeling.

These web sites are really for "web models" who are hired by small companies who can't afford to pay real model rates and guys with cameras who are just learning to shoot and looking for freebies (called TFP's) or just guys who like to take pictures of pretty girls and are willing to pay (and some pervs and preditors too). You don't need a personal site unless you want to go it alone, on the web. And that can be very dicey. Know that agents do not search these sites to find models and well paying clients always go through agencies to book models for business reasons.

Just know that legit agencies do use the web ... look at Ford, Wilhemina etc. ... to put up pics of their models on their own sites and the client must make contact through them. Most agencies that do that, do charge a small fee for the service and it's your option. A good option nowadays since so much is done on the internet.

Last edited by BetteT; 01-11-2006 at 11:34 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
modeling, models, money, online, schools, sites, spend