How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-04-2005
yes

^ so do you mean smaller is what they prefer?

09-04-2005
Naturellement pulpeuse

What are you applying to, Acid? Aren't you still at that place with the unpronounceable name?

flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna
Here are a few pages of my portfolio.. there's lots more but i'm not attaching it all. :p
i think that looks great luna...
very professional...

10-04-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
i think that looks great luna...
very professional...
Yeah Luna!

doing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna
Here are a few pages of my portfolio.. there's lots more but i'm not attaching it all. :p
Looking good Luna! Love the bags and shoes. I also like your layout backgrounds. Did you put those into photoshop and work it from there or did you cut and paste.

I am planning to jump back into my portfolio work this week (after taking a couple of months off) I am thinking about going out and taking some photos to turn into backgrounds, gotta get to work.

I assume youve gotten great feedback on your portfolio.

10-04-2005
trendsetter

yeah i applied to csm and i had my portfolio review on friday and i got an interview! i think it went really well, i've just gotta wait 2-4 weeks to know if i got in or not

10-04-2005
crossed wires.

^ congratulations victim

25-06-2005
backstage pass

Creating a fashion design portfolio?
I keep kicking myself with every design because I am guessing I should be using a certain type and size of paper and a certain medium. I actually like 8.5x11, pencil, and Copic markers...

What do I need in order to have a competitive and impressive portfolio?

25-06-2005
windowshopping

your portfolio
most schools and companies look for presentations on 11x14 drawing paper mounted on illustration board, with front view, a smaller back view and fabric samples, along with neatly written notes about detailing and such. They also like to see idea boards, where you piece together ideas and swatches, accessories, and cut outs of what inspired a look or theme you are working with. It can be a collage but make sure the idea is well orginized and neet.
try using prismacolor pencils and explore thier markers as well. Make sure to erase all pencil marks on figures or on colored in clothing. Make sure your fashion figures are at least 9 heads tall, (i make mine 10) and always pay great attention to hands and feet. and only show your best work.

some places like thier paper a different size so if you can find out what they are looking for before hand, and always keep copies of your work on a flash drive or disk so you can print from any print shop if you have to resize or something.

hope that helps!

25-06-2005
backstage pass

Thanks a lot Judea.
Why is it so necessary to pay great attention to hands and feet (unless it's just so they do not look awkward)?

Is it acceptable to use pencil as the outline of figures and some fabrics?

25-06-2005
windowshopping

it is if it helps to convey the texture or personality of the fabric or if you are doing it to stylize your illustration. The people who are going to be looking for attention to detail, hands and feet are a good way of judging a persons drive for perfection. If you pay attention to every little detail on a drawing then you will pay attention to every little seem and bead, etc..
some designers do rough drafts of what they want and then hire an illustrator to perfect the actual image and look before presenting, but of course it is best if you can draw well on your own. here some examples of my work- these are not professional leval yet but are close enough to give you an idea of what to go for.

<this is a rough sketch, i did to get the concept.

the hands in these still need a lot of work, but see how the shading and highlighting conveys the drape and texture of the fabrics? I like to do rubbings of found objects to create cool textures to work with too!

Last edited by Judea; 25-06-2005 at 08:39 PM.
25-06-2005
V.I.P.

seth c. i don't know exactly what they are looking for, but i did take a couple fashion classes at college so i may be of some use. i think it would be useful to learn how to draw flats to better explain your croquis. flats can be done on illustrator or by hand w/ pen. there are books you can check out at the library to tell you how to depict certain things like ruffles and buttons correctly. you can do a couple 'roughs', don't be afraid to photocopy or use a light table to get all the proportions and colors right. for instance, you might want to photocopy your basic croquis so you have a few different samples, and in case you mess up. then add color w/ marker, watercolor etc. an option is to scan in your drawings or make high quality color copies and print it out.

it also wouldn't hurt to look at some online portfolios like as portfolios.com to see how they make presentations. when you draw croquis you should use a reference so your figures are consistent, and have the correct measurements.

as far as hands and feet go, they are imporant, especially feet because they ground the figure. you don't necessarily have to color the figures in -- it is important that the figure coloring and details doesn't 'overwhelm' the actual garments. if figure drawing makes you uncomfortable i would advise you to attend some figure drawing classes.

Last edited by travolta; 25-06-2005 at 08:46 PM.
25-06-2005
V.I.P.

I must say Seth, portoflios can be terrifying. But you just have to get it right. I am saying these things not because I have gone through that, but because a lot of my friends have. Make sure you meet every stringent requirement. The right format, the right things. Find out if the school keeps the porfolio. Lots of school do, so presenting colour photocopies of your work may be best. Show that you are capable of doing many things. Something messy, something technically complicated, something creative. Some things to keep in mind:
- Some school have standard croquis that they provide
- If creating your own, a fashion figure is anywhere form 9-12 heads high (as opposed to average person of 8) Nine-ten may be your best bet
- Show the inspiration to your work (notes, art, patterns, etc.)
- Rough sketches may be a requirement. Some people want to see the thought process or how the idea came to be
- Im not sure about this, but I avoid faces. I mean, I can draw them, but I find that they distract from the garment (unless make up is part of the look) I just do an outline and hair.

So yeah, have fun! Dont fret.

"...buttoned up to the breast, and made with wings, welts, and pinions on the shoulder points, as mans apparel is for all the world...and though this be a kinde of attire appropriate onely to man, yet they blush not to wear it..."
25-06-2005
V.I.P.

also, you should keep a sketchbook w/ detailed drawings of your work. you can do quick sketches, but you may want to have a detail of how you think a pocket is constructed, where the seams are and darting etc... also swatches from fabric stores accompanying your sketches would be a really good addition. anything which shows your clarity of vision.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg croquis.JPG (96.8 KB, 94 views)

25-06-2005
V.I.P.

Thats a nice croquis, travolta. Do you mind if I use it?

"...buttoned up to the breast, and made with wings, welts, and pinions on the shoulder points, as mans apparel is for all the world...and though this be a kinde of attire appropriate onely to man, yet they blush not to wear it..."
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
applying, fashion, graduation, portfolio, school