How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-04-2005
yes

can i just ask.......why does everyone do their portfolio's so god damm big
i do my sketch books on A5 and collections in A4.... i find it much easier to go through and more concise

yet every art student is still anal about having the biggest folio somehow

01-04-2005
trendsetter

I spose its to everyones different tastes i find it easier to get a feel of my work quicker with it being on larger boards and stuff + thats what my tutors advised others find it easier to work at a smaller scale, though i do wish i had a smaller folio its too big !!

01-04-2005
offline.

I chnged to a 11x14 portfolio. I find that I can have larger images and show much more detailing in my specs... stitching, measurements.. they all get lost on 8x11.

I'll take pics of mine soon and show it off a little

01-04-2005
crossed wires.

The reason I've got an A1 folder acid, is because of doing art, I have a fair bit few A1 sheets aswell as many smaller sheets and sketchbooks, getting an A1 folder just means I can fit all the different paper sizes when it's needed. I will go on to get smaller folio cases when I do more work of a certain size, I didn't think of it like 'i need the biggest coz its the best'

God just think how easy interviews would be, take in an A1 folder with no work in 'right your in' i wish

01-04-2005
rising star

thank you so much for sharing!!

02-04-2005
tea time

i totally agree with fab on the size front. plus i love working big i mess about with photography so love agranging similar photos one one page instead of flicking through a book of them. although i do agree the size is annoying although it does allow me to display larger pieces of work if i so wish. but they all seem to be on the school wall! i work on A3 size for my fashion though.

plus i get like to look like an anal art student carrying that thing around

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/
02-04-2005
doing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna
I chnged to a 11x14 portfolio. I find that I can have larger images and show much more detailing in my specs... stitching, measurements.. they all get lost on 8x11.

I'll take pics of mine soon and show it off a little

Exactly. You have to put those details high on the list of priorities. A few months ago, I was planning to re-do everything smaller -- to 8x11, but as Luna says that does make details harder to review, also I think the overall impact of the illustrations in a 11x14 is greater. I think I am going to shrink things down just a bit so I have more flexibility with 8x11, but the 11x14 is more advantageous, for fashion folios anyway.

03-04-2005
scenester

ooo...other UK uni people...!
Any of you applying for Leicester/Manchester Met/Preston?

03-04-2005
crossed wires.

Nah, I've applied to Northumbria/Huddersfield/Central Lancs, but I only want to go to Northumbria You got your first interview yet? ^

03-04-2005
yes

i have 2 weeks go to and im cacking myself!
i keep having nightmares that everyone elses work will make mine look laughable

03-04-2005
tea time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid
i have 2 weeks go to and im cacking myself!
i keep having nightmares that everyone elses work will make mine look laughable
my interview is coming up this thursday and i feel the same as you. totally scared

good luck acid

03-04-2005
crossed wires.

mine's friday, help me sweet lord! I dunno what i'm gunna do if i dont get in, (well i'll go to college for a year ) but another year in the house! and not in uni! nooooooo i cant take it. help! i want this course so much

03-04-2005
yes

reece's is next monday and galliano guy's is this week i believe!!

so at least i have 2 weeks more time!

03-04-2005
rising star

I did three portfolios/Interviews in passed 5 years and I got into the programs I want every time. Here are some points I’d like to share, part from my experiences and part form the professors I talked to.

1. A lot of people try to squeeze all the works into one portfolio but it really doesn't matters, you can have two different size portfolios, in a way it enables you to have more variety. I usually have one binder (16.5” by 14.5”) that holds all the small size 2D graphic and 3D photos. Than I have a full size carrier, I’ll put all the originals works either matted or frame with black card board/form board.

2. To including original and different size 2D and 3D of work is very important, it allows you to have some interaction between you and your interviewer.

3. If you have a project that content a series of pages, its batter to have a separate holder, in this case, 8.5” by 11” is ideal; in each page you only need a paragraph and one image. When you walk through the project with your interviewer, “you” flip through the book, for each of page just give the interviewer enough time to brows through the images, don’t let they look deep into it. And, stop at the important pages, this is where you will put high light of the project, concept, main image/design…this gives the interviewer time to take a breath, and for you this is a great chance to see the reaction of the interviewer. If the interviewer is interesting in the project, they often flip back to the pages where you quickly go through, or ask questions when you stop.

4. It is super critical to include different mediums/media/style/method.

5.Try to have as many as original as possible.

Last edited by Cypresses; 03-04-2005 at 09:28 PM.
04-04-2005
tea time

^^^ thanks for the advice

im going out of my mind

i have like three days left

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
applying, fashion, graduation, portfolio, school