How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-09-2006
fashion icon

i dont know if this is the right place but I'm a photographer trying to get my portfolio together...i was wondering if anyone knew where to get the leather books where your name is printed on the front??

thanks!

04-09-2006
front row

^
www.houseofportfolios.com
www.brewer-cantelmo.com

fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie C

thank you soo much!!

front row

You're welcome, it's funny 'cause I just got mine today... "Portfolio book" from House Of Portfolios, Black leather w. blind stamping. Safe choice, but I love it, looks super-pro

front row

[quote=VICTIM]they dont ask you for anything you just show what you think needs to be shown oh i think they asked for life drawing though. most of my portfolio was fine art stuff from my course you're sketches dont have to be finished infact i think they prefer them when they're rough to see how you work.[/quote

thanks victim! how many pieces did you have?

28-12-2006
windowshopping

Hi guys
I'm a sort of new here and since I was seven years old it has been my dream to become a fashion designer...now 10 years later I'm gonna try to achieve this dream and I applied to several fashion schools.
Though I know this study is "the one" for me I'm freaked out for the intake-conversations and everything.
Today I went out to buy a portfolio size A3 and I spread out all my drawings, photos, designs and all other stuff around the house. Our house is one big mess right now...it's unbelieveable what you can do in ten years :O
Anyway I know people always say you have to show your favourite works and show how large your working range with specific projects is...the problem is I don't know how many pieces my portfolio has to be...and do you think I should add my nature photography too? I hope you guys can give me some tips on everything, like how to make a descent portfolio, and intake-conversations (I'm soo nerveous for that), how I should dress on "the day".
I really wanna get in that academy but it's really hard...only 35 of the 500 applications get excepted.
I would appreciated if you could help out!!
Thanking you in advance!!

29-12-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline89
Hi guys
I'm a sort of new here and since I was seven years old it has been my dream to become a fashion designer...now 10 years later I'm gonna try to achieve this dream and I applied to several fashion schools.
Though I know this study is "the one" for me I'm freaked out for the intake-conversations and everything.
Today I went out to buy a portfolio size A3 and I spread out all my drawings, photos, designs and all other stuff around the house. Our house is one big mess right now...it's unbelieveable what you can do in ten years :O
Anyway I know people always say you have to show your favourite works and show how large your working range with specific projects is...the problem is I don't know how many pieces my portfolio has to be...and do you think I should add my nature photography too? I hope you guys can give me some tips on everything, like how to make a descent portfolio, and intake-conversations (I'm soo nerveous for that), how I should dress on "the day".
I really wanna get in that academy but it's really hard...only 35 of the 500 applications get excepted.
I would appreciated if you could help out!!
Thanking you in advance!!
I can't really answer all of your questions, but usually the school expects specific content to be included in your portfolio. They usually specify the number of drawings, and even what the drawings are of, so you really need to look into that when putting together your portfolio. Also sometimes when you submit your portfolio they don't return it, and they also sometimes accept only original drawings, so if you put in your favourites you A) probably won't get them back, and will only be able to submit them to one school.

Now I have some questions! I need to make a 10 piece portfolio type thing to apply for school, it needs to include fashion drawings, graphic design elements, two sketchbook pages, a finished garment etc. Do you think it would be better to demonstrate the full process of desiging and constructing my garment in my portfolio, or to put in a bunch of different things? Like for the graphic design they say you could make like an advertisement, or a clothing label, so I was thinking I could develop my ideas in the sketchbook pages, draw the garment for one of the fashion drawings, design a label and an advertisement for the two graphic designs, and then actually make the garment for the picture of the clothing?

rising star

I'm really curious...for everyone with these fabulous portfolios hoping to attend design school...how exactly did you learn how to do all of this? Did you take some portfolio preparation classes and fashion illustration classes? What sort of art classes did you feel was helpful (figure drawing, life drawing, fashion illustration, general drawing, etc)? The portfolios look so good O___O...how many years did it take?
As a high school sophomore, I'm a bit interested in fashion design, but I have no idea how to get started and no idea how one achieves a nice portfolio like all of yours.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorable
I'm really curious...for everyone with these fabulous portfolios hoping to attend design school...how exactly did you learn how to do all of this? Did you take some portfolio preparation classes and fashion illustration classes? What sort of art classes did you feel was helpful (figure drawing, life drawing, fashion illustration, general drawing, etc)? The portfolios look so good O___O...how many years did it take?
As a high school sophomore, I'm a bit interested in fashion design, but I have no idea how to get started and no idea how one achieves a nice portfolio like all of yours.
I'm currently on the BA Womenswear at LCF. My portfolio to get on to my current course was so thin!!! Some students had 10 pages...some had even more . I only had 6.5 pages. ha ha...in my case, as i was told at the interview, <both foundation and degree> i had qualit that quantity could never surpass. that, and the fact that i have ideas. I am mouldable.the best part, i am not super creative. I know it and they can see it. I have no splashes of paint or rips or collage or applique or whatever those super creative ppl like to do to their work. MIne is simple creativity. straight and precise. Illustrations were done with markers. front and back of garment. the only work in my portfolio that had different mediums were my lifedrawing. other than that...plain and simple for me. my course director even remembered me after i came back from summer hols!!! there are plenty of cases when they don't let students in because they know too much. They seem to like students that can be moulded into something new. so, good luck!!!

23-02-2007
rising star

I'm putting everything together for my FIT application and for a different school I put everything into a presentation book (no spiral, just a spine with 20 top-loading plastic sleeves). However, I was just reading the mail-in instructions for FIT and it notes specifically that "PORTFOLIO CASES or BINDERS of ANY KIND" should not be sent.

Does my presentation book fall into that category? How else would I submit my work? I'd appreciate any suggestions as I'm dying to just send it off ASAP!

24-02-2007
rising star

DernierCri, i think the book you described qualifies as "PORTFOLIO CASES or BINDERS of ANY KIND". Maybe you can use a portfolio or nice folder where you present your work as loose pieces ( you can obviously paste them on a cardboard, like a passepartout). i think the intention not to have them in binders, is that if they are on single cardboard, they have the possibility to hold them up or lay them out on tables for a jury to look over and decide. that is how i have experienced it in the past.

rising star

maybe you can use a cardboard portfolio like this
or even better a plastic one like this one ( i own 2 huge of the, they last and are great):
source: www.modulor.de

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by DernierCri
I'm putting everything together for my FIT application and for a different school I put everything into a presentation book (no spiral, just a spine with 20 top-loading plastic sleeves). However, I was just reading the mail-in instructions for FIT and it notes specifically that "PORTFOLIO CASES or BINDERS of ANY KIND" should not be sent.

Does my presentation book fall into that category? How else would I submit my work? I'd appreciate any suggestions as I'm dying to just send it off ASAP!
I am in the same boat as you. I am ready to send this thing off right now but I am unsure on how they really want it sent. Do they want folded pieces of paper? (I highly doubt it....but you never know) I am just really unsure...

windowshopping

Hello!

This is my first time posting on TFS, but I've been a long time reader, and I think it will be my new best friend. :p I've been reading through this thread on what to include in portfolios for work or school. My question is, would it be a negative to have one running theme in your portfolio while using different mediums, or is it best to have different themes for each project?

Oh, I'm planning on applying to the Visual Presentation & Exhibition Design program at FIT. Any help is appreciated!!

TIA!

31-10-2007
V.I.P.

I can't answer your question ... but I'd like to welcome you to tFS!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
applying, fashion, graduation, portfolio, school