How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-10-2007
rising star

Just a heads up for anyone who's applying to FIT this year... I did end up sending my portfolio with the top-loading presentation book and it was fine!

Good luck!

31-10-2007
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
I can't answer your question ... but I'd like to welcome you to tFS!!
Thanks for the welcome BetteT! Glad to be here. tFS is such a great resource, I really hope someone can shed some light on my question.

31-10-2007
fashion insider

Hey guys how do you deal with mounting fabric in the portfolio? It's obvious that you can't put it in a plastic sheet, so how do you guys take care of this? Do you give it a separate page or do you mount it with the fashion illustrations and cut out the plastic covering the fabric? I'm looking for creative ways to display fabric for the collections. Also, I work in a tactile way, how do you guys deal with bulk?? I feel like if i take out the majority of my research, then the project falls flat, you know??
I got an interview with CSM on Nov. 29th and I want to be prepared!

TWITTER:
14-05-2008
V.I.P.

I'm bumping this thread up ... I think that there are a lot of design students here that can add something and many who might have questions.

14-05-2008
fashion insider

This was the thread I was looking for! Thank you Bette!

17-05-2008
fashion insider

Hi! I'm 16 and I really adore fashion since I was a very very little boy, so I think I will apply to a fashion university for the next year. I have notice that it's important to build a portfolio, and thoug this thread has been very helpful I still have some doubts.
The first one: How many pages does the portfolio has to have? I've around 10.000 pages and I think it 's too much. Isn't it?

Last edited by Creative; 17-05-2008 at 07:29 AM.
17-05-2008
fashion insider

The second one is that because of I have keen on fashion since I was very little I have read a lot, an immense number of books soI have a very define style and I think it would be impossible to mould it... Do you think it would be a problem?

The third: Does the portfolio need some art pictures, photos... and if it's necessary to include more than fashion designs, what kind of things is nice to include?

And the last: Whar are the dates to send the registration for a uni? I would like to go for the course 09/10. Are they in march?? or in june?

Please, any help?
Thank you! Any information would very very helpful and interesting.

Last edited by Creative; 17-05-2008 at 07:31 AM.
17-05-2008
rising star

^
i believe one for August you have to apply around Jan-Feb. The reply comes in April-June
of course, this varies by school.

Portfolio requirement differs from which school you are applying to.
and like the above user said, its not good to bombard the teachers with averge designs, rather few good ones. But too few is also bad. Every school tells how many pieces they expect. just follow their guidelines and you'll be fine.

and for your 2nd question, its not a problem if you found your own style alrdy. Your one step ahead!

17-05-2008
fashion insider

Thank you LovelyDay!!!
So, do you mean that I have to apply around August?

17-05-2008
rising star

nono you apply Jan-Feb 08, to start school in August of 08.
(note: lot of univ starts accepting admission at Dec)

Overall, you gotta submit by end of Feb latest, (but make sure you check with the univ like early acceptance, starting date, closing date for admission, etc)

Last edited by ~LovelyDay~; 17-05-2008 at 11:57 AM.
17-05-2008
fashion insider

Now I can understand. Thank you very much!
I'll give you karma!

22-01-2009
scenester

Right now, I'm studying Journalism but I'm going to apply at Ryerson for their Fashion Communications program. I was looking at their application process and they ask for a 'portfolio'. The only portfolio I have right now, are photos and articles I have written for the school paper. Here's what they are looking for:

Category 1: Graphic Design (poster for a fashion event or an advertisement, garment label and business card)

Category 2: Illustration (a self portrait, a drawing of an interesting hat, a sketch of a garment you designed)

Category 3: 2 photographs of a garment you have sewn on a sewing machine.

Category 4: Your choice.

Now, my drawing skills aren't strong but they aren't weak either, but I'm worried about Category 3. I've never sewn on a sewing machine and the only time I sew is to fix up any split seams on my clothes. I don't want to get into the design aspect of the fashion industry. Can anyone give me any tips here please?

windowshopping

I want to bump this thread a little

Sorry, Dija but I simply don't know the answer to your question but I hope that someone will help you.

Searching the web I've found something... but I don't know how should I treat this advices. What do you think about it?

http://www.uen.org/Lessonplan/downlo...lio_packet.pdf

09-03-2009
scenester

Thank you for the info, Kant! The PDF has given me some ideas on how to prepare my portfolio.

windowshopping

What's your opinion about this kind of framing the picture and text etc? Because for my it looks too neat and tidy...but probably I'm not right

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
applying, fashion, graduation, portfolio, school