How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-01-2006
crossed wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eso
HELP!! I need to have a portfolio ready for college applications before the end of february.

I've got no formal experience but I've made a number of clothes over the years and I've set up a shoot and stuff...........but I dont know what else to put in there...

any ideas anyone..........i'm a first timer so i need ALL the help i can get....thanxxx
What kind of course...fashion I presume? Can you get yourself out to do any lifedrawings before then? Get yourself along to a lifedrawing class, or can you get someone you're comfortable with to pose for you while you draw them...? You need to show you can draw not just construct, do you go to school...ask the art department for some help laying everything out...

13-01-2006
More Old Skool Than You

Portfolio question
What are the components to a good graphic design portfolio? I'm thinking logos, a couple ad campaigns, some package design, some web screenshots and some identity work. Anything I'm missing? I think 12 pages minimum, 20 pages max. What do you have/what do you look for?

etre soi-meme

^^ sufficient i'd say..
if you excel in one of those areas (packaging, ads, logos, id) just try to let this show through your portfolio, specification is good

13-01-2006
More Old Skool Than You

I think my hands skills are the best thing I have, so how would I showcase those? I was thinking of a process book, but that would really only be one project or two. Could fine art be in a portfolio without detracting or clashing with the rest?

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab_fifties_fille
What kind of course...fashion I presume? Can you get yourself out to do any lifedrawings before then? Get yourself along to a lifedrawing class, or can you get someone you're comfortable with to pose for you while you draw them...? You need to show you can draw not just construct, do you go to school...ask the art department for some help laying everything out...
Thanks, Unfortunately I'm in my final year of engineering at uni ....dunno why I didnt give it up earlier so I'm pretty much doing all the fashion college applications on my own which is why I'm soooo clueless.....I'll probably set something up....any more ideas???

thankss

22-01-2006
windowshopping

hey fourboltmain... where are you applying to get into graphic design??

23-01-2006
More Old Skool Than You

As far as location or design studios?

windowshopping

ahh i thought you were applying to a graphic design school sorry... cuz i'm currently in the second year of a four year vcd program at the university of alberta (if you have ever heard of this place haha) and am applying to go to the emily carr institute in vancouver. so for me, most of my portfolio is still mostly fine arts based things. where did you go to school?

25-01-2006
More Old Skool Than You

I go to the Art Institute of California. I have about 2 months left before I'm out! Hell yes!

Anyway, I wen tto the school to get a background in the digital aspect of art, but I still feel my hand skills are my ace in the hole. I think I'm mixing up my portfolio as half applied work, like photos of packaging and mockups or layouts and then some process and sketches. Most of the art I use on projects is my own anyway, so I'll just use those.

backstage pass

Help Portfolio Pros...
How big should a design portfolio be?

By big I mean how much should you include in it?

For Parsons for example. How many of WHAT should it include? What kind of things would they like to see...

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

08-02-2006
rising star

I have managed to get some interviews in big fashion mags about my photography and illustration. Going next week!

For the portfolio I did A3 size prints (not full page but with bit of white background round the image) and stuffed them in that highly recommended here, Muji portfolio (though my boyfriend, who is photographer too, squinted that the pics are behind the foil. Though I hate to vipe all the mounted prints from people's fingerprints before each interview!).
I have 30 samples of my work in total.
+ little leaflets (how do you call these, what models have when they go to get a job? I had something similar printed, but with pics taken by me, of course ) + nice cards with my contact details and some promotional postcards. I hope it will be enough ! And I hope thay will be actually willing to look at my website later, too!

As people here are mostly discussing fashion design portfolios, would someone direct me to a therad about photographers/illustrators portfolios if one like that exists?

What people applying for studies in photography, put in their portfolios? How do you make them, put them together? Any hints?

And GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY at your interviews! One should help luck but GOOD LUCK is welcomed too...

08-02-2006
rising star

I have ment POSTGRADUATE studies in photography, of course

08-02-2006
windowshopping

hi, sorry if this isn't relevent but im in need of decent advice. i have wanted to become a fashion designer for years now but i know how competitive it is (especially womenswear) so i dont know whether to enroll in a Fashion and Textiles ND which will focus my studies and give me a strong folio. or do alevels in art,photography and english then do a foundation year, which will give me something to fall back on. i would like to ask how highly are ND's regarded? or will it just be the portfolio that matters? please help! thank you xx

17-02-2006
Eat me, drink me

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourboltmain
What are the components to a good graphic design portfolio?

Hmm, I've been going around and around this in my head forever! I want to make the best portfolio I can, but I just can't seem to edit out the necessary/be comfortable with my choices. Also, how much work exactly would you include?

Maybe we should have a graphic design/art portfolio thread over at the art direction and graphic design board, don't you think?

Eat me, drink me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylwiasta
What people applying for studies in photography, put in their portfolios? How do you make them, put them together? Any hints?
This is what the Savannah College of Art & Design asks for in a Graduate Photography Portfolio:

"Applicants should submit 20 slides in a plastic slide sleeve. Slides must be clear and easy to read, and show accurate color value. The applicant's name should be clearly marked on each slide, and an inventory sheet identifying each piece by title or project, medium (or software/materials used), size and date of completion should be included. Images submitted in digital format shouuld be saved as high resolution JPEG files (with a file suffix of .jpg or .jpeg format), Adobe .pdf files or digital portfolios created in PowerPoint, Director, Flash of HTML. Digital portfolios should be checked to assure that links work properly and all necessary files are included. Applicants should indicate special instructions necessary for viewing digital portfolios. Multimedia content should be submitted in a platform-independent player format or in Quicktime with the file suffix labeled as .qt or .mov (.mpeg format is also acceptable). In the case of documented, professional or group projects, applicants should indicate whether he or she has printed and processed black-and-white and/or color photographs included in the portfolio. The applicant should also indicate which images, if any, have been digitally manipulated, especially if the work is submitted in CD format.

Portfolios should demonstrate significant experience in making photographs, aesthetic awareness, strong technical skills, and an in-depth and consistent investigation into a particular subject matter, aesthetic or genre."

The undergrad photography portfolio section goes on to say "the strongest portfolios are consistent in subject matter and reveal a depth of study in a particular concentration, such as landscape or portraiture."

I had the guidelines for Parsons, too, but I lost them. : /

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
applying, fashion, graduation, portfolio, school