How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-04-2006
front row

I know this is probably a very stupid question, but when I do photoshoots of my work, do I use models or mannequins?

08-05-2006
crossed wires.

I don't think that really matters, I think as long as they are legible, and sharp...and they don't have clutter or anything in the background (unless of course you're styling them and thats the 'look' you're going for)

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted to butterflies
thank you for the help, well I am not very decided as to where I should apply since I don't live in the UK and still have to do some research on schools. CSM is one of the options. Could you pleaaase tell me what life drawing is exactly? I mean..what should be the subject of the drawing? And also ..sketchbooks what exactly should be in them? Just random drawings?:p
here at the london college of fashion, our life drawing classes consist of drawing models <human> in detail for, maybe...30 mins and/or getting the model to move,slowly, while we do quick line drawing of her/him. we also draw fruits/organic stuff. study space.fabric.the shine of it.the way they fall. to drawing people on the tube. drawing a corner of your room/perspective. going to the local market and drawing stuff written down on a list.using and experimenting with different media. large scale...small scale. drawing potraits of friends. drawing our reflection as seen on a spoon or any curved object.

hope that help!!!

10-05-2006
windowshopping

Hello.. I'm a complete newbie to this website, but I would love to know some things.

I'm a junior in highschool right now, and the time is nearing that I figure out my interests and narrow my choices of colleges/uni's. For quite a while I've had a deep interest in the fashion industry: clothing, accessories, make-up, and hair.

Just recently I visited a smallscale college in a city near me, a beauty school. They have three courses available: hair styling, esthetics and fashion design. I'd had my eye on hair styling for quite a while, but once I learned more of the fashion design course, I became much more attracted to it. I'd always had a small spark of interest in designing clothing, and this just caused me to become so much more interested in it.

I want to go for it, I want to do this. But my lack of knowledge on top designers and the fashion scene gives me doubt. Do I need to know such things? I would love and appreciate any advice anyone has for me. What to practice, to research and so on.

Sorry for the long post! =[

10-05-2006
trendsetter

^ you are going to school to LEARN.... so dont worry about not being a genius on knowing about other designers.. besides you will learn how to be one yourself!!!! you could probably take a look to various designer threads here in this forum.. its really interesting and they are really great... maybe that could help you to feel less doubtly!!!

10-05-2006
trendsetter

take a look
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f60/

11-05-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollirot
Hello.. I'm a complete newbie to this website, but I would love to know some things.

I'm a junior in highschool right now, and the time is nearing that I figure out my interests and narrow my choices of colleges/uni's. For quite a while I've had a deep interest in the fashion industry: clothing, accessories, make-up, and hair.

Just recently I visited a smallscale college in a city near me, a beauty school. They have three courses available: hair styling, esthetics and fashion design. I'd had my eye on hair styling for quite a while, but once I learned more of the fashion design course, I became much more attracted to it. I'd always had a small spark of interest in designing clothing, and this just caused me to become so much more interested in it.

I want to go for it, I want to do this. But my lack of knowledge on top designers and the fashion scene gives me doubt. Do I need to know such things? I would love and appreciate any advice anyone has for me. What to practice, to research and so on.

Sorry for the long post! =[
ha ha...that's alright. well, for starters, you could always read through the different threads on designers and their collections. or you could go to the nearest magazine stand and buy some. maybe vogue or bazaar. if you like artsy fartsy stuff, try pop, i-D or maybe flaunt.

12-05-2006
crossed wires.

Hi and welcome to tFS Lollirot

I echo whats already been said...Look at some of the trends threads here in trend spotting, the designers threads in designers and collections...and just start to gather your thoughts on your likes and dislikes of all the different designers. You can also browse the shows at Style.com. Try and look past the 'typical designers' when you're searching, choose a name you havent heard before and take the time to read peoples opinions of the collections and the typical traits of certain designers. I'm not sure how old you are but when I was 16 I hadn't heard of many designers...just the typical popular household names; versace, prada etcetc. But I"ve been a member of this site for about a year and half now and it's opened my eyes to alot of different designers and it's also really developed my own personal tastes in fashion...there's alot of appealing stuff out there past the low cut glitzy stuff that we're often exposed to as 'fashion'.

windowshopping

Thanks so much everyone! =]
I really appreciate all the help you've all given me. I'll for sure take a look at all the links.

13-05-2006
backstage pass

ok, I am 16 and a sophmore in highschool. I am good at art and like fashion design. My question is what supplies do you need to put your porfolio together. I went on to Parsons' website because I want to apply there or another school in NY. Does anyone suggest any tips on how to get started with sewing. I have TONS of ideas. Right now I want to make some things I could wear

13-05-2006
windowshopping

Well, I don't know much, but you could always apply for a home ec. class in your school and take sewing modules Rightguard.

14-05-2006
backstage pass

My school doesn't offer home ec.

18-05-2006
scenester

I Need Help...
I am applying to multiple fashion schools and Parson is one of them, I am applying for the Fashion Studies program, they said I need to make a collage about a fashion concept I never made a collage only when i was in pre-K however what kind of paper should I use to put the collage on. Most likely I will have to mail it down becuase I am participating in the Walt Disney College Program during the summer through the fall won't return until the Spring (the semester I am applying for). Any suggestion would help Thanks

V.I.P.

hi, welcome tfs sanita!

my interpretation of this collage assignment is an inspiration board...basically what most deisgners will have in their studio, a bulletin board with anythign that inspires them..fabric swatches, photos, and other tchachkes...

so, mu point is that i can move this to the "inspiration" thread, and you could ask for advice there?

i'll check back in...

"...buttoned up to the breast, and made with wings, welts, and pinions on the shoulder points, as mans apparel is for all the world...and though this be a kinde of attire appropriate onely to man, yet they blush not to wear it..."
18-05-2006
More Old Skool Than You

Hmm... how about use a manila folder? That way, you can cover the inside with your stuff and it folds up nice and look professional sealed. Use a hot glue gun for fabric, and rubber cement for photos/pictures (it doesn't wrinkle). Actually, see if you can find Super 77 sprayglue by 3M at your local art store. That works wonders. Good luck. Be wild.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
applying, fashion, graduation, portfolio, school